The Student Room Group

Best Scottish Uni to study Medicine at?

The question says it all :smile: Which uni (like St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee, etc.) has the "best" medicine course in your opinion? Or which one is the most reputable?
Reply 1
They are all as reputable as each other. It depends what you want really, and if you are a Scot you will only not be applying to one.
Reply 2
not a scot :P
Edinburgh's renowned for its medicine degree
Reply 4
I hear that there's an excessive amount of self teaching at both Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Reply 5
Edinburgh is currently the most well known though Dundee is gaining a very good name for itself largely due to the research that is happening there. Glasgow's reasonably well known as being very pbl focused, whether or not that floats your boat is up to you. Last but not least Aberdeen is the oldest Medical school and has the one of the largest clinical sites in Europe. Dunno that much about st Andrews I'm afraid.
Reply 6
pbl focused? sorry, haven't heard that abbreviation before :P
Reply 7
Original post by Juliak
pbl focused? sorry, haven't heard that abbreviation before :P

Problem based learning
Reply 8
NOBODY here will have completed medicine at more than one university, let alone more than one in Scotland. Therefore there will be nobody who will be able to give you a decent/valid comparison of the med schools, or tell you which is the best.

All you can do is go to an open day and make a decision. Don't think 'well I want to go to the most reputable med school'. To get into any med school in the UK is a massive achievement, you don't want to be too picky with a course like medicine. Especially when, statistically speaking, you won't get into even the least prestigious university to do medicine.

hope that wasn't too harsh
Reply 9
Thats fine :smile: thanks for your input, and you are right about the fact that most people will not have gone to more than one medical uni and be able to compare. I just wanted opinions, that's all. However, you have no idea what grades I get, what school I go to, etc. so don't be so quick to judge and tell me I "won't get in". But thanks for your opinion anyway.
Reply 10
Dundee has been ranked above Oxford for medicine in recent years, if that helps. Not that prestige matters one bit when it comes to medicine anyway :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest