The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA2 29th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by jannesedward
SIT is part of CBT, just like a section of it, if you mentioned parts of CBT you'd still get the marks since they're basically the same thing SIT is primarily for stress.
the 3 parts are conceptualisation(telling them about the effects of stress and identification of stressors), skills aquisition (learning new skills like relaxation, deep breathing) and Application (applying new found skills in the real world)

Thank you! This to me sounds like SD? SIT is just similar then to SD? i just have to ensure i apply it to stress and not fears?
Original post by LeaX
Could someone please explain social cryptomnesia and the snow ball effect? All I know about social change is minority -> majority if consistent, in time with social trends and disobedient role models.
Thank you.

Snow ball effect is basically what it says. A few people from the majority join the minority, larger amounts join and overtime minority is new majority.
Cryptoamnesia. People are too egocentric to let themselves believe they were ever against the minority view as a result they don't really know why they've adopted the new view they simply have. hence amnesia=forgotten.
Original post by Mburchett20
I think i know my stuff- she was talking about Milgram who is a social psychologist who looked at obedience not social change idiot.READ THE QUESTION Properly- Milgram research into obedience. maybe i misread the question but you sorry Pathetic powerpuff girl are wrong..

The variation of milgrams study where there were two other confederates can be used for conformity apparantly. Although still not quite social change.
Reply 1043
Biological Psychology - Stress
Stress as a bodily
response
The body’s response to stress, including the pituitary-adrenal system and the
sympathomedullary pathway in outline
Stress-related illness and the immune system
Stress in everyday life
Life changes and daily hassles as sources of stress
Workplace stress including the effects of workload and control
Personality factors, including Type A and Type B behaviour, hardiness
Psychological and biological methods of stress management, including s

Stress
inoculation therapy and drug therapy
Social Psychology - Social Influence
Social influence
Conformity (majority influence) and explanations of why people conform,
including informational social influence and normative social influence
Types of conformity, including internalisation and compliance
Obedience to authority, including Milgram’s work and explanations of why
people obey
Social influence in
everyday life
Explanations of independent behaviour, including locus of control, how people
resist pressures to conform and resist pressures to obey authority
How social influence research helps us to understand social change; the role
of minority influence in social change I Copied the some of the spec - Independent behaviour is unlikely to come up but still on the spec
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shybrowngirl
:eek: is that on obedience?

no it would be social psychology as a whole so obedience and conformity. You'd talk about studies such as Asch and Milligram.

Also, I didn't mean to worry you. Sorry. :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Peak27
Im done then is this stupid SIT thing comes up cause I have never been taught this!!

Worst thing is i feel i did so well in Unit 1 and had such a good chance of getting an A but Unit 2 will definitely drag me all the way downnnnnnnnn :mad:

No. Dont. Give. Up.

SIT is a just one form of Stress Management, if you know Hardiness Training (which is also a form on Stress Management) then you can talk about that as an alternative.

Just Incase:

Stress Inoculation Training consist of three principles

Conceptualisation: Identifying sources of Stress, keeping a diary, expressing to therapist of sources of stress in order for therapist to challenge how situation could be dealt wit (may link to appraisal)
Skills & Training: Relaxation skills to deal with stressful situations, Communication skills in order to actively express outward emotions of stress in order to reduce them
Application to real-life settings: Applying/using learnt skills in situations out of the therapeutic setting.

Evaluation

+ Focuses on the source of stress rather than just masking symptoms, common with physiological stress managements such as drugs
+ Gives patient sense of control, allowing for opportunity to choose which which skills obtained to use in real-life settings

- Can be time consuming

See, now you know a stress management!
Reply 1046
Original post by Hamsey45
Thats only individual differences in independent behaviour. Stuff like resisting pressures to obey + Conform will probably still be in the test somehow.

so what could you put to evaluate research relating to independent behaviour?
Reply 1047
Original post by PowerPuff
No. Dont. Give. Up.

SIT is a just one form of Stress Management, if you know Hardiness Training (which is also a form on Stress Management) then you can talk about that as an alternative.

Just Incase:

Stress Inoculation Training consist of three principles

Conceptualisation: Identifying sources of Stress, keeping a diary, expressing to therapist of sources of stress in order for therapist to challenge how situation could be dealt wit (may link to appraisal)
Skills & Training: Relaxation skills to deal with stressful situations, Communication skills in order to actively express outward emotions of stress in order to reduce them
Application to real-life settings: Applying/using learnt skills in situations out of the therapeutic setting.

Evaluation

+ Focuses on the source of stress rather than just masking symptoms, common with physiological stress managements such as drugs
+ Gives patient sense of control, allowing for opportunity to choose which which skills obtained to use in real-life settings

- Can be time consuming

See, now you know a stress management!

Thank you so much!! Life saver haha
Original post by Ambbeerr
so what could you put to evaluate research relating to independent behaviour?

Say it was done a long time ago, times have changed etc. Say a lot of it had ethical issues i.e. deception. Also not massive groups thus individual differences, mostly done on men etc
Loooool if you were so good at english why are you taking psychology doesnt take a genius claiming that youre clever to know that psychology and english are two different subjects!! go back to revising GCSE'S mate they seem more like your level
Reply 1050
Can someone please explain the role of minority influence in social change stuff please? or any model essays?
I don't seem to have any notes on this :frown:
Original post by oklaura
Can someone please explain the role of minority influence in social change stuff please? or any model essays?

Social change is brought about when the views of the minority challenge the views of the majority and are then accepted as the majority view. Examples of how this can happen are snowball effect and social cryptoamnesia.
Original post by oklaura

moscoivci and clarke

Moscovici- 2 different conditions carried in lab. Found that social change happens through minority influence. pp's in condition 1 with 2 men (who supposedly called inconsistently a set of blue slides green) which had no affect on the majority influence. and in condition 2 (another 2 men called a all the blue slides green) which made 10% of pp's adopt the same view, showing that social change happens because of minority influence.

Clark-study of the film 12 angry men ( found that people change their personal view/mind when they see others adopt the view of the minority influence).:colondollar:
Original post by starfish232
no it would be social psychology as a whole so obedience and conformity. You'd talk about studies such as Asch and Milligram.

Also, I didn't mean to worry you. Sorry. :redface:

ah okay :biggrin: hehe don't worry! :tongue:
What are the strengths of defining abnormality? Just realised I don't know any.
Reply 1055
Is Milgram Likely to come up ?
If anyone wants to find any last minute stuff this website is brilliant it has everything you need to know, found it recently and it's so much less overwhelming than the big-arse book with all its reams of irrelevant text http://psychology4a.com/aqa_as_psychology.htm
Reply 1057
Has anyone got any example essays on social influence and independent behaviour answers? It would really help me, I'm finding this part difficult
Original post by LeaX
What are the strengths of defining abnormality? Just realised I don't know any.

Deviation social norms-

strenghts/weakness
. Social norms vary across different cultures-for example wlaking around nottingham naked would be seen by us as deviation from scoail norms but wearing a 3 piece suit in the amazonina jungle would be seen as dsn by amazonina indinas.

Failure funtion

s/w
.F2fa is context dependant for example a prisoner on hunger strike is showing signs of maladaptive and irrational behaviour but in this case the behaviour is understanble and accepeted.
. may not always be due to a psychlogical disorder- a person suffering from povery and discrimantion may not be able to support a family or hold down a job- they are showing signs of irrational behaviour but it is not abnomal as they cannot help it.

DIMH
.Not all people meet all 6 criteria of this definition by Jahoda therefore most people would be classified as abnormal which most people are not.

:smile::colondollar:
Reply 1059
Hey guys. i know this is off topic but what do you need to be able to achieve an A* in psychology? Is it meant to be both having an A grade overall (320 or more) and having a 90% average in the A2 units?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending