The Student Room Group

Should you choose a university for it's reputation or for the course?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PipGrove
I think I should definitely go and visit Sheffield, because I only have a real idea of Bristol and Manchester's courses. I preferred Manchester's course, it was really flexible and focused on bio more than chemistry!

have heard good things about sheffield generally speaking and they do say, visit the place, before u make any decisions.

best of luck with it and i hope when you've done your visiting, there's a clear winner! :smile:
I would prioritise the course over the university as a whole's reputation and location to be honest, you're spending thousands studying a subject for 3/4 years of your life so you'll hate it if the course isn't suitable for you.
Reply 22
Original post by Unununium
Well lincoln is my local city, so i know it well anyway. the student night life is brilliant, the uni is gorgeous so thats all a bonus! But i primarily picked it for how good it is for forensic science! all the other stuff just sorta adds to it :smile:

Lucky it was your local city then! :smile:
Reply 23
Take both into account, as well as a number of other things.
Lucky it was your local city then! :smile:

Well i didnt mind that it was my local city! all my friends turned their nose up at it cuz it was what we already knew! but ive still moved out of home and moved into halls :smile:
Reply 25
Both.
Reply 26
Original post by mevidek
Take both into account, as well as a number of other things.

Should I sort of look at the pros and cons then? For looooads of aspects?
Definitely course, but uni is very important too. You need to have a course which covers the stuff you want to learn, so if you are really interested in the biomedical side of biochemistry (for example) you have to make sure that is covered in the course. You do need to live there for 3 years though so it has to be somewhere you like. In terms of sheffield, I didn't think it was too bad when I visited it, didn't really visit it properly though. I wouldn't go to a uni without visiting it, but equally a lot of my friends hadn't visited lancaster before coming and say they don't regret coming here without seeing it!
I have to decide which university to firm between Sheffield, Bristol and Manchester, and I haven't a clue :/ I'm applying for Biological sciences (biochem) and I've been to see Bristol and Manchester, but I haven't seen Sheffield... I loved the look of Bristol, but the course didn't sound so good... And I thought Manchester wasn't so "pretty", even though the course sounds great!
Can anyone give me some advice? :smile:

Personally, for rep and course- both.

I would choose Manchester (no bias) but can understand what you mean. The buildings, the building I am in for lectures and seminars is pretty disgusting. :frown: For a university that made nearly a billion pounds, you would think it would at least rebuild some of the buildings.
Reply 29
Original post by bownessie
Definitely course, but uni is very important too. You need to have a course which covers the stuff you want to learn, so if you are really interested in the biomedical side of biochemistry (for example) you have to make sure that is covered in the course. You do need to live there for 3 years though so it has to be somewhere you like. In terms of sheffield, I didn't think it was too bad when I visited it, didn't really visit it properly though. I wouldn't go to a uni without visiting it, but equally a lot of my friends hadn't visited lancaster before coming and say they don't regret coming here without seeing it!

Yeah I'm more interested in the biomedical side of biochem! And all the courses cover that at the unis where I have an offer. Sheffield is just a tiny bit easier to get into, (they are less demanding result-wise). I should definitely go and see the university because otherwise I won't even consider it, and what a shame: I may have liked it! I have got till the 7th May :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by The_Male_Melons

I would choose Manchester (no bias) but can understand what you mean. The buildings, the building I am in for lectures and seminars is pretty disgusting. :frown: For a university that made nearly a billion pounds, you would think it would at least rebuild some of the buildings.

Huuum they didn't even show us the disgusting buildings! They only showed us the fancy new one!! Naughty Manchester! what course are you doing?
Yeah I'm more interested in the biomedical side of biochem! And all the courses cover that at the unis where I have an offer. Sheffield is just a tiny bit easier to get into, (they are less demanding result-wise). I should definitely go and see the university because otherwise I won't even consider it, and what a shame: I may have liked it! I have got till the 7th May :smile:

Sheffield also has some quite good videos about freshers which should give you a bit of an impression of the place. It might also be worth looking at uni vids from sheffield hallam as it m ight give you an impression of the city as well.
Reply 32
Should I sort of look at the pros and cons then? For looooads of aspects?

And also see how much you actually like the place; do you think you'd be a good student there and can you see yourself there?
Reply 33
Wow, I am in the exact same position!

Applied for bio science (cell biology) Manchester, Sheffield, York, UCL and Newcastle.

Most likely I will choose Manchester, as it offers the most flexible course :smile:

Still I am considering Sheffield badly.. I have e-mailed the department of bio science for the complete modules/courses but they haven't replied yet..
I have to decide which university to firm between Sheffield, Bristol and Manchester, and I haven't a clue :/ I'm applying for Biological sciences (biochem) and I've been to see Bristol and Manchester, but I haven't seen Sheffield... I loved the look of Bristol, but the course didn't sound so good... And I thought Manchester wasn't so "pretty", even though the course sounds great!
Can anyone give me some advice? :smile:

I'd go to Bristol. Such a great city and it's just awesome. Research the courses online though before you make your mind up. Find out what modules are on offer and whether you like them.
Original post by The_Male_Melons

A BILLION Pounds profit? Surely that can't be right...maybe turnover, but profit :redface: staggering! I thought buildings were okay, for History anyway, and they've got that new learning commons. Are they building anything else?

Also, for halls, is Oak House the place to be? Would it still be possible to get 55-60%?
Reply 36
Well I studied at Sheffield and I loved it, so I definitely wouldn't discredit it on the social side. I don't know what reputation they have for Bio Sciences, but my ex studied Biomedical Science there and it seemed to be a pretty thorough and rigorous course from what I could gather. I definitely agree with one of the posters above though that you should go for a course that you'll be interested in over location. If you go to a city you love, but end up on a course you hate it'll be a loooooooonnngggg 4 years to be sure...
Reply 37
Original post by Silver Arrow
I'd go to Bristol. Such a great city and it's just awesome. Research the courses online though before you make your mind up. Find out what modules are on offer and whether you like them.

Yeah the city was just... Perfect for me! Maybe Sheffield will be too, I don't know yet :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Masoudy
Wow, I am in the exact same position!

Applied for bio science (cell biology) Manchester, Sheffield, York, UCL and Newcastle.

Most likely I will choose Manchester, as it offers the most flexible course :smile:

Still I am considering Sheffield badly.. I have e-mailed the department of bio science for the complete modules/courses but they haven't replied yet..

Yeah I really liked the flexibility at Manchester, but what did you think of the town? And have you been to see Sheffield? :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by fl4mers
Well I studied at Sheffield and I loved it, so I definitely wouldn't discredit it on the social side. I don't know what reputation they have for Bio Sciences, but my ex studied Biomedical Science there and it seemed to be a pretty thorough and rigorous course from what I could gather. I definitely agree with one of the posters above though that you should go for a course that you'll be interested in over location. If you go to a city you love, but end up on a course you hate it'll be a loooooooonnngggg 4 years to be sure...

I now know that I should check the town out. The videos on the website aren't enough to get a real feel of the place!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending