The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4 (6BI04) - 15 June 2012 - Official Exam Discussion Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marc_h94
My Biology teacher is contacting Edexcel about this. He really wasn't happy either with the standard of the questions.

one of the dudes tweeted........
edexcel
they were like the teacher can file an official complain on behalf of the students

make sure ur teacher does that :biggrin:
Student complaints don't seem effectice, everyone should get their teachers to complain, then something might happen
Reply 1062
Original post by vampirerahim
Guys we can take a stand
some dude tweeted edexcel they were the teacher can file an official complaint on behalf of the student

Lets do this guys
for all of us who need As to get into universities...
lets take a stand.....

hey h about making a facebook group and we all join it and write our comments there im sure many pple will join in this group worldwide even those who didnt see our comments on TSR will see it on fb and u knw wat by this we might also attract the media's attention like wat had happened with the AQA when the independent news wrote about there exam
sounds a great idea ryt? and im sure that the media has its own pressure that will certainly push edexcel to do an action isnt or i dream alot :rolleyes::colondollar:
Reply 1063
their reply to me :
Thank you for your email regarding the Biology Unit 4 (6BI04) exam you sat on Friday 15 June. I understand that you are concerned about the content of this paper and the length of time you were given to complete the exam.

We read all feedback from students and your specific comments have been passed to our assessment team. From time to time, we do get comments from some students that they were unable to complete an exam. The reasons for this can be varied and range from the amount of reading, the difficulty of the exam, or the level that the student is able to work at.

Our examiners will monitor all students’ actual responses carefully and take any action that is necessary to ensure that you are fairly rewarded for your performance. This may include adjusting the mark scheme or the grade boundaries for the paper depending on what we find once we have marked responses.

Unfortunately we cannot provide individual responses to students about the outcomes of an investigation or on our grading decisions.

If you haven’t already, we advise that you raise the issues you have mentioned directly to your school or college. Your teacher is in the best position to guide you and if they feel they need to formally raise your concerns with us, they can do so on behalf of all students at your centre.

We will issue a formal reply to any centres who contact us with concerns once the grade boundaries have been awarded.

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

One90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 7BH
Original post by ghogho
hey h about making a facebook group and we all join it and write our comments there im sure many pple will join in this group worldwide even those who didnt see our comments on TSR will see it on fb and u knw wat by this we might also attract the media's attention like wat had happened with the AQA when the independent news wrote about there exam
sounds a great idea ryt? and im sure that the media has its own pressure that will certainly push edexcel to do an action isnt or i dream alot :rolleyes::colondollar:

Sounds like a great idea....
Lets do this

We shalll make history and bring justice to all the alevel bio ppl for the next years
my teacher told me that bio5 used to be 1hr 30 mins they then increased the time due to the complains and hnce the boundries were **** loww

so lets do this

[email protected]
add me up on fb
Reply 1065
okay so what do we call the group???
:colonhash:
Reply 1066
i have the same mail from them;
Dear Demet Dilaver

Thank you for your email regarding the Biology Unit 4 (6BI04) exam you sat on Friday 15 June. I understand that you are concerned about the content of this paper and the length of time you were given to complete the exam.

We read all feedback from students and your specific comments have been passed to our assessment team. From time to time, we do get comments from some students that they were unable to complete an exam. The reasons for this can be varied and range from the amount of reading, the difficulty of the exam, or the level that the student is able to work at.

Our examiners will monitor all students’ actual responses carefully and take any action that is necessary to ensure that you are fairly rewarded for your performance. This may include adjusting the mark scheme or the grade boundaries for the paper depending on what we find once we have marked responses.

Unfortunately we cannot provide individual responses to students about the outcomes of an investigation or on our grading decisions.

If you haven’t already, we advise that you raise the issues you have mentioned directly to your school or college. Your teacher is in the best position to guide you and if they feel they need to formally raise your concerns with us, they can do so on behalf of all students at your centre.

We will issue a formal reply to any centres who contact us with concerns once the grade boundaries have been awarded.

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

One90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 7BH

D: +44 (0)20 7190 4096
E: [email protected]
Please note my new e-mail address from January 2012
Tell us how we're doing! Take our 30 second survey.

Pearson
Always Learning
Learn more at www.edexcel.com and www.pearson.com/uk

so now what happens?
Reply 1067
I sent a complaint email, and also emailed my biology teachers and told them how nobody managed to finish and what an awful paper it was. They said they looked at the paper and thought it had challenging questions but are not going to send a complaint. They said to focus on the remaining exams and not to worry about it -.-
Reply 1068
Original post by abbas1994
I got a reply:

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

One90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 7BH

Pearson
Always Learning

I got the exact feedback!!
Reply 1069
Original post by ghogho
& wat grade did u get??

I got an A
Original post by demdil
i have the same mail from them;
Dear Demet Dilaver

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

One90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 7BH

Pearson
Always Learning

so now what happens?

The number of complaints matter alot
So if the complaints are alot this might work out
Reply 1071

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

One90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 7BH

Pearson
Always Learning

that is their reply to me it is repeated the same like the one sent to all of u
i think an offical message will be taken in considration more
Found two protest links from last years January AND June exams on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Edexcel-SNAB-Biology-24012011-was-ridiculous/124534277616954

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Protest-against-Edexcel-Biology-Unit-4-Exam-130611/130890383657523

It seems as if Edexcel received the same response to 2011's exams, and in my opinion they won't be changing their exam style in the future, unfortunately. I hope the numerous complaints do work, because the exam was just diabolical, but by the fact that TWO Facebook groups already existed for exactly the same reasons last year and nothing's changed since then, it doesn't look hopeful.
Reply 1073
Original post by emilym94
Found two protest links from last years January AND June exams on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Edexcel-SNAB-Biology-24012011-was-ridiculous/124534277616954

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Protest-against-Edexcel-Biology-Unit-4-Exam-130611/130890383657523

It seems as if Edexcel received the same response to 2011's exams, and in my opinion they won't be changing their exam style in the future, unfortunately. I hope the numerous complaints do work, because the exam was just diabolical, but by the fact that TWO Facebook groups already existed for exactly the same reasons last year and nothing's changed since then, it doesn't look hopeful.

and they got no response bk so wat we r doing is just a waste of time :frown: :s-smilie: ;(
Reply 1074
Original post by ghogho
and they got no response bk so wat we r doing is just a waste of time :frown: :s-smilie: ;(

But that may be because not many people joined the group...I mean almost every1 i talk 2 hated the paper and if a group is created and say 3000 people join it edexcel would have no choice but to review the paper
Original post by ghogho

Well i dnt knw about last year
i am more concerned bought the time limit rather than the content of the paper
And i thot questions about speciation and stuff are all theory driven

the fact that the questions were longer than the asnwers needed more tiime
anylysing the data needs time

And who know did those ppl actually complain or just made fb page and talk among each other :P
Original post by Gago99
But that may be because not many people joined the group...I mean almost every1 i talk 2 hated the paper and if a group is created and say 3000 people join it edexcel would have no choice but to review the paper

Well i dnt knw about last year
i am more concerned bought the time limit rather than the content of the paper
And i thot questions about speciation and stuff are all theory driven

the fact that the questions were longer than the asnwers needed more tiime
anylysing the data needs time

And who know did those ppl actually complain or just made fb page and talk among each other :P
Reply 1077
They replied! Interesting

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1078
Original post by 19941994
They replied! Interesting

Yours sincerely

Sheila Bugembe
Complaints Coordinator
Edexcel
Pearson UK

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yupp. The same thing happened to me. What do you think they'll actually do?
It seems that the majority of you that emailed them have received the exact same reply - to me, it looks as if students' complaints aren't being taken as seriously as they should be.

It may be more effective if a biology teacher or the school in general issued a formal complaint.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending