The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Overmars
:curious:

Obviously people's opinions are going to change on the basis of what happens. A year ago, many Arsenal fans were saying Koscielny was a rubbish signing. Now the same are saying he's fantastic. Last season he made a lot of errors. This season he hasn't. Hence the change in opinions. At the time of the signings, Downing and Carroll were very good for their previous clubs.

I'm probably in the minority but I still don't think Carroll was a bad signing at the time (even for the £35m), but there you go. I think to get the best out of him, it requires the very brave (or blind faith) move to start him week-in, week-out with Suarez 'in the hole'.

I meant that people will say now that "Downing has always been crap" and "always a rubbish buy" when they said differing views at the time, which is the hypocrisy i speak of! Hindsight is a different thing completely and wouldn't we all love it. Ultimately Downing can't always have been crap, not that i know much of what he used to be like, as he was voted player of the season by Villa fans. Carroll was playing superbly for Newcastle too. They are good players but just haven't blossomed at LFC. You're right too, Carroll needs to be starting every week like how you said if you ever want to see the best of him. Surely for Liverpool the rest of the season is testing ground. Nothing to gain or lose, well apart from losing 6th or 7th, but they have Europa League anyway now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3981
I knew that Adam was a crap signing - a lot of Liverpool fans wanted him, now they want him to be sold. And now they want players that are brilliant in a game.

But lets hope that lessons are learnt - its not looking that way though.
Just realised that the FA cup semi finals are played at Wembley. So if we can beat Stoke at the weekend, we've got another trip. Maybe I'll be able to get tickets this time :colondollar:
Reply 3983
Original post by Pn94
You feel that strongly about him?

I think he'd leave them if offered the job. He's a good manager imo - motivates his players, gets the best out of them but he plays **** football & is untested at a club with such high expectations (SPL is **** although he still built a decent Celtic team).

I suppose we could do better, could do worse.

I absolutely despise O'Neil, his attitude, persona, style of play, fetish for British players on high wages and his friends in the media. It is all a complete joke and the myth of O'Neil will be shattered soon enough, just as he jumped ship at Villa when it was about to then. He absolutely spunks money on absolutely mediocre players.

He is to me, an upper mid table to Hodgsons lower mid table manager.
Reply 3984
Original post by mr tim
I knew that Adam was a crap signing - a lot of Liverpool fans wanted him, now they want him to be sold. And now they want players that are brilliant in a game.

But lets hope that lessons are learnt - its not looking that way though.

Tbh I can't remember this thread exactly but I seem to remember everyone saying that the majority of the players we bought were not very good players but that we had to give them a chance. Of course I haven't gone back through the posts but thats what I seem to remember :beard:
Reply 3985
YNWA
Original post by Mess.
I absolutely despise O'Neil, his attitude, persona, style of play, fetish for British players on high wages and his friends in the media. It is all a complete joke and the myth of O'Neil will be shattered soon enough, just as he jumped ship at Villa when it was about to then. He absolutely spunks money on absolutely mediocre players.

100% agree with you. We'll make "MON OUT" banners together if he's appointed :love:
Poyet has said Suarez might be off in the summer. Disgusting if he's forced out.

Can't wait for the match tonight, even though not got much confidence...
Original post by Pn94
You feel that strongly about him?

I think he'd leave them if offered the job. He's a good manager imo - motivates his players, gets the best out of them but he plays **** football & is untested at a club with such high expectations (SPL is **** although he still built a decent Celtic team).

I suppose we could do better, could do worse.

I think his style of football would be a risk, but I think he is judged unfairly on that level. I've watched Sunderland a few times this season and although they have generic English 'engines' like Gardner and Cattermole in midfield, they do have players like MacLean (who he introduced) and Sessegnon who are good to watch. You'll never be short of entertainment if you have players like that on the pitch. I've never understood why modern football fans are so hung up on their teams playing 'good' football/'the right way'. It's not like MON would take over and say to Suarez "HEY! No dribbling or slaloming past defenders!"

Football is a result's business and after SAF no British manager, that I can think of, has had better results than MON for the last decade or so. Why he hasn't had a chance at a bigger club is baffling, Sunderland is above his level. He has his weaknesses but his managerial CV is very impressive whichever way you look at it.
Original post by Mastermind`
I think his style of football would be a risk, but I think he is judged unfairly on that level. I've watched Sunderland a few times this season and although they have generic English 'engines' like Gardner and Cattermole in midfield, they do have players like MacLean (who he introduced) and Sessegnon who are good to watch. You'll never be short of entertainment if you have players like that on the pitch. I've never understood why modern football fans are so hung up on their teams playing 'good' football/'the right way'. It's not like MON would take over and say to Suarez "HEY! No dribbling or slaloming past defenders!"

Football is a result's business and after SAF no British manager, that I can think of, has had better results than MON for the last decade or so. Why he hasn't had a chance at a bigger club is baffling, Sunderland is above his level. He has his weaknesses but his managerial CV is very impressive whichever way you look at it.

His tactics are always one dimensional, looking to set his team up on the counter attack. He'll again spend plenty of money at Sunderland, probably get them to peak by finishing 6th/7th next season or the one after but he's never going to be able to lift the limitations thereafter to push any further.
Original post by Zerforax
His tactics are always one dimensional, looking to set his team up on the counter attack. He'll again spend plenty of money at Sunderland, probably get them to peak by finishing 6th/7th next season or the one after but he's never going to be able to lift the limitations thereafter to push any further.

Sunderland are going to be limited anyway, due to FFP - so they can't spend massively to get into the EL. And he has generally spent ok, with nothing to suggest that he'd have spent the money KD has but in a worse way - heck, he brought Young and Downing to Villa, who have profited to the tune of £16m from both. He got the best out of Warnock, Dunne et al. And that is what Liverpool need right now, someone to get the best from what is available, because Kenny certainly isn't doing it - but I expect KD will get more time due to previous achievements.
Reply 3991
if we lose tonight, what happens next?
Reply 3992
Not much I imagine. The only way Dalglish will leave is he wants to, the owners can never sack him or 'mutually terminate' him because an awful lot of the support cannot look at it objectively.

Aren't most teams out of the top 6ish predominantly counter-attacking teams (or at least like to sit back), though? I wouldn't say it's one-dimensional, it's just sensible, and if the tactics work (like they have anywhere he has been), what's the problem? I don't blame him or managers like Redknapp for spending a lot of money. Well, as long as there are results - which they were at Villa, they were very close to entering the top 4 under his guidance. You don't get anywhere in football by spending little money, you end up loitering in the same positions like Moyes and Wenger. Ultimately MON threw out his prams out for not getting more money and his timing was absolutely terrible, but Villa did need an injection of money to push on and if there wasn't then he couldn't have taken them any further.
Original post by Mess.

That eerily reminds me of someone :redface:
Reply 3995
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
That eerily reminds me of someone :redface:

:awesome: I was noticing it more and more as I was writing it :mmm:
Original post by Kevmeister
Sunderland are going to be limited anyway, due to FFP - so they can't spend massively to get into the EL. And he has generally spent ok, with nothing to suggest that he'd have spent the money KD has but in a worse way - heck, he brought Young and Downing to Villa, who have profited to the tune of £16m from both. He got the best out of Warnock, Dunne et al. And that is what Liverpool need right now, someone to get the best from what is available, because Kenny certainly isn't doing it - but I expect KD will get more time due to previous achievements.

There may be some stronger limitations but considering the size of Sunderland's spend, having a 45mil loss which is covered to start with, is still a massive amount. Might not look like a lot for Chelsea/City but will be for Sunderland.
Disagree with the transfer comment, he's been very mixed bag, had some great players like your examples but he bought in a lot of players for the 5-12mil bracket, usually on high wages and the club are still feeling the after effects of MON.

Original post by Mess.
Not much I imagine. The only way Dalglish will leave is he wants to, the owners can never sack him or 'mutually terminate' him because an awful lot of the support cannot look at it objectively.

Probably right with this. Would Kenny dig in his heels if the owners had a quiet word? Not so sure, I'd like to think he still has the club's best interests at heart.

Original post by Mastermind`
Aren't most teams out of the top 6ish predominantly counter-attacking teams (or at least like to sit back), though? I wouldn't say it's one-dimensional, it's just sensible, and if the tactics work (like they have anywhere he has been), what's the problem? I don't blame him or managers like Redknapp for spending a lot of money. Well, as long as there are results - which they were at Villa, they were very close to entering the top 4 under his guidance. You don't get anywhere in football by spending little money, you end up loitering in the same positions like Moyes and Wenger. Ultimately MON threw out his prams out for not getting more money and his timing was absolutely terrible, but Villa did need an injection of money to push on and if there wasn't then he couldn't have taken them any further.

Well I can understand counter attacking against teams you're less likely to beat but he set up that way against every team meaning he got some good results against bigger teams but Villa fell flat against a lot of smaller teams. I've seen no indications that MON would be able to set up a team like Liverpool to beat teams and instead he'd focus on being solid and trying to nick a goal. Sounds fine but too many teams come to Anfield with that tactic so you're not afforded much space to counter.
I think MON would sign even more average players than Kenny did. Did he sign any exciting young players at Villa?
There may be some stronger limitations but considering the size of Sunderland's spend, having a 45mil loss which is covered to start with, is still a massive amount. Might not look like a lot for Chelsea/City but will be for Sunderland.
Disagree with the transfer comment, he's been very mixed bag, had some great players like your examples but he bought in a lot of players for the 5-12mil bracket, usually on high wages and the club are still feeling the after effects of MON.

He's yet to spend a penny at Sunderland, and all signs are that he'll have to work with and tweak the squad he has at the moment.

And I disagree entirely with blaming a manager for high wages - a chairman should have the balls to say no, the simple fact is that Lerner wanted the same as O'Neill and bought into the vision, but only to a point, which is when they parted ways.

Probably right with this. Would Kenny dig in his heels if the owners had a quiet word? Not so sure, I'd like to think he still has the club's best interests at heart.

You mean like when he's continually dragged Suarezgate back into the news? The t-shirts?

I think MON would sign even more average players than Kenny did. Did he sign any exciting young players at Villa?

Depends on your definition of young, but he brought in A. Young, Downing, promoted youth from within like Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Clark.
Reply 3998
Original post by Mess.

Much like Dalglish's managerial capabilities then? :holmes:
Reply 3999
And regarding MON, he managed a great team at Celtic that certainly wasn't just based on counter attacking, he had to go out to beat the (albeit limited) opposition. Played great football and we were a big powerful team. Beating the likes of Liverpool.

I think he'd do a good job at the bigger clubs. Sure he probably does need to expand on scouting systems etc, but whatever he does, it works and is effective.

He'd be better than Dalglish anyway.

Latest