The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nina Nia
Hi all!

Do students attend the same lectures and are taught by the same professors at different colleges? I read that Lucy Cavendish has limited number of lecturers. :frown:((( I thought it would be a perfect place for me. I am a mature student.

Yes. Lectures are the responsibility of the dept. not the college.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/colleges-and-departments
For someone who narrowly missed out on a place on the undergrad maths course (failed offer, 3A* + 1,3,1 in STEP) how realistic a goal is it to aim to study at Cambridge at postgraduate level?

If it is achievable, what are they looking for and what do I need to do to make my application as strong as possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PoisonSky
For someone who narrowly missed out on a place on the undergrad maths course (failed offer, 3A* + 1,3,1 in STEP) how realistic a goal is it to aim to study at Cambridge at postgraduate level?

If it is achievable, what are they looking for and what do I need to do to make my application as strong as possible?

It would heavily depend on your undergrad degree performance. You would need a First.

"The MASt/MMath is a mathematically challenging and intensive course for well-qualified students with a high level of independence and self motivation. The minimum entry requirement for non-Cambridge graduates is normally a UK first class honours degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, or statistics, or an equivalent qualification."
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii/prospective.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you for your reply. But what do they mean when they say that the ratio of teaching stuff is different and limited? the structure of the course must be the same, am I ight? I am going to study art history.
Thank you for your reply. But what do they mean when they say that the ratio of teaching stuff is different and limited? the structure of the course must be the same, am I ight? I am going to study art history.

(Please quote posters when replying otherwise they might get lost...)

The course is the responsibility of the dept. It's the same course, same lecturers, same exams across the uni.

For smaller courses the colleges work together to deliver the college-level teaching (ie supervisions).

Please provide a link to the text you are worried about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PoisonSky

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone I know missed their offer, went to do 3 years at Warwick (incredibly well), aced Part III and is now doing a PhD at Princeton.
I wish I could . I cannot find it anymore. I must have misunderstood. There is no difference which college you attend, then.
I wish I could . I cannot find it anymore. I must have misunderstood. There is no difference which college you attend, then.

(Please quote posters when replying otherwise the discussions might get lost...)

There are differences, but they are more similar than they are different...

The departmental teaching is the same.
(I always quote members, but right now it doesn't let me do it. Strange......)
That's what I was trying to find out regarding teaching. Thank you very much. If I find that part of the text which confused me, I will post it.
Perhaps at a bigger college you have more chances of making friends :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
I know this has been asked before but what is the best phone signal in Cambridge? In particular Pembroke college.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I know this has been asked before but what is the best phone signal in Cambridge? In particular Pembroke college.

When I was there (at Pembroke), O2 was generally good.

Phone signal is usually fine with any, but Internet access in town centre can be really rubbish.....
What college has the best interntet connection?
What college has the highest no of natural sciences students?
Original post by bekinwari

I imagine they are all pretty similar for speed - but mb restrictions do vary.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
Original post by bekinwari

All colleges/faculities have their own wifi and as long as you're logged in to them, there shouldn't be any difference in speed,
Bit of a long shot, but will save me from asking the same question to everyone in my MCR the next few days: anyone know a couple of good folk sessions around here?
Original post by vincrows
Phone signal is usually fine with any, but Internet access in town centre can be really rubbish.....

and doesn't exist at all inside queens', at least for o2 :-/
Original post by ianuam
Bit of a long shot, but will save me from asking the same question to everyone in my MCR the next few days: anyone know a couple of good folk sessions around here?

I'm sure others will know a lot more than me, but I know the Cambridge Ceilidh band do loads of events which are really fun :smile:

Not too sure about Pembroke, but around Cambridge in general I used to be on 3 and the signal was abysmal. Switched (back) to O2 and now get signal pretty much everywhere (and even 4G in some places).
Hello, I have a few questions about King's:

1. What is the atmosphere like? I've heard that students at King's are rather politically active - is there any kind of pressure or implicit expectation to take part in political debates/have interest in those matters?

2. Does King's offer any benefits to its students, or at least those who gets firsts/do well academically? Stuff like book grants, monetary subsidies for various things, etc?

3. Is it possible for international students to stay over for the Christmas and Easter vacations, and does this cost more?

4. If so, is it possible to do work for the College, either part-time or full-time during the vacations to cover part of the rent?

5. I've understood that there are pianos available for playing. Are they often booked and is it hard to get access to them? Where are they located? Can you use them late at night or early in the morning? Whats the sound insulation like (I don't want anyone to hear my scheisse playing :colondollar:)?

6. How traditional is King's compared to the universe in general and the more traditional colleges in particular?
Thanks a kiloton!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending