The Student Room Group

Getting Ds at A-Level - where to apply (fast advice, sending UCAS off tomorrow)

I wanted to do Creative Writing or Journalism... Or something in computing.
Reply 1
What are your predicted grades? And i think you need to be more specific on your courses... you don't seem very dedicated.
Reply 2
You really shouldn't apply if you're not sure on what you want to do.
Reply 3
Agree with the above, if you're unsure and asking a student forum to help you make important decisions, you should reconsider whether university is for you.
You don't need to go to university if you're not sure what you want to do. If you don't know at all then you won't enjoy your time there and probably drop out with unnecessary debt.
Reply 5
Original post by Freak Out

My advice would be to apply to places to which you meet the entry requirements. They might be less prstigious universities, but thats the only way you're going to get an offer.

Aside from that, you then need to seriously consider whether university is what you want. Why have you left it so late? It's obviously not very important to you is it? I would seriously advise against just going to uni for 'the hell of it' you'll rack up ****loads of debt and be forever paying it off. Trust me you'll regret it. It seems to me like a gap year might do you good.
Reply 6
I think the unsure on my courses comments are unfair; I listed the things I love? So I'm not that unstable. I've had Journalism and Creative Writing from the beginning. Computing is just another passion of mine; they all are. I left it late because I didn't need to send it off before the deadline and couldn't get the money in time. I've applied to some already but they need Bs/Cs and I'm predicted Cs/Ds... I'm unlikely to get the requirements.

Uni is for me, I used to enjoy learning and everything but I've had health problems for a while which have sapped me of energy and motivation so my mental functioning has been very low these past couple of years, but I'm going to the dr. on Monday. If I were to leave it, then what would I do in the meantime? Another reason for Uni was to get away from this house. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I think the unsure on my courses comments are unfair; I listed the things I love? So I'm not that unstable. I've had Journalism and Creative Writing from the beginning. Computing is just another passion of mine; they all are. I left it late because I didn't need to send it off before the deadline and couldn't get the money in time. I've applied to some already but they need Bs/Cs and I'm predicted Cs/Ds... I'm unlikely to get the requirements.

Uni is for me, I used to enjoy learning and everything but I've had health problems for a while which have sapped me of energy and motivation so my mental functioning has been very low these past couple of years, but I'm going to the dr. on Monday. If I were to leave it, then what would I do in the meantime? Another reason for Uni was to get away from this house. :frown:

What grades do you think you can get and in what subjects and what kind of university environment do you want i.e. city and how far from any location.

That is completely fine, but I think what the above people are saying is that are you sure that university is for you? You should be careful about applying for universities where the offers are above what you're predicted to get because they'll either reject you based on the fact that you don't meet their entry requirements or you'll get an offer which in the end you might not achieve and you'll be in clearing (though the first option is the more likely).

How about taking a gap year and working on some of your A levels while perhaps getting some work experience in journalism? This might not seem like the best option at the moment, but you say that one reason to go to university is to get way from home and another that you used to enjoy learning. You should be interested in the subject that you want to take and I think that you should consider carefully why you are applying for university and also, if you do apply, where you are applying.

If you choose to apply, then look on the UCAS website and on individual university websites because their listings will be up to date while UCAS may not have updated, but will give you a general idea of courses with your grades. You may be able to take computing modules alongside your other modules so just stick to one subject because, with two such distinct subjects, you'll struggle to convey a sincere passion for either subject on your application.

I would consider your options carefully and also remember that you don't have to go to university. There is nothing wrong with not applying at the moment and no-one is forcing you to, but if you do apply, don't apply for more than two universities whose entry requirements are higher than your predicted grades because you risk getting 5 rejections.
go for courses that are typically undersubscribed, or offer a foundation year. that's what I did and it worked out well.
I agree with all the advice given by toronto353, but if you are serious about a particular course and not particularly bothered about the prestige of the university you wish to attend, apply for a foundation year or a course with similar grade requirements as you are predicted, applying to unis wanting more come with a high chance of rejection. It's getting very close to the deadline but if you have a couple of unis in mind, have a look around and see if they suit your needs.
(edited 12 years ago)

I honestly wouldn't bother putting myself through Uni with Ds at A-Level... just my opinion, I'd not bother and do something else.
If you wanted, you can do creative writing and journalism without going to uni you know. I've been considering them also and found that there are things like apprenticeships, NCTJ courses, internships and freelance opportunities in those fields.
Reply 13
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
If you wanted, you can do creative writing and journalism without going to uni you know. I've been considering them also and found that there are things like apprenticeships, NCTJ courses, internships and freelance opportunities in those fields.

I agree op should do this
open university is another option
University of West Scotland
Original post by ChapelTom
I honestly wouldn't bother putting myself through Uni with Ds at A-Level... just my opinion, I'd not bother and do something else.

Ahh sod your negs. University isn't for everyone, its normally for those with decent enough grades to go, there's other options in life, a degree doesn't guarantee a job anyway thanks to Labour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending