The Student Room Group

Desperate to transfer and feel like a failure for not choosing better college

I feel like a failure because I rejected a place at BRIT school to attend a really **** local college where I have only a couple of classes that aren’t cancelled a week. There’s only a minority of people who actually care about their education, teachers don’t teach or can’t be asked to even come in half the time, there are no extracurriculars or clubs available to us or any opportunities that would make our applications to uni better, etc. In general all my friends look at my college and ask why it’s even allowed to be open, considering the many stories of stabbings and gang violence but no actual teaching or enrichment for the students. The school is decent in the sense that it’s not particularly bad, but they don’t care enough about the students to do anything that would help them go to uni. Multiple times I’ve asked my teachers for help and career advice, and they’ve simply told me to go home and study. None of them even bothered talking to me after class and one of my teachers is always asking what my name is like he can’t even remember his own students names let alone care about any of us or teach well (we usually watch clips and movies and do no written work).

For context, when I got into BRIT school at the end of year 11 my parents were really strict so I wasn’t allowed a phone, I wasn’t allowed to hang out with people after school or allowed friends to be honest and I wasn’t allowed social media and don’t have wifi at my house. I had no choice but to ask my parents for advice on which college to choose since I literally didn’t have contact with the outside world aside from my classes at secondary, and my parents advised me to not go Brit as they’d rather I go somewhere local.

Now I’m stuck and praying I can somehow transfer to any other school because genuinely I don’t know how I’m going to get to a good uni if I stay at my current school. Literally 80% of my classes have been cancelled or we don’t learn half as much or get any extracurricular opportunities compared to my friends at other schools. Literally not even one club is promoted or anything. I’m doing my best to do as much work outside of school as I can, but I know it’s not enough looking at what my friends are doing. I am trying, but there’s only so much independent learning a person can do without any support from their school.

Now I’m so stressed and feel like a failure because, to be honest, everyone at my school are either druggie stoners who come to school high and don’t care about their education or people who aren’t interested in going to uni and are already working, so they aren’t stressing about the future. I am also working part time but it’s not something I want to do forever; I just want to be able to go uni and then get a full time job I’m happy with. I didn’t know this before joining because the school looked like it had nice facilities and the reviews and website looked good, and that’s literally all I had to go with.

Is it too late to transfer somewhere else? I would restart the year somewhere else but I already joined year 12 late so next year I’ll be 18 in a class of 16/17 year olds if I choose to do that.
Hey, I’m applying to the the Brit school, oh that’s such a shame. I think you might be able to transfer early in year 12 but it has to be in the first term. What course are you doing and do you have any tips?
Reply 2
Original post by trippy04
I feel like a failure because I rejected a place at BRIT school to attend a really **** local college where I have only a couple of classes that aren’t cancelled a week. There’s only a minority of people who actually care about their education, teachers don’t teach or can’t be asked to even come in half the time, there are no extracurriculars or clubs available to us or any opportunities that would make our applications to uni better, etc. In general all my friends look at my college and ask why it’s even allowed to be open, considering the many stories of stabbings and gang violence but no actual teaching or enrichment for the students. The school is decent in the sense that it’s not particularly bad, but they don’t care enough about the students to do anything that would help them go to uni. Multiple times I’ve asked my teachers for help and career advice, and they’ve simply told me to go home and study. None of them even bothered talking to me after class and one of my teachers is always asking what my name is like he can’t even remember his own students names let alone care about any of us or teach well (we usually watch clips and movies and do no written work).

For context, when I got into BRIT school at the end of year 11 my parents were really strict so I wasn’t allowed a phone, I wasn’t allowed to hang out with people after school or allowed friends to be honest and I wasn’t allowed social media and don’t have wifi at my house. I had no choice but to ask my parents for advice on which college to choose since I literally didn’t have contact with the outside world aside from my classes at secondary, and my parents advised me to not go Brit as they’d rather I go somewhere local.

Now I’m stuck and praying I can somehow transfer to any other school because genuinely I don’t know how I’m going to get to a good uni if I stay at my current school. Literally 80% of my classes have been cancelled or we don’t learn half as much or get any extracurricular opportunities compared to my friends at other schools. Literally not even one club is promoted or anything. I’m doing my best to do as much work outside of school as I can, but I know it’s not enough looking at what my friends are doing. I am trying, but there’s only so much independent learning a person can do without any support from their school.

Now I’m so stressed and feel like a failure because, to be honest, everyone at my school are either druggie stoners who come to school high and don’t care about their education or people who aren’t interested in going to uni and are already working, so they aren’t stressing about the future. I am also working part time but it’s not something I want to do forever; I just want to be able to go uni and then get a full time job I’m happy with. I didn’t know this before joining because the school looked like it had nice facilities and the reviews and website looked good, and that’s literally all I had to go with.

Is it too late to transfer somewhere else? I would restart the year somewhere else but I already joined year 12 late so next year I’ll be 18 in a class of 16/17 year olds if I choose to do that.

Unfortunately you'd be considered too old to re-sit a Post-16 Strand. In their FAQs, it states: 'Applicants who have already studied at Year 12 can apply to us but they will have to re-sit year 12 again. They cannot be 18 years of age at the start of the course. They should submit a Year 11 report alongside their application.'

Hopefully this all works out for you in the end. If worse comes to worse, Uni is not the only path into a career in the Arts. I don't know what Strand you would have taken, but industries also highly value portfolios and actual examples of independent work, arguably even more than a uni degree as it shows actual application of skill without guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending