The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Wodeford
Will it show up on your GCSE certificate? I've already done 25% of the course via coursework, but will I get a grade? I really don't want one for this subject!

If you have been entered for all the units (whether or not you turn up) and you have been cashed-in then you will get a grade. If you haven't, you won't.
Reply 2
Trying to get a U. apparently that doesn't show up.
Reply 3

If you get a U then you are meant to declare it if you apply to university and I'm never quite sure how much results info universities get access to through UCAS - they do get your A level grades - so not doing so is risky.
Reply 4
If you miss a GCSE exam, you can just do it when it's being resat. This happened to my friend, he missed the Bio Module 1 and his History exam and he's doing them this month instead.
Reply 5
thats a bit silly, its a most going to take up to a few hours of your life with exams and then a few more hours with whatever cw u have left. it just means that u can say i got this many GCSEs rather than this many.

Why would you want to get a U?
Reply 7
You will fail mate sorry
Reply 8
You get an X
Reply 9
Original post by tekno
You get an X

X for the paper you missed, probably a U for the GCSE (certainly not an X).
Reply 10
getting a U's pretty stupid. you'll be entered for the exams anyway.

if you get a U, you won't get a certificate. but you're still obliged to declare it if you apply to uni.

i think you might not even get a U because to get a grade you must complete 40% of the modules. if you've only done 25% i don't think that counts. although it mght because you've been entered for all the modules.

you sound like you're trying to fail because you don't think you'll get a good enough grade if you actually try. grow up, you won't get a second chance and nobody else will be impressed by your U.
Reply 11
Original post by ollie82
getting a U's pretty stupid. you'll be entered for the exams anyway.

if you get a U, you won't get a certificate. but you're still obliged to declare it if you apply to uni.

i think you might not even get a U because to get a grade you must complete 40% of the modules. if you've only done 25% i don't think that counts. although it mght because you've been entered for all the modules.

you sound like you're trying to fail because you don't think you'll get a good enough grade if you actually try. grow up, you won't get a second chance and nobody else will be impressed by your U.

Nope. It's because I did badly in a piece of coursework which has stopped me from getting an A or an A* in geography, so I'd rather it not show up at all. Bring on the hate.
Reply 12
just sit the exam, it shouldn't be hard for you, the guy who wants to skip AS levels...
Reply 13
Nope. It's because I did badly in a piece of coursework which has stopped me from getting an A or an A* in geography, so I'd rather it not show up at all. Bring on the hate.

You'd seriously rather have a U than a B or a C? Erm... what?
Reply 14

i know it probably feels like you might as well get a U. if you reckon you should get an A or A*, getting a B or C will feel rubbish. but it doesn't look better if you get a U. if you get a U you can say you just didn't bother so you didn't do well, rather than a B or C where you just didn't do that well... but that's not how colleges/unis/employers will see it. they'll see you've done well elsewhere and realise that you're someone who just gives up.

it's worth getting the best result possible in the exam, and then if you're not happy with your result, you'll be in a position to redo the coursework next year and get a better mark. if you get a rubbish exam result too, then you'll have to redo the whole GCSE or live with knowing you got a U because, really, you gave up and you're sulking.

you know you're better than just giving up.
Reply 15
Original post by ollie82
i know it probably feels like you might as well get a U. if you reckon you should get an A or A*, getting a B or C will feel rubbish. but it doesn't look better if you get a U. if you get a U you can say you just didn't bother so you didn't do well, rather than a B or C where you just didn't do that well... but that's not how colleges/unis/employers will see it. they'll see you've done well elsewhere and realise that you're someone who just gives up.

it's worth getting the best result possible in the exam, and then if you're not happy with your result, you'll be in a position to redo the coursework next year and get a better mark. if you get a rubbish exam result too, then you'll have to redo the whole GCSE or live with knowing you got a U because, really, you gave up and you're sulking.

you know you're better than just giving up.

My teacher isn't letting me redo it even though she still has 2 months to hand them in. :frown:
Reply 16
why not just retake, try as hard as you can and see if you can pass! there is no harm in trying! why do you want to not turn up at a exam and look like you haven't tried?
Reply 17
Wtf? Just sit it for gods sake. As someone has already said its only a few hours of your life. And if you don't think you will achieve an A/A* who cares, would you rather have a B/C/whatever which is still a good GCSE or a U which shows that, compared to your other subjects and results, you didnt try, were lazy and made no effort, really no point in missing it, And how have you completely defeated all possibilities of an A/A* when you've only completed 25% of the course?
you get a bill for the exam :smile:
Reply 19
My teacher isn't letting me redo it even though she still has 2 months to hand them in. :frown:

you don't even have to do it with your school... next year you could redo it while you're doing your a-levels (or do it in the summer, then apply to hand it in when you start college) you can apply as a private candidate, to the same exam board. they'll have your details (your UCI) so you can use your exam result then they'll just add your new coursework result. it's much easier than it sounds.

Latest