The Student Room Group

Land law: problem scenario

Wonder whether anyone had any opinion on this scenario. Personally I found the answer very flexible. Looks like the answer will have to be based on which angle one would favour more than others.

"Aesop is interested in buying the freehold estate in ‘Dunroamin’, a relatively large detached house, with surrounding grounds. The current registered proprietor is Babs, who has lived in the property for about 10 years. Aesop checks the register for the property, and sees nothing untoward. He also makes two visits to the property, on different weekends, to have a look round. On the second visit, whilst Babs is showing him around some of the garden, Aesop notices a strange mound of earth with a metal door set in it. He asks Babs about this, and she tells him, ‘Oh, that is just an old war-time bomb shelter. It’s a bit run down, so you might want to get it sorted out when you move in.’

Aesop decides to buy ‘Dunroamin’. Everything goes smoothly, and Aesop moves in. A week later, he is sunbathing in the garden when he hears a door creaking open. Sitting up, he sees an elderly gentleman emerging from behind the metal door that he first saw when visiting the property. Startled, and a little disturbed, Aesop demands to know what the gentleman is doing in the dangerous old bomb shelter. Surprised, he replies, ‘I’m Chegwin, Babs’ uncle. I’ve lived in here for the past 8 years, and there’s nothing dangerous about it. Come and see!’ Aesop follows Uncle Chegwin into the old bomb shelter, and is surprised to see that it has been renovated at some point in the past, and is now a rather cosy little underground cottage.

Not sure what to make of this unexpected turn of events, Aesop tells Uncle Chegwin, ‘Don’t you know that Babs doesn’t live here any more!? I’m the new owner, and I’m afraid that you’re going to have to move out as quickly as possible’. Uncle Chegwin, developing a steely glint in his eye, replies. ‘Not likely. I spent my savings on doing up this shelter, and Babs told me I could live in it for as long as I liked. I even put the plumbing in myself. I’m not going anywhere, young man!’ "

How can I advice Aesop or even the uncle?
Wow surprised to see our 3rd year Land Law problem question up on here! Perhaps you should go away and do the reading instead of trying to get other people to do it for you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending