The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by mpc1
Have you already firmed/insuranced via UCAS and declined the rest?

Yes

what about the US unis? (since they would give out the results by April 1)

I hadn't applied to any US unis that I would choose over Oxford or UCL, so I'm not really bothered by those results

Per your signature, UCL is your insurance. Is it possible to book the accommodation in UCL if its your insurance choice?

You can't apply for UCL housing, you'll have to use UoL Housing Services

Please suggest the best method and time frame to book accommodations for internationals.

If it is your firm choice, you might as well book accommodations as soon as possible. You can find all the details of the application process in http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation

^^^
Reply 1081
Original post by Dnibara
You can't apply for UCL housing, you'll have to use UoL Housing Services

What is UOL housing service and how is it different from UCL housing

This is the link from UCL website that talks about UCL housing

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls

In that link, can you please tell me what is the difference between UCL Halls of Residence vs UCL Student houses?

BTW, it is for insurance. So, if UCL is insurance, what is the procedure to apply for accommodation as I heard UCL does guarantee housing for anyone who marks it as insurance. what about internationals if they miss their firm?

Read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285

So, was wondering since you chose UCL as insurance, what did you do with the accommodation? Have you already declined your other offers .. what is the last date to fix firm and insurance? did u get offer from LSE?
(edited 12 years ago)
Does/did anyone here get the bursaries that Oxford offer? I'm just below £25,000 a year so I should get like £3000 bursary per year but it says in the booklet thing I got that they only tell you on results day whether you're eligible, which is annoying because if I'm not it'll mean I won't really have time to sort something else out :| does anyone know if they automatically give it to people who fall below the threshold, so it's pretty much guaranteed, or is it more selective?
Reply 1083
How good are the college gyms, in particular balliol. I mean do they have power racks/cages? Also if this is not the case, do students get a subsidised fee to a larger gym?
Reply 1084
Original post by gimboid
How good are the college gyms, in particular balliol. I mean do they have power racks/cages? Also if this is not the case, do students get a subsidised fee to a larger gym?

I can only speak for Exeter, but at the start of each term every undergraduate gets batelled 7.50 for membership of the gymnasium / facilities on Iffley Road.
Reply 1085
Original post by doloroushazy
Does/did anyone here get the bursaries that Oxford offer? I'm just below £25,000 a year so I should get like £3000 bursary per year but it says in the booklet thing I got that they only tell you on results day whether you're eligible, which is annoying because if I'm not it'll mean I won't really have time to sort something else out :| does anyone know if they automatically give it to people who fall below the threshold, so it's pretty much guaranteed, or is it more selective?

I don't get any money from them personally, but I know a number of people who get grants from the university and college, and they never complain about it. From what I can tell, they don't quibble and just hand over the money if you can show you are eligible; that's why it is there after all.

Email someone at your college if it is bothering you, but it will all become clear in time, I am sure.
If you were on the 3 year Law Course, would it be possible to swap over onto the 4 year Law Course (which includes a year abroad)? (providing you could prove you were fluent enough in the respective language) The course material for the first year and I think possibly the second is identical... just wondering if anyone has had experience with this or has heard anything about it.

What's the rowing like with regards with beginners? Rowing is something I'd like to try - are there opportunities for beginners?

How many toilets/showers per bed are there? I know it'll vary from college to college and I'll be doing my own research in a bit, but if anyone has any information it'll help. :P
Original post by 15weekwonder
If you were on the 3 year Law Course, would it be possible to swap over onto the 4 year Law Course (which includes a year abroad)? (providing you could prove you were fluent enough in the respective language) The course material for the first year and I think possibly the second is identical... just wondering if anyone has had experience with this or has heard anything about it.

'Law with' students also have language and law classes relevant to the language, on top of the course material everyone has. So I presume the only opportunity to swap would be before you start. I don't know of anyone who has done it, but it could be worth asking if you are truly interested. Although you would need a good answer as to why you didn't apply for the Course II in the first place...

What's the rowing like with regards with beginners? Rowing is something I'd like to try - are there opportunities for beginners?

the only intercollegiate rowing competition in Michaelmas is for novices, and I believe most colleges take part. So yes, there are opportunities for beginners. lots of colleges have rowing taster sessions in freshers week

How many toilets/showers per bed are there? I know it'll vary from college to college and I'll be doing my own research in a bit, but if anyone has any information it'll help.

don't know what college you're at, so it really won't be much use. My college has a mix of ensuite and shared, with the shared between no more than 4 as far as I can think

xx
Reply 1088
Original post by gimboid

Don't know about Balliol (you might be better off finding someone from there and messaging them if you're desperate to know), but Merton's gym is free but fairly tiny; it has some cardio machines, a few ergs and what seem to be the standard weights machines; not loads in the way of free weights.

How many toilets/showers per bed are there? I know it'll vary from college to college and I'll be doing my own research in a bit, but if anyone has any information it'll help. :P

Rowing is pretty good generally for beginners; I think the Christ Church regatta, which is the first big competition in Michaelmas, is only for beginners? Most people won't have done much rowing before they arrive.

And as for toilets/showers there is literally no useful answer someone can give without knowing where you're staying: it doesn't just vary college to college but building to building. There will be somewhere for you to get clean and go to the toilet, worry not!
Original post by dbmag9
Don't know about Balliol (you might be better off finding someone from there and messaging them if you're desperate to know), but Merton's gym is free but fairly tiny; it has some cardio machines, a few ergs and what seem to be the standard weights machines; not loads in the way of free weights.

Rowing is pretty good generally for beginners; I think the Christ Church regatta, which is the first big competition in Michaelmas, is only for beginners? Most people won't have done much rowing before they arrive.

And as for toilets/showers there is literally no useful answer someone can give without knowing where you're staying: it doesn't just vary college to college but building to building. There will be somewhere for you to get clean and go to the toilet, worry not!

why did you choose maths&phil Ox over straight maths at Camb, were you particularly drawn to the philosophy side, and hw do the two subjects work together, is it a good mix? :smile:
Original post by dbmag9

Thank you very much! All very useful information to me.

Original post by Poppyxx
'Law with' students also have language and law classes relevant to the language, on top of the course material everyone has. So I presume the only opportunity to swap would be before you start. I don't know of anyone who has done it, but it could be worth asking if you are truly interested. Although you would need a good answer as to why you didn't apply for the Course II in the first place...

I didn't apply for deferred entry and I'll be taking a gap year this September.
I plan to take a Spanish A-Level in 1 year during this time and obviously won't have the qualification for when the UCAS Cycle starts.
If all goes well I should be able to present the qualification in October 2013 - not sure what my chances of swapping over are but it's worth a shot.
Even if I don't manage to swap over at the start, if I could prove I was fluent enough at Spanish (at least to keep up with the others) by 2014, would I have a chance of swapping over?
Even if I don't manage to transfer to the 'Law with' course I'll be attending Language classes anyway.
(I realise I haven't even applied yet, but I just want to know as much as I can before I make a big decision like this)
Original post by doloroushazy

I'd imagine its automatically given. Oxford's bursaries tend to be very under-used.

Original post by gimboid

College gyms are generally very limited in terms of free weights - they are scared of newbs killing themselves. Probably a valid concern, to be fair.

Even if they do have an Iffey gym subscription, i'm not sure the power-lifters room is necessarily covered. Its a completely separate room to the 'gym' (which itself is also very small compared to what i'm used to at home).

Rowing at Oxford is entirely set up for beginners. People who had utterly no intention of rowing before they came end up dedicating three years to it. If you actually want to row, you'll be fine.
Reply 1092
Original post by tooambitious
why did you choose maths&phil Ox over straight maths at Camb, were you particularly drawn to the philosophy side, and hw do the two subjects work together, is it a good mix? :smile:

Because I like both, and wanted to study both? MathPhil also gets you out of all the applied stuff on the maths side, which I'm definitely not complaining about.

As for the course, you do roughly half and half, although the nature of teaching on each side means you get a lot more teaching time on maths, at least in first year. I'm quite liking the mix so far.

It is quite unlikely you would be able to swap, because there are only a certain number of places on the four-year course.

However if someone with a place did not make their grades or did not get the required marks in the first year exams to continue with the four year course, then it might be possible, probably at the end of first year. As with all these things, if you don't ask you don't get, but don't get your hopes up.
Original post by Festina lente
It is quite unlikely you would be able to swap, because there are only a certain number of places on the four-year course.

However if someone with a place did not make their grades or did not get the required marks in the first year exams to continue with the four year course, then it might be possible, probably at the end of first year. As with all these things, if you don't ask you don't get, but don't get your hopes up.

Sounds good.

I like leaving my options open, so if my language studies do go well it's good to know that I can combine them with Law in the future if I wish (even if it is unlikely).

My friend applied for the 3 year Law Course but also phoned Oxford up and told them he was also interested in the International and French courses - he got offered all 3! (or maybe he applied for the International to begin with and then got offered International, French and the standard 3 year... I don't know, but he got offered quite a variety :colondollar:)
Reply 1095
Original post by mpc1
What is UOL housing service and how is it different from UCL housing

This is the link from UCL website that talks about UCL housing

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/halls

In that link, can you please tell me what is the difference between UCL Halls of Residence vs UCL Student houses?

BTW, it is for insurance. So, if UCL is insurance, what is the procedure to apply for accommodation as I heard UCL does guarantee housing for anyone who marks it as insurance. what about internationals if they miss their firm?

Read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555285

So, was wondering since you chose UCL as insurance, what did you do with the accommodation? Have you already declined your other offers .. what is the last date to fix firm and insurance? did u get offer from LSE?

Well, the site says Halls of Residence are catered accommodation, while Student Houses are not catered
And the UCL website definitely said they don't guarantee accommodation for people who mark it as insurance
I don't really know much else about the accommodation process - I wasn't going to worry about it unless I missed my conditions for Oxford. Sorry:frown:
Reply 1096
My sister at Cambridge can stay for week or so before and after teaching finishes. Is this the same in Oxford or is there just the 8 weeks a term where you have to leave straight away? It would be nice to spend some time in Oxford without any work for a week :smile:

Thanks
Original post by JayReg
My sister at Cambridge can stay for week or so before and after teaching finishes. Is this the same in Oxford or is there just the 8 weeks a term where you have to leave straight away? It would be nice to spend some time in Oxford without any work for a week :smile:

Thanks

It depends on your college, and in some cases what year you are in.

My college is quite strict about making first years leave at the weekend at the end of 8th week (unless you have prelims/mods in 9th week of course).

Depends if your college is one that uses its accommodation for conferences and so on once term is over.

The end of Michaelmas is also slightly different because obviously they need rooms for interview candidates.

So without knowing the specifics of your college, we can't be a whole lot of help - sorry!!
Reply 1098
Original post by JayReg

Thanks

Depends on the college and their policy. Magdalen, for example, are very relaxed about staying on, it's essentially a rubber stamp on a form (although you have to pay, of course!) and a vague reason. End of Michaelmas is slightly different due to interview candidates but there is enough space to house people who have good reasons for staying even then. New College on the other hand seems to be really pretty strict about it.
Original post by JayReg

Thanks

A week before is universally fine, i think. A week after is possible, but more difficult and is unusual, unlike at Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending