The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Does it make any difference due to the fact that the Queen Square pupillage is commencing 2012 and not 2013, or should it be advertised on there regardless?
Original post by scavo86
Does it make any difference due to the fact that the Queen Square pupillage is commencing 2012 and not 2013, or should it be advertised on there regardless?

still has to be advertised
Original post by IllegallyBlonde20
found another one... walnut house- says it on their website- yet no sign of anything on PP.

doesnt seem to be all that uncommon if you ask me! tut!

It's possibly PP rather than the chambers themselves. There were some pupillages advertised on there before PP did the main update at the beginning of March, which then disappeared.
I did a mini at Walnut House, friendly set :smile: (despite their naughtiness with the PP)
Reply 324
Hi all, I've been doing my sweep of the pupillages on offer over the last couple of days and noticed some glaring omissions (looking at crime, in London) - sets who are advertising on their website that you need to apply via the Pupillage Portal, but that DON'T actually appear on the PP at all. Which is insane.

I've called 5 of them this morning - 3 of which have already got back to me and have clarified that they are offering pupillage and they're going to be contacting PP to find out what's gone wrong.

So, if a set you're interested in doesn't yet appear - hold firm, there are technical gremlins. Again.
Reply 325
I'm sure we'll hear from PP who will say that the sets didn't submit properly, or similar.

I have now been through 42 criminal sets in and around London. 7 of them seem to be affected. I will not mention them here because I've spoken to each of them, and they're all as annoyed as I am!
Original post by orange_balloon
Hay guys,

Just a quick question for anyone that has applied to Hailsham - have you received confirmation of receipt for your application? I have a feeling that the nice Post Office lady that advised me I did not need 2 stamps was wrong...I can see the faces of the pupillage committee now - being charged for extra delivery! So professional....:s-smilie: :frown:

A friend had the same issue last year. She still got the pupillage!
Original post by InnerTemple
A friend had the same issue last year. She still got the pupillage!

Thank you! That's made me mightily relieved! Maybe the sets put you to the top of the pile for interview because they want their money back?!
Reply 328
True. If I'd relied on PP, I'd never have known that so many sets (including my second choice set (in cloud perfect cuckoo land)) were failing to show up properly.
Reply 329
Can someone clarify what on earth personal/employment reference mean? I've only been employed by my university, and my employers were my academic tutors/teachers. Other internships/etc. are out of the question as the people there will have nothing meaningful to say about me whatsoever. My other option is an old family friend who has known me for 12+ years and has plenty to say about communicability, determination. etc.

What's the best way to proceed?
Reply 330
Original post by AFRiley
Can someone clarify what on earth personal/employment reference mean? I've only been employed by my university, and my employers were my academic tutors/teachers. Other internships/etc. are out of the question as the people there will have nothing meaningful to say about me whatsoever. My other option is an old family friend who has known me for 12+ years and has plenty to say about communicability, determination. etc.

What's the best way to proceed?

Old family friend = personal reference
Employment = employers reference inc internships that you obviously made an impression...
University = academic reference.

What did your teachers who "employed" you employ you to do???
Original post by orange_balloon
Thank you! That's made me mightily relieved! Maybe the sets put you to the top of the pile for interview because they want their money back?!

Maybe that's the trick then. I handed my application in by hand, so I know it arrived, and haven't had a confirmation.
Reply 332
Original post by FMQ
Old family friend = personal reference
Employment = employers reference inc internships that you obviously made an impression...
University = academic reference.

What did your teachers who "employed" you employ you to do???

I worked as an admissions assistant alongside my tutor. The OLPAS form specifically terms it as "employment/personal" reference, hence the confusion. Do they want an employment OR personal reference?

I suppose I could try to get references from leaders in various volunteer projects I'm been on, if it comes to that...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 333
Original post by AFRiley
I worked as an admissions assistant alongside my tutor. The OLPAS form specifically terms it as "employment/personal" reference, hence the confusion. Do they want an employment OR personal reference?

I suppose I could try to get references from leaders in various volunteer projects I'm been on, if it comes to that...

Well that is employment then!

Yes either or.
Reply 334
Original post by IllegallyBlonde20
FYI apparently referees only get contacted in exceptional circumstances, so I wouldnt pull ur hair out over it.

see this...

http://thestudentlawyer.com/2012/03/29/five-minutes-with-alastair-hodge-pupillage-applications-and-interviews/

This is true - i dont think i have ever had a reference checked in my working life. Similarily i have never shown any employer a certificate/trancript or anything to verify my qualifications.
Reply 335
I was under the impression that OLPAS automatically requests references via e-mail - i.e., the referees get sent something asking them to upload a reference? At least, that's what the instruction imply...

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Just wondering, has anyone heard from; Farringdon, 18SJS or 4KBW?
Original post by _EternalOptimist_
Just wondering, has anyone heard from; Farringdon, 18SJS or 4KBW?

Nothing from Farringdon.
Original post by InnerTemple
Nothing from Farringdon.

Ditto. And nothing from 18SJS since their letter acknowledging receipt of my app.
Original post by olpasdisliker
Ditto. And nothing from 18SJS since their letter acknowledging receipt of my app.

Nothing from Farringdon either

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending