The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9160
Original post by L18
The problem isn't buying English players, it's buying the 'best of the rest' which Man City tried and then hastily abandoned because it doesn't work.

Agreed. It's when they tried to do it and finished 5th behind Spurs. Essentially trying to achieve Champion's League football with non Champion's League players. It just doesn't work.
Original post by L18
The problem isn't buying English players, it's buying the 'best of the rest' which Man City tried and then hastily abandoned because it doesn't work.

Arsenal also tried that several years ago with Richard Wright and Francis Jeffers. It really didn't work.
Reply 9162
Agree as well,problem isn't buying english it's buying flavor of the month players.
Carroll in, as is Downing (lol).
Jordan Henderson on standby ahead of Michael Carrick is even more lol.
Reply 9165
Over the moon for Andy. Another big confidence boost should do him the world of good, also means he won't be going the Olympics!

Edit: But I assume Henderson will now.
Reply 9166
Hodgson has picked one right back: Glen Johnson, who he doesn't even like :lol:
Reply 9167
4 Liverpool players: Johnson, Gerrard, Carroll and Downing.

My God, the former two are deserving. Carroll... iffy. ****ing hell, Downing. This has got to be a joke.

And Henderson on standby instead of Carrick. :facepalm2:
Reply 9168
Squads a joke. Downing and Carrol couldn't have had the worst season for Liverpool, and yet are ahead of Sturridge/Crouch/Lennon/Adam Johnson.

Johnson has barely been involved for Liverpool for the majority of the season, yet hes going to walk into the team ahead of Micah Richards.
Why on earth is Donkey Downing in? *facepalm*

Much rather have Adam Johnson in ahead of him.

And Terry. Really? :/
Reply 9170
Why is Downing in the squad instead of Johnson and why are Micah Richards or Kyle Walker not being picked?
Reply 9171
Original post by orionmoo
Why on earth is Donkey Downing in? *facepalm*

Much rather have Adam Johnson in ahead of him.

And Terry. Really? :/

Same old really. Whatever manager comes in, he will never have the bottle to try out NEW players.
Reply 9172
Original post by *_*
Why is Downing in the squad instead of Johnson and why are Micah Richards or Kyle Walker not being picked?

Walker is injured, but **** knows why Richards hasn't been selected...

Wasn't the selection I was anticipating, especially Downing...
Reply 9173
Original post by Kaz310
Same old really. Whatever manager comes in, he will never have the bottle to try out NEW players.

AOC is in the team, he could have easily been left out. Adam Johnson also wouldnt be particularly new to the england set up
Reply 9174
Original post by *_*

Because the managers doesn't have the guts to drop the players that have always failed. It's so tiring. Can't imagine what Richards must be going through. What more does he have to show? Hes already the champion winning right back. Must be fuming. Walker is injured though.
Reply 9175
Terrible pick by Hodgson.

Gerrard will get injured possibly - he hasn't even featured in most of our games.
Carroll has been **** until recently, although he does need to learn to put in sitters
Downing has 0 goals and 0 assists in the league, and yet he's picked?
Johnson - why is he picked? Richards is much better.

With Rooney banned for 2 matches, I think Carroll may get start.
Reply 9176
What have English managers got against Richards? Capello and now Hodgson...
Reply 9177
Original post by Stirlo
AOC is in the team, he could have easily been left out. Adam Johnson also wouldnt be particularly new to the england set up

So why has Downing been picked? Has he not have had a million chances for England in the past? He hasn't done anything special, and his stats for Liverpool this season will not do him ANY wonders but rather get more facepalms from England fans. Lennon and even Adam Johnson have had a better season.

Same can be said with Johnson, Terry( I'm actually happy hes in though lol) but others aren't.
I guess Phil Jones can play RB if Glen gets injured..

I'm surprised there's been no talk of who Roy's captain will be - especially considering Parker is injured (so pretty much Hendo is called up)
Reply 9179
Adam Johnson deserves more caps than Downing for England. Can't see anyone on here disagreeing either.

Latest