The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
~Raven~
This sort of thread really annoys me - Fair enough, you like the smoking ban, because you don't like smoky rooms, or have asthma or whatever. Thats fine, i can understand that.

But is it really necessary to sling little insults and barbs at smokers? - if there's a ban, their smoke won't be affecting you any more, so back the hell off. I don't see a bunch of smokers here raving on about non-smokers whinging constantly at them, because contrary to popular belief a great deal of smokers agree with you - you do have the right to clean air, so we will go outside and let you have it.

Forgive the pun, but stop tarring everyone with the same brush.
I will happily go outside to smoke, and I'll even keep away from any doorways so you can pretend I don't exist, but like it has already been mentioned I'd appreciate an ashtray to dump the end in coz I don't like the litter either.

Well said! :smile:

And just out of interest, what would happen to me if I did attempt to light up in a pub? A fine?
Daveo
So pubs should only be open to smokers? :rolleyes: Smoking is an active method of killing yourself and others, last time i checked, going to a pub didnt carry quite the same risks to either the person going to the pub or the otehr people in the pub.

Nope, pubs should be open to everyone provided they accept the terms that the landlord, the rightful owner of the property, sets out. If the landlord wants to allow people to smoke on their property, then so be it.

Don't like the terms that you have to abide to on the landlord's property? Don't go there.
Reply 62
~Raven~
This sort of thread really annoys me - Fair enough, you like the smoking ban, because you don't like smoky rooms, or have asthma or whatever. Thats fine, i can understand that.

But is it really necessary to sling little insults and barbs at smokers? - if there's a ban, their smoke won't be affecting you any more, so back the hell off. I don't see a bunch of smokers here raving on about non-smokers whinging constantly at them, because contrary to popular belief a great deal of smokers agree with you - you do have the right to clean air, so we will go outside and let you have it.

I will happily go outside to smoke, and I'll even keep away from any doorways so you can pretend I don't exist, but like it has already been mentioned I'd appreciate an ashtray to dump the end in coz I don't like the litter either.

Thankyou! I thought i was the only one who realised some people were over reacting to this ban thing. And besides, its not even coming into force until next year, muahaha.
Reply 63
Stranksy
Thankyou! I thought i was the only one who realised some people were over reacting to this ban thing. And besides, its not even coming into force until next year, muahaha.

Although I'm glad you agree with me, the point I was trying to make was that the ban may be a good thing, but because it is going to come into force it's time for non-smokers to lay off smokers and give them a break.

But thanks anyway.
Reply 64
I personally believe that cigarettes should be made illegal. The reason is that companies are selling something that is physically addictive, and extremely bad for your and the people are you's health. Banning it in public places I feel doesn't go far enough. I think it should be banned full stop.
Reply 65
yay:party:
Reply 66
I think it's all *******s generally. And I'm not a smoker.
Reply 67
ninman
I personally believe that cigarettes should be made illegal. The reason is that companies are selling something that is physically addictive, and extremely bad for your and the people are you's health. Banning it in public places I feel doesn't go far enough. I think it should be banned full stop.

So you'd be for making alcohol illegal too? Because thats physically addictive, extremely bad for you (and causes indirect deaths as the result of drunks eg driving whilst drunk).
Reply 68
Tonight Matthew
Nope, pubs should be open to everyone provided they accept the terms that the landlord, the rightful owner of the property, sets out. If the landlord wants to allow people to smoke on their property, then so be it.

Don't like the terms that you have to abide to on the landlord's property? Don't go there.
Why does the landlord have the right to define rules which ultimately could lead to the death of his customers? Yes he owns the property and can therefore smoke in the private areas however in the public areas allowing people to smoke may as well be considered manslaughter. (yes its extreme and obviosuly not going to be the case but you get the idea)
your not a bad guy if you smoke... your a bad guy if you are a chav. a worse still thing is a chav that smokes
:biggrin:
Daveo
Why does the landlord have the right to define rules which ultimately could lead to the death of his customers? Yes he owns the property and can therefore smoke in the private areas however in the public areas allowing people to smoke may as well be considered manslaughter. (yes its extreme and obviosuly not going to be the case but you get the idea)

You're making the mistake of ignoring the fact that smoking is a legal activity. Therefore he is defining rules which would allow people to partake in a legal activity rather than defining rules which ultimately could lead to the death of his customers.

Anyway, I assume you don't have a problem with the landlord selling alcohol, which could also lead to the death of his customers. I also assume that you have no problem with a home owner defining rules on their property which could lead to the death of those who come to visit them (i.e., smoking, drinking, whatever).

So, with these things considered, I don't really see how you have much of a point to be honest.
Reply 71
Tonight Matthew
You're making the mistake of ignoring the fact that smoking is a legal activity. Therefore he is defining rules which would allow people to partake in a legal activity rather than defining rules which ultimately could lead to the death of his customers. .

Are you denying the fact that smoking kills :confused: Surely thats what this law is for...to make it illegal in public places just beacuse its been a long time in common doesnt mean smoking is hunky dory.

Tonight Matthew
Anyway, I assume you don't have a problem with the landlord selling alcohol, which could also lead to the death of his customers. I also assume that you have no problem with a home owner defining rules on their property which could lead to the death of those who come to visit them (i.e., smoking, drinking, whatever). .
There is no good evidence that alcohol in moderation has a detrimental effect on health infact there is evidence for a protective effect in some cases, you can't compare smoking and alcohol, i admit that abuse of alcohol is a problem but smoking even 1 cig a day will damage both the smoker and surrounding people.

Tonight Matthew
So, with these things considered, I don't really see how you have much of a point to be honest.
ditto.
Reply 72
One of the main points is that landlords wouldn't have wanted to say no to smokers because they would lose business. Now everyone will be in the same boat and it is better for everyone's healthy and wellbeing. Unfortunately, without proper provision for non smoking sections (proper air conditioning, people actually adhering to the rules) laws have to be introduced. If the landlords had catered adequately for all customers then this wouldn't have happened!
Daveo
Are you denying the fact that smoking kills :confused: Surely thats what this law is for...to make it illegal in public places just beacuse its been a long time in common doesnt mean smoking is hunky dory.

There is no good evidence that alcohol in moderation has a detrimental effect on health infact there is evidence for a protective effect in some cases, you can't compare smoking and alcohol, i admit that abuse of alcohol is a problem but smoking even 1 cig a day will damage both the smoker and surrounding people.

I'm not denying that smoking kills. I'm just saying that by your logic in your previous post, a landlord also shouldn't be allowed to sell alcohol, after all, it "ultimately could lead to the death of his customers" (your words). Yes, alcohol in moderation may not be a problem, but how many pubs are frequented solely by people drinking in moderation? Very few I'd imagine. Thus the vending of alcohol is a behaviour is certainly something that "ultimately COULD lead to the deaths of his customers".

The basic point is, people are aware smoking can kill, people are aware alcohol can kill, so you make up your own mind as to whether you want to take that risk and enter the landlord's property, his pub. If you aren't willing to take that risk, don't go to the pub. Quite simple really.

Going to the pub is not some inalienable human right. It's a choice you make. It's just a shame that so many people are apparently unwilling to take responsibility for the risks their own decisions might carry and thus require the government to meddle in people's property and business rights.
Reply 74
Tonight Matthew
I'm not denying that smoking kills. I'm just saying that by your logic in your previous post, a landlord also shouldn't be allowed to sell alcohol, after all, it "ultimately could lead to the death of his customers" (your words). Yes, alcohol in moderation may not be a problem, but how many pubs are frequented solely by people drinking in moderation? Very few I'd imagine.

The basic point is, people are aware smoking can kill, people are aware alcohol can kill, so you make up your own mind as to whether you want to take that risk and enter the landlord's property, his pub. If you aren't willing to take that risk, don't go to the pub. Quite simple really.

Going to the pub is not some inalienable human right. It's a choice you make. It's just a shame that so many people are apparently unwilling to take responsibility for the risks their own decisions might carry and thus require the government to meddle in people's property and business rights.

Drinking doesn't make other people drink though, smoking does and thats the whole point. It is the governments job to protect the population.
Elipsis
Drinking doesn't make other people drink though, smoking does and thats the whole point.

Well those who are worried about the risks of passive smoking shouldn't go on to someone's property who wants to permit smoking.
Reply 76
Originally Posted by ~Raven~

AGREED.
It's the same as anything else in life. If a small number of somkers can't respect non-smokers dislike of smoke (and I often think smokers underestimate just how nasty fag smoke smells and feels to non-smokers), and smoke in a curteous way, then the whole group must suffer. It's life unfortunately.
Reply 78
Tonight Matthew
Well those who are worried about the risks of passive smoking shouldn't go on to someone's property who wants to permit smoking.

What about people who need to go to work, perhaps they don't want to unwillingly smoke several fags a night? Everybody would just go to a smoking bar and we would end up back where we started.
Reply 79
Daveo
yeah cos thats the only reason its been banned :rolleyes: nothing to do with saving lives of non smokers.:rolleyes:

Because you are incapable of making a rational decision regarding your health?

Latest

Trending

Trending