The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Clearing for Biomedical Sciences at Edin

Hi, so my plans for uni have changed drastically and I'm basically left with 5 rejections right now, but I'd still like to go to uni this year. I want to ask if anyone has ever seen the biomedical sciences (i.e. neuroscience, pharmacology etc.) at Edinburgh Uni in clearing in the past as that's really the only uni I'm interested in going to right now. Thanks!
Whether it was in clearing or not in the past doesn't tell you whether it will be in clearing this year. Edinburgh has had courses in clearing before, but it may not have any this year. Or it might have all of them. There is really no consistency as clearing is specifically designed just to fill leftover spaces - so it will depend entirely on how many applied to which subjects, achieved their offers, and confirmed their attendance. This will vary wildly year on year.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
As an example, Bath is still accepting Extra applications for Pharmacology, Chemistry, Biosciences - and so will many other leading Unis, so its worth contacting some more Unis than just Edinburgh. Waiting for Clearing is very risky, and you could still find a place now.
Reply 3
Edinburgh tends not to go into Clearing. If you want to go to Edinburgh you may need to seek out a less popular course. If you want to study biomedical sciences then you may need to consider other unis.

I am guessing you applied for medicine? If so, consider biomedical sciences at Swansea - simply because they guaranteed an interview at Swansea medical school upon completion of the degree to enter medicine as a graduate entry student.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
Edinburgh tends not to go into Clearing. If you want to go to Edinburgh you may need to seek out a less popular course. If you want to study biomedical sciences then you may need to consider other unis.

I am guessing you applied for medicine? If so, consider biomedical sciences at Swansea - simply because they guaranteed an interview at Swansea medical school upon completion of the degree to enter medicine as a graduate entry student.

Hey, thanks for replying! I actually applied for vet med originally but my plans have changed now so I just want to do a degree that will lead me to a scientific research-based career and I feel that a biomed degree will open lots of different research opportunities for me. I'm a Scottish resident so I'd rather not leave Scotland as we get free tuition, but thanks for the suggestion!

The other reason why I'm wanting to go to Edin is because it's a Russel group uni and having a degree from a uni like that would look good for employers, but I'll also have a look at if any courses at Glasgow uni interest me.
Here is an article of what universities were in clearing in 2022. However that will be different this year. Edinburgh has very few courses available any year so the likelyhood is your subject wont be and given how competitive biomedical science is it will be very difficult to get a place especially if you are restricted to 2 Scottish universities.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=9c9164d7fa84c190JmltdHM9MTY4Mzg0OTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTIwMw&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=universities+in+clearing+2022&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGltZXNoaWdoZXJlZHVjYXRpb24uY29tL3N0dWRlbnQvYWR2aWNlL2NsZWFyaW5nLTIwMjItdWstdW5pdmVyc2l0aWVzLWNvdXJzZXMtc3RpbGwtYXZhaWxhYmxl&ntb=1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending