The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Oh wow all honours kids here. No love for majors students? :frown:

What electives are people taking? Anyone taking Politics classes?
Reply 561
Original post by Yash13

No time for electives here :P

I tryed to follow you into majors but full classes so :frown: haha
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Azland
You dont need to meet him. Just mailing him is fine and he'll approve it on your minerva ID within a day or two. Joint honours in Econ/Finance right?

Some required courses are full, can he still squeeze me in? even by mail?
Ok I guess I'll give it a go, if you have the e-mail of the Desautel adviser that'd be cool, there's lots of them not sure which to pick...

Honours in Econ only, hey I want to have some free time! Considering many do a major in Finance only, and few people manage to complete the honours in econ, doing both would be quite an achievement!

What about you?
Reply 563
Original post by Azland
No time for electives here :P

I tryed to follow you into majors but full classes so :frown: haha

Haha oh :tongue: I need help, every semester should I be doing 2 classes for each major and one elective or can you do it however you like? i am still unsure about Math and whether I should take any.

Lool :frown: how are you sendingnlegal documents and your final alevel results?
Reply 564
Original post by Felchingman
Some required courses are full, can he still squeeze me in? even by mail?
Ok I guess I'll give it a go, if you have the e-mail of the Desautel adviser that'd be cool, there's lots of them not sure which to pick...

Honours in Econ only, hey I want to have some free time! Considering many do a major in Finance only, and few people manage to complete the honours in econ, doing both would be quite an achievement!

What about you?

Honours in Econ/Finance for me. Hmm, I'm not sure about the desautel adviser myself. I remember randomly picking one from that huge list and emailing but didn't end up getting a reply. I'm sure you can mail an arts adviser aswell since all you need is the restriction lifted.

Dont think he can squeeze you in although I do think he can place you on the waitlist.
Reply 565
Original post by Yash13
Haha oh :tongue: I need help, every semester should I be doing 2 classes for each major and one elective or can you do it however you like? i am still unsure about Math and whether I should take any.

Lool :frown: how are you sendingnlegal documents and your final alevel results?

However you like I guess, really not sure lol. Exam board will send my results mid august directly and I'll send the legal docs by courier too I guess.

Suprising part is I've still not got my CAQ. It got approved way back but still hasn't reached me. How long did it take for you?
Reply 566
Anyone knows by any chance how to learn Math 140, Math 141 and Math 222 (calculus 1,2 ,3) by ourselves?

I struggle to find the courses contents on Google, or even the textbooks used in these courses.

We use James Stewart's Calculus Full text(single & several variables). Chapters 1 to 12 for calc 1 & 2, except 9, and the rest for Calc 3.

If you want to have an idea of what is calc 2 or 1, here are the McGill pages for them:

-Math 141(Calc 2) Winter 2012: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/drury/teaching/math141w12/math141w12.php
-Math 140(Calc 1) Fall 2012 this is for this year: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/drury/teaching/math140f12/math140f12.php
Reply 567
Original post by Azland
However you like I guess, really not sure lol. Exam board will send my results mid august directly and I'll send the legal docs by courier too I guess.

Suprising part is I've still not got my CAQ. It got approved way back but still hasn't reached me. How long did it take for you?

Haha nice, might drop calc 2 then. How did you organise that, online? What legal documents do we send. Caq, study permit and...

Wth? They are taking their time with you, mine took about 3 weeks. Lol i would say call up but you might have to hear some french opera when on hold, again lol.
Reply 568
Original post by Yash13
Haha nice, might drop calc 2 then. How did you organise that, online? What legal documents do we send. Caq, study permit and...

Wth? They are taking their time with you, mine took about 3 weeks. Lol i would say call up but you might have to hear some french opera when on hold, again lol.

CAQ, Permit, Passport and in some situations a temporary res visa and medical examination ( only some countries ). So your all good to go I guess.

Yeah, will give them a call soon. Worst case I suppose they would give it to me when I reach there directly, not sure.
Reply 569
Original post by Azland
CAQ, Permit, Passport and in some situations a temporary res visa and medical examination ( only some countries ). So your all good to go I guess.

Yeah, will give them a call soon. Worst case I suppose they would give it to me when I reach there directly, not sure.

Cheers! Yes, I need to send it to them and I'm done with that.

Haha yeah I suppose, but it should be done soon I'm guessing they will be more busy at the moment than when I sent my app.

Which frosh you going to? Arts yeah? :smile:
Reply 570
Original post by Yash13
Cheers! Yes, I need to send it to them and I'm done with that.

Haha yeah I suppose, but it should be done soon I'm guessing they will be more busy at the moment than when I sent my app.

Which frosh you going to? Arts yeah? :smile:

Probably yeah, not sure tbh. I'm actually quite shy and not sure how adjusting to montreal is going to be haha.
Reply 571
Original post by Azland
Probably yeah, not sure tbh. I'm actually quite shy and not sure how adjusting to montreal is going to be haha.

Haha dw so am I, it will be fun :smile:
Original post by mast
We use James Stewart's Calculus Full text(single & several variables). Chapters 1 to 12 for calc 1 & 2, except 9, and the rest for Calc 3.

If you want to have an idea of what is calc 2 or 1, here are the McGill pages for them:

-Math 141(Calc 2) Winter 2012: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/drury/teaching/math141w12/math141w12.php
-Math 140(Calc 1) Fall 2012 this is for this year: http://www.math.mcgill.ca/drury/teaching/math140f12/math140f12.php

That's cool man thank you, I thank the internet for pdf :colondollar:
Reply 573
Original post by Yash13

I'm taking comparative gov and politics this term :smile: I've just registered for a bunch of different classes within the Arts faculty,is that normal? I'm so confused by all this major/honours/credits talk,it works so different here in England,you just pick a course and get handed your timetable,I think I'm going to have a lot to get used to!
Reply 574
Original post by xxkimxx
I'm taking comparative gov and politics this term :smile: I've just registered for a bunch of different classes within the Arts faculty,is that normal? I'm so confused by all this major/honours/credits talk,it works so different here in England,you just pick a course and get handed your timetable,I think I'm going to have a lot to get used to!

Awesome so am I! You are going to McGill right? Haha yes. It is doing my head in as well, I keep changing my courses because there are so many options and I am trying to make sure I can wake up later than 10am at least 3 days a week :colone: . LOL I know its so much simpler here, people just turn up to class (lazy gits :P). I am excited though, despite it being a new country n'all.
(edited 11 years ago)
For those who do Honours Economics, I thought we had to take both Econ 250 and Econ 257 in first year, but I was only able to register for Econ 250 and not Econ 257 as it is full. There are fewer places available for Econ 257, and I for sure am not quite understanding why.
Reply 576
For those who do Honours Economics, I thought we had to take both Econ 250 and Econ 257 in first year, but I was only able to register for Econ 250 and not Econ 257 as it is full. There are fewer places available for Econ 257, and I for sure am not quite understanding why.

From the website:

The Qualifying Year

Graduate applicants who do not have an adequate background in either economics or mathematics may be admitted to the Qualifying Year (QY). QY students take three full-year (September-April) Honours undergraduate level courses:

ECON 250D1/D1 Intro to Econ Theory: Honours; and
ECON 257D1/D2 Economic Statistics: Honours; and
ECON 352D1/D2 Macroeconomics: Honours; and
either a fourth year-long course or two semester-long courses.

Substitutions for the core economics courses are possible in special cases.

This year probably a majority of them have prior knowledge of 250 and registered only for 257 since statistics is optional at most undergrad econ courses. Fewer places as some are reserved for them I suppose. 257 is also a viable pre req for some courses like 337 so some people take it just to satisfy a pre req rather then to continue in the honours.

Dont worry though, places keep opening up. I myself just unregistered a few days back and registered again a whole day later.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 577
Original post by Yash13
Awesome so am I! You are going to McGill right? Haha yes. It is doing my head in as well, I keep changing my courses because there are so many options and I am trying to make sure I can wake up later than 10am at least 3 days a week :colone: . LOL I know its so much simpler here, people just turn up to class (lazy gits :P). I am excited though, despite it being a new country n'all.

yeah,I'm going to McGill :smile: I've managed to create the most perfect timetable EVER,the earliest I'm up is at 11,it's a thing of beauty.I'm chopping and changing all the time,I love the sound of pretty much every single course the faculty offers,but so far I've gone for European History,Comparative Gov and Pol,Islamic Civilization,Moral Philosophy and Arabic...that should be enough to keep me busy for a term I'd say :s-smilie: have you been assigned your accomodation yet? I've been given Carrefour Sherbrooke with a double room...it was like my 20th choice so I have mixed feelings about it...
Reply 578
Original post by Ishamo
The 2011 thread was very popular last year and I found it very helpful, so here's the new one.

Questions, answers, worries, problems, stories? Fire away.

(I've been through the application process for both as an international).

Hi Ishamo,
I knw this post is mostly about McGill & UofT, but I was wondering if u cud tell me is Waterloo a good university for a finance program ? & wat r the chances of me getting in it with a gap year & BBB in A Levels (Accounting,Econ,Maths) ? :smile:
Original post by xxkimxx

Hey xxkimxx,

I just registered here to get a bit of information about McGill, so I'm not sure how it works yet :biggrin: If I'm not mistaken I read you were from England - I'm from Belgium (attending The European School) and I'm planning on applying to McGill. I was wondering if you could tell me whether you had to take the SAT or ACT tests to apply? I'm taking the IELTS but I don't know about the other ones.. :colondollar:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending