The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feeling okay about it I guess, keep getting around 70 - 75% in practice tests, so that should be around a C hopefully.

For the topics that are being revised the most, it'd have to be Globalisation, not my personal choice, but it just keeps cropping up in lessons =/ Would prefer something else like Multinationals to be focused on a bit more.

I'm a tad unsure whether we need to know about Distribution Channels. It is on our syllabus but the teachers say we don't need it =S Anyone else done DCs?
Reply 2
Sorry - I should have specified. I meant A2 Economics Unit 3.
Reply 3
Kinked demand curve is what I seriouslyyy need to work on right now :tongue:
I'm really nervous about the exam because I have C3 on the same day :/
Reply 4
Yeah Same! I'm going to revise all of the graphs for unit 3 today - I reckon that if you're able to draw all of them well, and if you have a good grasp of the basics, that you could probably get a 100% in the supported answer section!

I'm feeling ok with C3, but i just know that there's going to be a trig question that i'm gonna mess up on :frown:
Reply 5
Thought I'd create a thread to share tips and ask questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I hate unit 3..does anyone know how much knockouts are allowed to be given in mcq's? Can i give a knockout for every single mcq they ask?
Reply 7
Can someone discuss what is likely to appear on the data responses, i.e. the larger topics, and how you would go about evaluating for them?
Reply 8
Original post by Scotty93
Can someone discuss what is likely to appear on the data responses, i.e. the larger topics, and how you would go about evaluating for them?

My teacher recently went to like an exam seminar and she spoke to the lady that was setting the exams. Apparently she really likes questions that include game theory.. So I am assuming that could come up as it usually comes up quite a lot!
Reply 9
Original post by Sarah456
I hate unit 3..does anyone know how much knockouts are allowed to be given in mcq's? Can i give a knockout for every single mcq they ask?

You can get up to 2 knockout marks per question.

'Incorrect options can be knocked out, but the letter of the knocked out key must be given, along with relevant economic reasoning. If more than one key is knocked out for the same reason this will earn one mark. There must be different reasons for each knock out. Up to two knock out marks can be awarded for each supported choice question.'
Reply 10
Original post by iMe
You can get up to 2 knockout marks per question.

'Incorrect options can be knocked out, but the letter of the knocked out key must be given, along with relevant economic reasoning. If more than one key is knocked out for the same reason this will earn one mark. There must be different reasons for each knock out. Up to two knock out marks can be awarded for each supported choice question.'

Thank you very much. I appreciate it alot :smile:
Reply 11
So has any one got any predictions for this exam?
Reply 12
So has any one got any predictions about what might come up? I've been told from my tuition teacher who marks these papers that the chances of game theory coming up is quite high too!
Reply 13
Can someone please define diminishing returns in the simplest way possible, thanks
Reply 14
Also, what do we need to know about the kinked demand curve, and if it was to appear as part of a data response how would you go about evaluating it
Reply 15
Original post by Scotty93
Also, what do we need to know about the kinked demand curve, and if it was to appear as part of a data response how would you go about evaluating it

Its a non collusive oligopoly model. The main three things to know is that price above the kink is elastic to demand meaning if a firm was to increase price it would lose revenue and other firms would not follow. Below the kink it is inelastic and so a fall in price will lead to a fall in revenue and would create a price war, which would be to the detriment of all firms in the market. Also, there is a range between which marginal cost can vary with no change in profit maximising level of output due to a vertical region of MR. This keeps price sticky.

There are many evaluation points for this model and useful critique. These include: how did price get to the kink in the first place. Price may not be any more rigid than other markets, it may be due to adminstrative costs of changing prices. Also, empirical research (Wagner 1981) shows that prices in an oligopoly are not sticky.

Hope this helps. Good luck people! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Yash13
Its a non collusive oligopoly model. The main three things to know is that price above the kink is elastic to demand meaning if a firm was to increase price it would lose revenue and other firms would not follow. Below the kink it is inelastic and so a fall in price will lead to a fall in revenue and would create a price war, which would be to the detriment of all firms in the market. Also, there is a range between which marginal cost can vary with no change in profit maximising level of output due to a vertical region of MR. This keeps price sticky.

There are many evaluation points for this model and useful critique. These include: how did price get to the kink in the first place. Price may not be any more rigid than other markets, it may be due to adminstrative costs of changing prices. Also, empirical research (Wagner 1981) shows that prices in an oligopoly are not sticky.

Hope this helps. Good luck people! :biggrin:

Thanks for the explanation, it really helped. Understand the kinked demand curve theory now. Do you know what topics are interlinked with game theory? So far I have kinked demand curve and collusion
Reply 17
i hate this exam toooo. i got barely a C last summer so have to resit, however have been preoccupied with maths :frown: i dont even know how to revise for the unit. horrrrrible. :frown:
Reply 18
has anyone got any revision notes/ diagram checklist
THAT WOULD BE SOO HELPFULL
also game theory...can ssomeone explain it please :smile:
Reply 19
Usually the same things come up in section B
Contestability
Competing
Comp Commision
Economic Efficiency

Latest

Trending