The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CB91
True, Benitez had virtually no money to work with. He had to sell to buy in his last 2 seasons. When he was actually backed in 07-08 he signed Torres, Babel, Lucas, Mascherano and Skrtel.

IMO Benitez was the best manager you had since Bob Paisley and had he been given more funds Liverpool may well have been battling for honours on all fronts.
Original post by DrFantastic
Yeah, they were all great signings. I just hope that we win the next two games, the FA cup would be a wonderful consolation for not getting champions leauge :frown:

As much as I want you guys to falter on Wednesday night, I do hope you go far in the FA Cup and in the process thump Manchester United on our behalf. It could well have been another Liverpool v City fixture but I think we've all had our fix of Liverpool v City games to last us until next year.

I don't think Champions League football is beyond you. I wouldn't rule out the prospect of Spurs nose-diving into a mini slump of sorts but you do face some stiff competition with Chelsea, Arsenal and perhaps Newcastle.

And given that Arsenal and Chelsea's top 4 position is under threat they may well put all their eggs in one basket with the Champions League and if they were to win the thing and finish outside the top 4, they would qualify automatically ahead of whoever finishes 4th. So Liverpool would need to string together a good run of form and hope that Arsenal and Chelsea either finish in the top 3 (unlikely) or not win the Champions League (again unlikely but never impossible).
Original post by rupertj
No doubt.

People concentrate on his errors - e.g. Alonso for Gareth Barry, and so on, but when you consider the pressure he was under to perform under such a dodgy board (Hicks/Gillett), it's quite understandable that he made a couple of outstanding errors. For the most part, he was overachieving. Especially in the first half of his tenure, in which his transfer policy brought some wonderful players in, like that world class midfield. We neglect that even some of his less glorified transfers, like Agger/Skrtel, have ended up being excellent players for us.

As a tactician, he was obviously one of the best around, and at the club's height in 2008, he succeeded in playing pretty attractive football too.

Alonso for Barry a mistake? The summer Rafa tried that, no one wanted to buy Alonso for circa £15mil. Alonso then had a great season and hasn't looked back but Barry is a starting regular for Man City, the club with the most money in the world - he can't exactly be that bad then can he?

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
As much as I want you guys to falter on Wednesday night, I do hope you go far in the FA Cup and in the process thump Manchester United on our behalf. It could well have been another Liverpool v City fixture but I think we've all had our fix of Liverpool v City games to last us until next year.

I don't think Champions League football is beyond you. I wouldn't rule out the prospect of Spurs nose-diving into a mini slump of sorts but you do face some stiff competition with Chelsea, Arsenal and perhaps Newcastle.

And given that Arsenal and Chelsea's top 4 position is under threat they may well put all their eggs in one basket with the Champions League and if they were to win the thing and finish outside the top 4, they would qualify automatically ahead of whoever finishes 4th. So Liverpool would need to string together a good run of form and hope that Arsenal and Chelsea either finish in the top 3 (unlikely) or not win the Champions League (again unlikely but never impossible).

Chelsea/Arsenal are not going to win the CL.. their defences are way too leaky so they won't even be able to luck through imo.

Spurs are going to get hammered soon.. they have Wigan next, but after that their fixtures are brutal.
Liverpool (A)
Newcastle (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man Utd (H)
Everton (A)
Stoke (H)
Chelsea (A)

After that, their fixtures are relatively easy so they should finish strong but the coming period could destroy all their confidence and put a lot of pressure on them.
Reply 583
****ing shameful on saturday.

Too many players with their eye on City, but honourable mention to Adamfor stinking the place out.

Be very useful for wednesday if Lescott and Balotelli were banned..
Reply 584
Original post by Zerforax
Alonso for Barry a mistake? The summer Rafa tried that, no one wanted to buy Alonso for circa £15mil. Alonso then had a great season and hasn't looked back but Barry is a starting regular for Man City, the club with the most money in the world - he can't exactly be that bad then can he?

I never meant to suggest otherwise, but neither at the time nor in retrospect have I thought that it would have been a good idea. Benitez ultimately failed anyway, and only ended up disenchanting a key player of the side in the process. Babel was another mistake of Benitez's etc. etc. - I was only using Barry vs. Alonso as an example to illustrate a separate point.
Reply 585
Original post by rupertj

Original post by rupertj
I never meant to suggest otherwise, but neither at the time nor in retrospect have I thought that it would have been a good idea. Benitez ultimately failed anyway, and only ended up disenchanting a key player of the side in the process. Babel was another mistake of Benitez's etc. etc. - I was only using Barry vs. Alonso as an example to illustrate a separate point.

Babel looked like he could have been a great player at Ajax but he just never had the mental attributes to become the player he could have been.
Reply 586
Original post by Mess.
Babel looked like he could have been a great player at Ajax but he just never had the mental attributes to become the player he could have been.

Okay, another questionable example...

The point I'm making is that Benitez's mistakes are overplayed massively. I agree with the guy who said that he's Liverpool's best manager since Paisley - or, at least, I think that that is the order of magnitude that we should be discussing him within.
Original post by L18
****ing shameful on saturday.

Too many players with their eye on City, but honourable mention to Adamfor stinking the place out.

Be very useful for wednesday if Lescott and Balotelli were banned..

Wishful thinking for Lescott and Balotelli my friend but I fear Balotelli may have bitten off....stamped off (lol) more than he can chew and may well find himself a disgruntled spectator for the next few weeks if the FA decide to go all Lance Corporal on him.

Eyes on City......maybe but I doubt very much Liverpool would have neglected the Bolton game as in the grand scheme of things they are still chasing a top 4 finish and as I said before given Chelsea and Arsenal's frighteningly inconsistent form this season, the race for 4th spot is very much wide open.

I doubt City will be taking the tie any less seriously. For a team who have only managed to win one trophy in 36 years, another cup final would be snapped up faster than you can say Blue Moon Rising. City want to build a dynasty in a very short amount of time ok realistically that can't happen but winning lots of cups will help to achieve that and I for one am desperate to go to a cup final at Wembley having agonisingly missed out on the FA Cup final due to bloody exams.
Reply 588
Wishful thinking for Lescott and Balotelli my friend but I fear Balotelli may have bitten off....stamped off (lol) more than he can chew and may well find himself a disgruntled spectator for the next few weeks if the FA decide to go all Lance Corporal on him.

The Balotelli stamp is clear cut.

Thats a 3 game ban. He hasn't got any defence. The way his rigght leg straightens, and then the wya he throws himself down is not natural.

I haven't seen the Lescott one. Just saw Neville mention it on twitter.

Eyes on City......maybe but I doubt very much Liverpool would have neglected the Bolton game as in the grand scheme of things they are still chasing a top 4 finish and as I said before given Chelsea and Arsenal's frighteningly inconsistent form this season, the race for 4th spot is very much wide open.

They weren't neglecting Bolton, but they didnt give 100%/
Saw the Kenny interview. He was pretty much scathing which is good to see. Don't need to pander to the press or the players, just say it how it is.

Chelsea/Arsenal are not going to win the CL.. their defences are way too leaky so they won't even be able to luck through imo.

Spurs are going to get hammered soon.. they have Wigan next, but after that their fixtures are brutal.
Liverpool (A)
Newcastle (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man Utd (H)
Everton (A)
Stoke (H)
Chelsea (A)

After that, their fixtures are relatively easy so they should finish strong but the coming period could destroy all their confidence and put a lot of pressure on them.

I agree with you on Arsenal and Chelsea's defence but I'd be more concerned about their attacking flair/prowess or lack of.

Spurs don't have the resources to last the distance nor the quality of individuals and they could potentially lose at least 4 or 5 of those games. I don't see them getting anything at Anfield or the Emirates or Stamford Bridge. A point against United would be a miracle. Newcastle are fighting for a top 4 finish and Everton and Stoke aren't exactly pushovers. Oh yeah and they got Wigan too who in all fairness did push Man City which you would expect of a team languishing at the wrong end of the table and fighting for their lives. So if Spurs fancy their chances of the title or even a top 3 or 4 finish then this is pretty much their acid-test.
I agree with you on Arsenal and Chelsea's defence but I'd be more concerned about their attacking flair/prowess or lack of.

Spurs don't have the resources to last the distance nor the quality of individuals and they could potentially lose at least 4 or 5 of those games. I don't see them getting anything at Anfield or the Emirates or Stamford Bridge. A point against United would be a miracle. Newcastle are fighting for a top 4 finish and Everton and Stoke aren't exactly pushovers. Oh yeah and they got Wigan too who in all fairness did push Man City which you would expect of a team languishing at the wrong end of the table and fighting for their lives. So if Spurs fancy their chances of the title or even a top 3 or 4 finish then this is pretty much their acid-test.

I still fancy one English team to get the rub of the green and do well (semi finals) but we'll see what happens.

Mmm think you're underestimating Spurs. Their players are on form, avoided injuries generally and have a strong 18 player squad. Lot of pace in the side and passing quality and having Adebayor has helped them a lot imo. Think they will do okay in the period, with a win or two against big teams but also draws/losses. Just a question of whether Chelsea can catch them up.
Very surprised that the City game went to general sale and the Utd game is now going to members with one PL game.

Could we even fill a massive stadium on a regular basis? :s-smilie:
Reply 593

Very surprised that the City game went to general sale and the Utd game is now going to members with one PL game.

Exactly the problem that people are forgetting I think. We have loads of supporters but most of them would never be able to get to Anfield on a regular basis due to price, distance or unwillingness.
I still fancy one English team to get the rub of the green and do well (semi finals) but we'll see what happens.

Mmm think you're underestimating Spurs. Their players are on form, avoided injuries generally and have a strong 18 player squad. Lot of pace in the side and passing quality and having Adebayor has helped them a lot imo. Think they will do okay in the period, with a win or two against big teams but also draws/losses. Just a question of whether Chelsea can catch them up.

Perhaps I am underestimating Spurs but I can only go off what I've seen in recent memory and I'm not sure they have the prowess or mindset to last the distance. Also their disrespect of the Europa League (even if it is essentially a Mickey Mouse cup) left little to be desired for. At the end of the day any team striving for success should treat all tournaments as a great opportunity for silverware and last time I checked Spurs weren't exactly European Footballing Powerhouses to be in a position to degrade the Europa League.

As for English teams in the Champions League well this isn't the best Arsenal or Chelsea squads of recent times so I don't fancy their chances.

When Liverpool won in 2005 they at least had some quality players; Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso, Hyppia, Henchoz, Baros, Smicer and of course Mr Dudek who gave vintage performances in that season. There's nobody with that flair in either the Arsenal or Chelsea squads at this time and the likes of Drogba, Lampard and Terry have seen their stars wane. Arsenal rely far too much on Van Persie and Walcott still isn't "the real deal" in my eyes.
Perhaps I am underestimating Spurs but I can only go off what I've seen in recent memory and I'm not sure they have the prowess or mindset to last the distance. Also their disrespect of the Europa League (even if it is essentially a Mickey Mouse cup) left little to be desired for. At the end of the day any team striving for success should treat all tournaments as a great opportunity for silverware and last time I checked Spurs weren't exactly European Footballing Powerhouses to be in a position to degrade the Europa League.

As for English teams in the Champions League well this isn't the best Arsenal or Chelsea squads of recent times so I don't fancy their chances.

When Liverpool won in 2005 they at least had some quality players; Gerrard, Carragher, Alonso, Hyppia, Henchoz, Baros, Smicer and of course Mr Dudek who gave vintage performances in that season. There's nobody with that flair in either the Arsenal or Chelsea squads at this time and the likes of Drogba, Lampard and Terry have seen their stars wane. Arsenal rely far too much on Van Persie and Walcott still isn't "the real deal" in my eyes.

What's the point in looking at the team from a few years ago when they're playing now and doing it well? Good ol' 'arry, is a great motivator, even if a crook.

Who cares what their position over the Europa League is? the Champions League is where the money is at. They would've gotten maybe an extra 5mil from staying in the EL but looking at more like 30mil+ if they have another CL run. And it will be significantly easier to hold onto players like Modric if they are in the CL.

Tbfh, our 2005 team was poor and there's a reason why there were only a few survivors from that campaign.

Should probably take off those Liverbird specs because frankly we've been below par in terms of trying to match the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea and at the moment, we look like we're floundering the most.
Reply 596

It's down to the price at the end of the day.

Most will have bought the Carling Cup semi ticket prior to the fa cup draw, and not many people can justify two 45 quid tickets within a week of each other the month after crimbo.

Also, we aren't winning anything at the momment. We won't be filling any 60k stadium unless we are successful and tickets are cheap.
Original post by L18
It's down to the price at the end of the day.

Most will have bought the Carling Cup semi ticket prior to the fa cup draw, and not many people can justify two 45 quid tickets within a week of each other the month after crimbo.

Also, we aren't winning anything at the momment. We won't be filling any 60k stadium unless we are successful and tickets are cheap.

Mmm very true. Just interesting how cheap we'd have to go to fill a substantially bigger stadium.

If anyone wants to get 2 tickets to Utd and sell to me let me know :colondollar:
1136 GET INVOLVED: Opta Sports on Twitter: "160 - The number of times the woodwork has been struck in the Premier League, most by Liverpool (19), fewest by Arsenal (3)."

Nice to see we make up almost 12% of that statistic :facepalm:
Lucas is back at Melwood to continue his rehab...I say we throw him straight into the team instead of playing Charlie Adam. He can't do any worse!

Latest