The Student Room Group

I have an interview for Brit School?

Basically, I applied to do forms of Digital Media Production at Glamorgan, Sussex, Bournemouth, Winchester and Lincoln. After some research and visits I decided that the top three were my favourite, and I would choose two of them.

About a month ago, I got a letter through saying I had applied to the Brit School, which I then found out Bournemouth had moved my course from the campus I'd looked round and loved, to the Brit School, and also made my degree Foundation. I pretty much discounted it from my choices because a) London scares me so much b) It is a Foundation degree. Today I got a letter through saying I have an interview there on the 10th February. Thinking more and more about it, it seems like an amazing opportunity to go and study there, as I'm sure it will be easier to get into the industry that way? However, I'm also volunteering for the 2012 Olympics, and am travelling up to London ALOT for that at the moment, which, because I live on the Isle of Wight, is costing me a fair amount. I'm not too sure I would be able to go up 3 times in February, and find someone to come with me, because, as I have said London scares me a lot. And I've heard Croydon is a bit rough?

So my questions are, is it worth reconsidering it, even though it's only a foundation course, because it may give me links into the industry that Glamorgan and Sussex might not have? Any additional information would be very much appreciated as well :smile: Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I'd say it's definitely worth reconsidering. Croydon's not that bad, compared to many other places in London :nah:
Reply 2
I'd definitely agree with the above - at the very least go to the interview and see how you feel about the whole thing.

P.S - Whoo Isle of Wight.
Reply 3
Okay well I'll try and scrape the funds to get there together, ergh this means I have to reconsider all my options again, thought I'd made a decision! :s-smilie:

Nothing to woo about the Isle of Wight ;(
Reply 4
Okay well I'll try and scrape the funds to get there together, ergh this means I have to reconsider all my options again, thought I'd made a decision! :s-smilie:

Reply 5
What's wrong with London? :colonhash:
Reply 6
Nothings wrong with London, it's just I come from the middle of nowhere and being in such a bustling busy area scares me a bit. I have a big fear of the tube.
Reply 7
Original post by CrazyMel

I know there's nothing to whoo. I'm glad university offers an escape : D
Reply 8
Original post by Blazara
I know there's nothing to whoo. I'm glad university offers an escape : D

Oh same! Can't wait to be somewhere with a regular/reliable bus service!
Reply 9
Oh same! Can't wait to be somewhere with a regular/reliable bus service!

... I'd be careful about that wish - university buses still aren't great. They do at least understand the concept of a return ticket :biggrin:
Reply 10
GOOD LUCK. Hopefully you get in :smile:
Nothing wrong with Croydon, I live there, so if you want to know about it let me know
Reply 12
Original post by Blazara
... I'd be careful about that wish - university buses still aren't great. They do at least understand the concept of a return ticket :biggrin:

Where I am there are only two buses a day - I would hope they can't get worse than that!
Reply 13
Where I am there are only two buses a day - I would hope they can't get worse than that!

Oh dear, West Wight.
I've lived in Croydon for years. It's not bad. Good shopping and you're in central London in 17 minutes.
Reply 15
I was going to do this course! I went to the Brit School for two years and did art & design and was going to continue to do the foundation and trust me the course looks brilliant. The course leaders are so so dedicated and the guy who runs it is really good and helpful, I went to him a lot during my art course. I didn't go to it because I wanted to leave Brit when my friends were really plus they changed the course to two years. But it looks brilliant.

And Croydons not bad, Selhurst where the school is is a bit grim but the school livens it up.

Anymore questions feel free to ask as I know a lot about this topic!
Reply 16
Original post by Blazara
Oh dear, West Wight.

No actually, East Wight! D:
Reply 17
People who said about Croydon:
i'm just a little bit scared because as I said before I'm not a big fan of London, easily scared and everything, because I'm used to a little Island, is it going to be scary for me to be there on my own? getting dropped off nearby by someone, and have to make my own way there and back, how can I get back to Portsmouth easily?

Re: I have an interview for Brit School?
I was going to do this course! I went to the Brit School for two years and did art & design and was going to continue to do the foundation and trust me the course looks brilliant. The course leaders are so so dedicated and the guy who runs it is really good and helpful, I went to him a lot during my art course. I didn't go to it because I wanted to leave Brit when my friends were really plus they changed the course to two years. But it looks brilliant.

And Croydons not bad, Selhurst where the school is is a bit grim but the school livens it up.

Would you say it would give me some advantage over going to either Sussex or Cardiff because it is, THE Brit School? Like, because it's only a foundation course whereas the other two are full degrees? And I really like the other two! I suppose I have to see what I feel about the place when I get there.
Reply 18
People who said about Croydon:
i'm just a little bit scared because as I said before I'm not a big fan of London, easily scared and everything, because I'm used to a little Island, is it going to be scary for me to be there on my own? getting dropped off nearby by someone, and have to make my own way there and back, how can I get back to Portsmouth easily?

Would you say it would give me some advantage over going to either Sussex or Cardiff because it is, THE Brit School? Like, because it's only a foundation course whereas the other two are full degrees? And I really like the other two! I suppose I have to see what I feel about the place when I get there.

Loads of people get the train together so I doubt you would be travelling alone, it would be easy to make friends to travel with that is what I did during my time at Brit, had a bus buddy! Honestly it is fine, the whole school area is really busy full of school kids plus there is a primary school next door now so it's all really safe and Croydon central I walk through every day and have never had any issues there.

On to your second point I can't say really because I'm not sure how much going to the school has influenced peoples opinions on me but it is a very respectable school with a great reputation so it isn't going to hinder you. I know with this course you can make it become a full degree as you can do your third year at Bournemouth.
Croydon scares the bejesus out of me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending