The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8000
Suarez scoring a hattrick makes Chelsea nervous? :facepalm2: Look at the fixtures they've had recently, and the results. They will be nervous as any team is going into a final, but not because of individual player's performances. Who worries about Suarez after facing Messi in two games? :dontknow:

I have no idea who will win, but I don't think Chelsea will fear Liverpool after recent games and the work RDM has done, no matter what happened against Fulham.
Wait, Chelsea will be nervous? Surely it's the opposite way round? This FA cup final will define whether this has been a good season for Liverpool or not. Chelsea on the other hand are likely to finish in the top 4 and could potentially win the CL as well as the FA cup. Not to mention that they thrashed Tottenham, drew with Arsenal away and beat Barcelona over two legs.
Original post by Dorito
you're the reason us Liverpool fans got such a hard time and are constantly called 'deluded'. You completely dismiss all criticism of the football club, when a lot of it is justified and backed up with facts and evidence! :s-smilie:

How am I dismissing criticism.... I'm just saying the idea that players going out and not trying to win is stupid. Not to mention todays performance doesn't mean much considering the players who were playing.
At least read the conversation properly. I was the one criticizing us at the start of the year and got a similar response. Funny that you lot can't make up your mind. Not to mention your knee jerk opinions are just retarded.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mhsc
Suarez scoring a hattrick makes Chelsea nervous? :facepalm2: Look at the fixtures they've had recently, and the results. They will be nervous as any team is going into a final, but not because of individual player's performances. Who worries about Suarez after facing Messi in two games? :dontknow:

I have no idea who will win, but I don't think Chelsea will fear Liverpool after recent games and the work RDM has done, no matter what happened against Fulham.

You'll win. After tonight I can't see any other result, 9 changes or not.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Wait, Chelsea will be nervous? Surely it's the opposite way round?

Original post by mhsc
Suarez scoring a hattrick makes Chelsea nervous?

Also what I mean is Chelsea won't be nervous about us beating Fulham had we done today. It would literally make no difference, Suarez scoring a hatrick in the manner he did the other day will at least give them something to think about, of course they are going to worry about shutting him down, at least more than had we won today would have made them worry. To think that today's performance meant anything is pretty stupid, were really going to try our best if we rest our best and play players who haven't even seen much action.
Regardless of where Chelsea are it's still a decently big cup final so there will be some nerves from both ends.
(edited 11 years ago)
To be fair, when you play a bunch of players who rarely play together you're bound to get a poor performance like that (just really incoherent, passes going astray), especially if you consider that some were making returns from injuries and some are squad players or off-form.
Wait, Chelsea will be nervous? Surely it's the opposite way round? This FA cup final will define whether this has been a good season for Liverpool or not. Chelsea on the other hand are likely to finish in the top 4 and could potentially win the CL as well as the FA cup. Not to mention that they thrashed Tottenham, drew with Arsenal away and beat Barcelona over two legs.

I don't want to say much about our chances, we are expected to steamroller them seeing as we have the better team and have lost 1 match in the past 14 games including beating barca, but liverpool are still a good team, beaten us twice already this season(albeit with a different manager) and that could be a psychological advantage.

I'm not scared of liverpool, but they shouldn't be underestimated. We really should see how we fare against newcastle, in the case that we beat them with ease(I don't see newcastle beating us in all honesty) then we could make this judgement on how saturday would be.
Reply 8007
Original post by ChrisWilliams
You'll win. After tonight I can't see any other result, 9 changes or not.

I wouldn't be so sure. I think it will be a tight game, if our form continues we'll knick it, but we'll see.
Original post by jam277
I don't want to say much about our chances, we are expected to steamroller them seeing as we have the better team and have lost 1 match in the past 14 games including beating barca, but liverpool are still a good team, beaten us twice already this season(albeit with a different manager) and that could be a psychological advantage.

I'm not scared of liverpool, but they shouldn't be underestimated. We really should see how we fare against newcastle, in the case that we beat them with ease(I don't see newcastle beating us in all honesty) then we could make this judgement on how saturday would be.

We are underdogs since you guys have momentum and form on your side, but we tend to be much better in non prem games and luck seems more on our side at least compared to our luck in the prem. So I think we still have an equal chance and it will be really close, probably will go to extra time or someone will nick it by 1 goal.
Reply 8009
Tonight was absolutely dire. Barely anyone looked impressive at all in that starting line up.

Was nice to see Sterling but it wasnt the set up that he should have been playing in.
Original post by So Instinct
We are underdogs since you guys have momentum and form on your side, but we tend to be much better in non prem games and luck seems more on our side at least compared to our luck in the prem. So I think we still have an equal chance and it will be really close, probably will go to extra time or someone will nick it by 1 goal.

I reckon it'll be a typical cup final, nice and dead, 1-0 or 2-1 win and cagey football for 90 mins.
I think it's 100x better that Chelsea are considered favourites.

Di Matteo faces a bit of a conundrum though, Torres or Drogba?

I don't want either tbh but Torres mostly because of the history. It's practically written in the stars for him to score if he ends up starting. But I think Drogba will be picked, more consistent man for the big occasion.
Original post by lifeshard
I think it's 100x better that Chelsea are considered favourites.

Di Matteo faces a bit of a conundrum though, Torres or Drogba?

I don't want either tbh but Torres mostly because of the history. It's practically written in the stars for him to score if he ends up starting. But I think Drogba will be picked, more consistent man for the big occasion.

I think it would be easier to contain Torres. As long as we play Agger and Skrtel and not Caragher.
Drogba is formidable when he want's to be and he can actually play well as a lone man upfront were as Torres would need some more support.

Not exactly a massive problem having 2 sort of on form strikers though is it =P
Probably agree is will be Drogba and Torres will probs come on around 75.
(edited 11 years ago)

Chelsea are in a similar situation to us. A few games this month decide whether their season has been good or not. Lose to Newcastle and top4 isn't likely. Lose to us and that's the most realistic chance for silverware gone. Thus everything sits on the Champions League final. If they can pull it off well that's a better season than anyone.

Chelsea either, win the CL, the FA cup and get CL football for next season or they finish with no silverware and no CL football (or somewhere inbetween winning the FA cup but don't achieve secure CL). Whether their season was a success or not hangs on the balance of whatever happens in 3 or 4 games in May.

But they definitely will not fear us. They who have just knocked out Barcelona from the Champions League and us who couldn't buy a goal at home. We all know which one has the momentum going into this but we have been better in the cup games. All of this was said before the Everton game and we came out the better in that too.

I pray to God that we win on Saturday or this season will have been worse than I could have imagined tbh. Even with the Carling Cup.
I think it would be easier to contain Torres. As long as we play Agger and Skrtel and not Caragher.
Drogba is formidable when he want's to be and he can actually play well as a lone man upfront were as Torres would need some more support.

Not exactly a massive problem having 2 sort of on form strikers though is it =P
Probably agree is will be Drogba and Torres will probs come on around 75.

Yeah Torres would be easier to contain because fact is right now Drogba is still the superior striker but all the history with Torres, you just know we'll be hearing another commentator orgasm over Torres writing the perfect ending.

I want Suarez and Gerrard on their best form and Agger and Skrtel too. God willing Dalglish does not decide to play Carragher and compromise our defence. Hopefully the fact that Chelsea are flying high will suit us, giving us more space to play in.

Will fate allow us to beat Chelsea three times in one season? GOD I HOPE SO.

And make it four next week as well :cool:

All the luck we've been missing this season has to come around at SOME point right?
Original post by Qaz25
Get used to it... this is not going to change next season I think...

Oh but at least we have the Carling Cup :ahee:

Don't know how we'll do against Chelsea. What you guys think of Kenny's future if we don't win the FA Cup? Considering a lot of the hope for the success of this season is based on the FA cup? (Don't really classify the Carling Cup as a valuable cup)

An FA Cup win on top of the CC would be, whilst not progress in the areas we wanted, enough for me to let Kenny stay for next season. We did need to get some trophies in the cupboard again, and we've managed to do that (hopefully twice) - that's still progress. But next season the priority HAS to be league form.

I think for me, it will come down to the FA Cup final - whether Kenny stays or not could hinge on that result. Win, and as I said I believe he deserves to stay for another season provided FSG insist that the league is the priority now we've won a few trophies.
Lose however, and whilst I can't see FSG sacking him (despite them becoming deeply involved over the last few weeks) due to his idol status at LFC, I believe they could have a private word with him and ask him to step aside back in to an Ambassadorial role and I think this is something he would accept. He may not have had the best league run be at the end of the day he wants the best for the club and if they owners ask him to step down and he believes it would be for the benefit of the club then I'm sure that will be what he does.

I like Kenny. He's a top bloke - I wasn't alive in his glory days in the 80s so I am in no real position to comment on his idol status, only on from what I've seen of him in his time as our current manager. He's made some mistakes yeah (e.g. Suarez-evra, targeting players who haven't come good, irrespective of fee paid) but he really does just want what's best for the club - it's in his heart, LFC. I love the way he plays the media, putting them in their place. Maybe he should tone down the aggression sometimes but srsly, they aren't half asking for it sometimes.

I'd love him to have one more season, with a real focus on league form. But I will understand if we lose the FAC and he's asked to step aside at end of the season, and I'm sure he will too....

Just a waiting game now, and hope Saturday comes good!

YNWA :lfc:
Original post by lifeshard
Yeah Torres would be easier to contain because fact is right now Drogba is still the superior striker but all the history with Torres, you just know we'll be hearing another commentator orgasm over Torres writing the perfect ending.

I want Suarez and Gerrard on their best form and Agger and Skrtel too. God willing Dalglish does not decide to play Carragher and compromise our defence. Hopefully the fact that Chelsea are flying high will suit us, giving us more space to play in.

Will fate allow us to beat Chelsea three times in one season? GOD I HOPE SO.

And make it four next week as well :cool:

All the luck we've been missing this season has to come around at SOME point right?

You would hope Suarez will make Terry's life hell. If he has one of those games like nutmegging everyone then you would think even with Chelsea's pretty solid defense of late he will torment them. His partnership with Gerrard might drag us through.
Also what I mean is Chelsea won't be nervous about us beating Fulham had we done today. It would literally make no difference, Suarez scoring a hatrick in the manner he did the other day will at least give them something to think about, of course they are going to worry about shutting him down, at least more than had we won today would have made them worry. To think that today's performance meant anything is pretty stupid, were really going to try our best if we rest our best and play players who haven't even seen much action.
Regardless of where Chelsea are it's still a decently big cup final so there will be some nerves from both ends.

I don't think either team will be scared of the other. Chelsea will feel unbeatable atm and we have shafted the league ever since the Arsenal game in anticipation of the FA Cup. I think the players will want it even more than us.

If they don't win this game they will be crushed. Instead of being part of a cup double winning team they'll be known as the team that finished 9th in the league.
how are we all tonight lads?

:cool:
Original post by orionmoo
I think for me, it will come down to the FA Cup final - whether Kenny stays or not could hinge on that result. Win, and as I said I believe he deserves to stay for another season provided FSG insist that the league is the priority now we've won a few trophies.:lfc:

I like the positivity. I really do. BUT how can we decide on our managers future based on ONE game? Surely the season as a whole needs to be taken into account, every mistake, every flaw, the fact that've managed the worst home record in what 50 years, the fact that we've only scored 20 goals at home, the fact that West Brom, Wigan and Fulham have all had their first wins at Anfield in god knows when? If you do that than there's not much to keep Kenny in a job other than we've played relatively well for the majority of the season until the wheels fell of vs Arsenal. Even then, how a manager can allow his team to lose motivation like that is questionable.

I just can't shake the feeling that we have known something was wrong ever since that week in xmas when we drew to Blackburn and Wigan in the same week (this is when the alarm bells starting ringing for me personally). It's happened over and over since then and it's never been fixed. I question this and Kenny's capabilities in the transfer market.

I don't know. I'm on the fence. Nonetheless, if Kenny goes. It will be sad. I don't think it hurts anyone more than Kenny seeing the team struggle like this.

Latest