The Student Room Group

How can I cope with looking younger than my age? Does anyone else have this problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
19 but people have said i look 15 and people sometimes refuse to believe im 19 -_-
Reply 41
Apparently I looked older when I was 12 than I do now (at 17!) I still use the passport photo taken then on my driving licence and everything. The general consensus was that short hair made me look older ?! Maybe try that?
Reply 42
I totally understand !!

I'm 18 skinny and weigh a bit less then you and I'm cursed with the baby face I wouldn't really care but the fact I'm only 5"3 adds to the problem

A few weeks ago I got asked for Id to go see a movie rated 12

I've recieved many comments from potential employers to strangers in the street

And wearing more makeup usually fails as it looks as if I've fallen in my mums makeup box

It does get really annoying and depressing expecially when kids from yr7 start chatting you up at the bus stop or something but recently when random people have made a comment I just say " I've discovered the fountain of youth" and that shuts them up :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by runtoyou

I can relate to you OP. I'm 21 but I often get told I look about 18. Sometimes even 16. I'm also on the short side (5"2) and I have been told many times I have "cute" features, big eyes etc. The women in my family have really youthful looks and great skin so I also think it's hereditary...so I'll look great in 10 years time :colondollar:

It does get annoying sometimes getting ID'd everywhere but I think by the sounds of it you just have to ignore what people think. Because if you are feeling self conscious about what people think of you then it probably shows on the outside, in your face, your posture etc and you might not even realise.

E.g. if you're out in public or going to buy something with an age limit and feeling anxious about it then take a moment to register how you're stood or how you're walking - stand up straight, walk with more confidence/presence. Then again it might not apply to you at all but it has really worked a lot for me. The other night when I went out to a bar with friends, I was the only one who didn't get ID'd, as the bouncer said I looked about 23, which I was very surprised at! I think a large part of it is how you carry yourself and how you feel on the inside. So yeah, try not to worry about what other people think - it's none of their business. And just think about how youthful you're gonna look when you're 50! :wink:
I'm virtually 18, but most strangers mistake me for being 21. To be honest, looking young for your age is advantageous because it shows your youthfulness and healthy lifestyle. After all, come 31, and you'll want to look 10 years younger more than anything else! :biggrin:
Yeah I'm 18 and people think im <15. They spend ages looking at my ID (although this an be an advantage - at Tesco the woman at the checkout spent so long trying to find a fault with my ID that she forgot to charge me for the Baileys :colone:) and aways question me on it. Im not even small or anything. Also last time I went through a drive through i made the order on the speaker then as I pulled up to the window the guy that was taking the money just stared at me and looked at my 16 year old brother (who also looks older than me) and laughed (trying to cover it up of course)!

The good news is we'll look younger when we're older! :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm 19 and look about 16 at the most! But think of it this way..when youre 50, youll only look 30something! :biggrin: I'd so much rather look younger than older and son't worry about what people think or say to you! They're just judging and being silly :biggrin: Embrace looking young because one day people will be jealous :smile:
Looking ridiculously young runs in my family. (From both sides evidently as my mum is not my sisters mum)
Here's my sister and me

I'm 20 she's 30
and here's my mum when she was 19/20

My mum's 60 this year and doesn't look anywhere near it, so it's good in the long run!
Original post by I<3GraphicNovels
Yeah... 6ft1 and wear a size 16 ish. No jokes please.

You're the same build as my (little) sis. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by effofex
How is it a problem?

You are the lucky people.

Because you feel like a **** aged 23 getting IDed for a lottery ticket or a 15 film, especially around your friends who actually look their age.
I work in a bar and when Ive been left in charge and triedt o deal with drunk people alls I get screwed at me is 'EFF OFF. You're not even old enough to work here!' It can get frustrating and humilating.
I'm 23 but still look about 16. I'm short, dumpy, round faced and have wild hair. I generally dress like a teen as well - fun t-shirts, hoodies, jeans and trainers. Even if I dress up a bit or wear smart 'businesswear' I still look like a 6th former. Strangely, when I was younger I always looked 2-3 years older ...

Doesn't help that I'm involved with a 41 year old. People must think I'm his kid (until they see us acting like a couple).
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm 21 next month but I look like I should still be at school. :frown:
Well I'm almost 20 and have been ID'd for a 15 movie :sigh: I even had a guy at my local Tesco say he wouldn't serve me alcohol even though I showed him my ID telling me there was no way I was 19 :tongue:

I don't see it as being too bad though, I figure I'd rather look younger than older than my age :biggrin:
My mates tell me I look like a baby (from the side especially) - I'm 22 :confused:

Original post by a moist feeling
Well I'm almost 20 and have been ID'd for a 15 movie :sigh:

When I was 19 I got ID'd for Red Bull in Sainsbury's, Guitar Hero (a 12) also in Sainsbury's and a Harry Potter DVD when I was 21, also in Sainsbury's.

In short, Sainsbury's have absolutely NO common sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm 20 and look around 15 depending on how much make-up I have on or what I'm wearing. The most important piece of advice I can give you is... get used to smiling politely when you're told for the millionth time that 'you'll be glad of it in a few years!' 'Oh, really...'
Reply 55
Original post by Tw1x

Why was I negged for this? :confused:
Wanting to look like an adult at 23 years old instead of a child is a bad thing?
Reply 56
I have the same thing going on.. im 21 5ft 4, but i look about 16... even if i dress older i look about 18/19 max.. which on general i decided im gunna be happy about. The only thing that annoys me is when im in shops and sales stuff look down on me like im a teenager who cant afford to browse their bloody items. ugh.

anyway.. in future as people already said..will be a good thing.

my mum is 60 and she looks about 40 :smile:.

but it does get abit sad ... i hate to look like a child at 21, but the stage will pass..
(edited 12 years ago)
Embrace your cuteness :biggrin:
I'm 18 and I've been told I look 13... I'm small (5 ft 1) and I have such baby face, as annoying as it is at the moment, I can't wait until I'm older and look younger than I am :redface:

Today I was at hospital visiting my Mom and someone came up to me and said 'Don't you go to school?'... :frown:
I said to them I finished college early and they were like... :eek: You go to college?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
I get this :frown: I have a really round baby face and am only about 5'7, so everyone legitimately thinks I'm 13.

We'll be sexy as geriatrics :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest