The Student Room Group

Would you consider 22 too old for 18 even if the 18 year old is in college?

I have been chatting with this girl on Instagram whose profile showed in the suggested profile list. She said she is 18 and I am 22. Usually most people with whom I chat have graduated high school in 2022 or before that(so most of them are usually 19 and older and even if 18, they are very close to turning 19) but this girl completed just got into college and completed high school in 2023 and I am about to complete college and then study MBA. Actually I never had a girlfriend before and chat with multiple girls on Instagram usually in the 19-22 age range and wanna ask one out. So I have been chatting with this 18 year old for over a week but today suddenly she said we can't chat as she finds me weird and she doesn't know me well(we used to be in the same school but didn't know each other in school). Then she said me to stop texting her and then I eventually said how I just wanted to get to know her and maybe then ask her out for a coffee. Then she replied "Wtf bruh U r too old". Then I asked her how am I too old and then she replied "you tell me whats your age?" Then I replied "I am 22 so just 4 years older than you. We are both college age students and 18 is an adult too. I am not 25 or 30". Then she replied "I don't like u and will never like you. Stop texting me, its annoying". Then she blocked me. Is 22 really too old 18 even if she is already in college? Or is it because she just graduated high school? The ones who completed high school in 2022 doesn't even seem to mind my age but again they are mostly 19 year olds now.
Well I don't think so, but I think she rejected you mostly because she's just started college, wants to have fun, flings, one night stands, those kind of stuff with people her age or 1 year older. Maybe if she was older the age gap wouldn't have been a issue, and she'd be more mature in terms of making an informed decisions. Obviously rejecting you is her choice which we must respect but don't take it to heart.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been chatting with this girl on Instagram whose profile showed in the suggested profile list. She said she is 18 and I am 22. Usually most people with whom I chat have graduated high school in 2022 or before that(so most of them are usually 19 and older and even if 18, they are very close to turning 19) but this girl completed just got into college and completed high school in 2023 and I am about to complete college and then study MBA. Actually I never had a girlfriend before and chat with multiple girls on Instagram usually in the 19-22 age range and wanna ask one out. So I have been chatting with this 18 year old for over a week but today suddenly she said we can't chat as she finds me weird and she doesn't know me well(we used to be in the same school but didn't know each other in school). Then she said me to stop texting her and then I eventually said how I just wanted to get to know her and maybe then ask her out for a coffee. Then she replied "Wtf bruh U r too old". Then I asked her how am I too old and then she replied "you tell me whats your age?" Then I replied "I am 22 so just 4 years older than you. We are both college age students and 18 is an adult too. I am not 25 or 30". Then she replied "I don't like u and will never like you. Stop texting me, its annoying". Then she blocked me. Is 22 really too old 18 even if she is already in college? Or is it because she just graduated high school? The ones who completed high school in 2022 doesn't even seem to mind my age but again they are mostly 19 year olds now.

The age calculator is

For men: (Your age / 2) + 7 years. With a minimum age of 18 for legal reasons.

For women: (Her age - 7 years) x 2
Reply 3
Speaking from a general stance, no, you're not too old. She's 18, in college and there are only four years between you two. That's a normal age difference for a lot of young couples. You could be too old for her if her preference is someone closer to her age.

However, her harshness was unnecessary. It's not like you're some old creep. You're only four years apart. She probably just wasn't interested and wasn't mature enough to state that in an amicable way. She should have just said that she didn't feel a spark with you, or that she wanted to have fun in college. Don't take the rejection to heart. At least, you don't have to waste any more energy on chasing her.
Original post by DarylO
Speaking from a general stance, no, you're not too old. She's 18, in college and there are only four years between you two. That's a normal age difference for a lot of young couples. You could be too old for her if her preference is someone closer to her age.

However, her harshness was unnecessary. It's not like you're some old creep. You're only four years apart. She probably just wasn't interested and wasn't mature enough to state that in an amicable way. She should have just said that she didn't feel a spark with you, or that she wanted to have fun in college. Don't take the rejection to heart. At least, you don't have to waste any more energy on chasing her.

Many young women often say that they want men of their own ‘age’ which generally means the same age or a couple older.

They tend to stick to that stance until they realise that men of their own age cannot (in general) provide the long-term security that they crave at that point in time.

I think that realisation tends to come when they start thinking of long term prospects which is about 28/29.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Many young women often say that they want men of their own ‘age’ which generally means the same age or a couple older.

They tend to stick to that stance until they realise that men of their own age cannot (in general) provide the long-term security that they crave at that point in time.

I think that realisation tends to come when they start thinking of long term prospects which is about 28/29.

That's a whole other discussion I am not interested in. Nothing wrong with women choosing to stick to people their own age. I've met many couples like that and they're very happy and healthy. Live and let live. If a woman doesn't want someone older than her, that is her choice just as men can choose not to date older women.
Original post by DarylO

That's a whole other discussion I am not interested in. Nothing wrong with women choosing to stick to people their own age. I've met many couples like that and they're very happy and healthy. Live and let live. If a woman doesn't want someone older than her, that is her choice just as men can choose not to date older women.

Your response sounded a bit OTT. My post was not in anyway critical of the OP or the fundamental theme of this thread. I was simply adding to your commentary.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with one dating within their preferences whether it is age, gender, race, level of sexual purity or other elements.
I mean its legal and everything but at 22 I felt a lot older than 18 year olds even if the gap is only 4 years
Original post by CoolCavy
I mean its legal and everything but at 22 I felt a lot older than 18 year olds even if the gap is only 4 years

When you were 22, you would have been comfortable dating a 26 year old?

how old do you think it is too old?
Reply 9
Your response sounded a bit OTT. My post was not in anyway critical of the OP or the fundamental theme of this thread. I was simply adding to your commentary.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with one dating within their preferences whether it is age, gender, race, level of sexual purity or other elements.

I didn't think you were critical of the OP or the fundamental theme of this thread. I thought you were being unnecessarily critical of women who choose to stick to men within their age group, and I made it clear that I didn't like such discussions. How else was I supposed to interprete a comment implying that women who choose to stick within their age group are going to realize they made the wrong stance?

I don't know how others will view the comment but that does not exactly scream 'There is nothing wrong with one dating within their preferences' to me. But you do you. Thank you for adding to my commentary.
Original post by DarylO
I didn't think you were critical of the OP or the fundamental theme of this thread. I thought you were being unnecessarily critical of women who choose to stick to men within their age group, and I made it clear that I didn't like such discussions. How else was I supposed to interprete a comment implying that women who choose to stick within their age group are going to realize they made the wrong stance?

I don't know how others will view the comment but that does not exactly scream 'There is nothing wrong with one dating within their preferences' to me. But you do you. Thank you for adding to my commentary.

That’s fair. Best to leave it there. All the best.
When you were 22, you would have been comfortable dating a 26 year old?

how old do you think it is too old?

Not really to be honest, it would depend on the person but I feel like a 22 and 26 year old are possibly at different life stages. E.g wanting to settle down/have kids (bit irrelevant in my circumstance but still) whereas I don't currently want to be tied down.

I feel like the disparity is more obvious at a younger age, for example I wouldn't really want to date anyone much younger than myself as I feel like someone just starting uni and myself are again at different life stages.

I think that disparity does become smaller as you get older. As of right now im not looking for a girlfrield anyway so it's all somewhat of an academic point.
Original post by CoolCavy
Not really to be honest, it would depend on the person but I feel like a 22 and 26 year old are possibly at different life stages. E.g wanting to settle down/have kids (bit irrelevant in my circumstance but still) whereas I don't currently want to be tied down.

I feel like the disparity is more obvious at a younger age, for example I wouldn't really want to date anyone much younger than myself as I feel like someone just starting uni and myself are again at different life stages.

I think that disparity does become smaller as you get older. As of right now im not looking for a girlfrield anyway so it's all somewhat of an academic point.

That’s interesting, as you view it along the line of life stages.

Do you think that same approach would apply to a man with an older woman i.e. 22 year old lad with a 26 year old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending