The Student Room Group

King's IP or Warwick PPE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScholarsInk
I'm not a King's student yet. We might be measuring 'prestige' differently, though. In my book, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, King's etc are easily more prestigious than Warwick.

prestigious -
Inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.

Seems like you equate prestige with history which is rather odd but fair enough. It's pointless to debate about whether those universities are more prestigious or not, but I will say that to say that the aforementioned universities are 'easily more prestigious' than Warwick based on historical prestige without any form of evidence or citations is rather ill-informed.

We might be arguing from different points. I am using 'reputation' as synonymous with 'recognition'.

This is strange, because Manchester as a name is probably more universally recognised than 'the LSE' yet I doubt you'd place Manchester higher in reputation than LSE. Familarity and recognition isn't synonymous with prestige and reputation. Manchester is an example of a university, which is globally well-known, but not an elite university by large.

Rankings are a load of rubbish. Hong Kong University is not better than Penn, UCL is not at Yale's level.

Ok.. so what criteria does King's 'easily exceed' Warwick in?

The inviting King's students is precisely what I mean vis-a-vis logistics,and it certainly does happen.

My point is that if King's is as strong as you say, they would be having 'individual employer presentations at King's but clearly it is not as reputable as UCL or LSE. King's is a strong university, but in terms of employer's perception of it, it lags behind Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and other universities of a similar ilk. King's has lower entrance requirements than the aforementioned universities, and in my experience, is considerably easier to gain admission into. It's glamorous London location has probably contribuited to it being globally big in your eyes. Also you didn't answer my question about firms specifically targeting students from Oxbridge LSE, UCL, KCL, probably because it's not reality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Tsunami2011
prestigious -
Inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.

Seems like you equate prestige with history which is rather odd but fair enough. It's pointless to debate about whether those universities are more prestigious or not, but I will say that to say that the aforementioned universities are 'easily more prestigious' than Warwick based on historical prestige without any form of evidence or citations is rather ill-informed.

This is strange, because Manchester as a name is probably more universally recognised than 'the LSE' yet I doubt you'd place Manchester higher in reputation than LSE. Familarity and recognition isn't synonymous with prestige and reputation. Manchester is an example of a university, which is globally well-known, but not an elite university by large.

Ok.. so what criteria does King's 'easily exceed' Warwick in?

My point is that if King's is as strong as you say, they would be having 'individual employer presentations at King's but clearly it is not as reputable as UCL or LSE. King's is a strong university, but in terms of employer's perception of it, it lags behind Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and other universities of a similar ilk. King's has lower entrance requirements than the aforementioned universities, and in my experience, is considerably easier to gain admission into. It's glamorous London location has probably contribuited to it being globally big in your eyes. Also you didn't answer my question about firms specifically targeting students from Oxbridge LSE, UCL, KCL, probably because it's not reality.

Completely agree
Putting all of the above aside. Looking simply at the degrees, PPE is a far stronger degree than International Politics, this isn't even up for debate. If you like Politics so much, you can major and do that within PPE.
(edited 12 years ago)
:bump: CLARIFICATION: All those replying to my query, please keep in mind that I don't have an iota of interest in joining the City (or anything Finance related) What I'm largely interested in is Journalism (writing for a newspaper or something) OR working with the United Nations and the like. So Warwick's prestige in financial circles won't really matter to me...:s-smilie: + Deep, I have never, in my life, heard about Oxford going anywhere for educational-fairs, much less India. They don't need advertising. Anyway, let's not get into all that, what I'm more interested in is obtaining a solution from this thread. I am looking forward to more opinions....
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
:bump: CLARIFICATION: All those replying to my query, please keep in mind that I don't have an iota of interest in joining the City (or anything Finance related) What I'm largely interested in is Journalism (writing for a newspaper or something) OR working with the United Nations and the like. So Warwick's prestige in financial circles won't really matter to me...:s-smilie: + Deep, I have never, in my life, heard about Oxford going anywhere for educational-fairs, much less India. They don't need advertising. Anyway, let's not get into all that, what I'm more interested in is obtaining a solution from this thread. I am looking forward to more opinions....

Warwick is well regarded in every industry, AFAIK, being a journalism won't be closed to you by going to Warwick, the same applies to King's. Oxford is a different matter, whoever hasn't heard of Oxford must be an illiterate. Warwick is one of the most oversubscribed universities in the UK, so I doubt they were giving on the spot offers to your friends :lol: Other top universities such as St Andrews do partake in educational fairs aswell. Just go to King's, Coventry is a ****hole.

Seems like you think you're above Warwick in some way, I'm sure you wouldn't be missed mate.
(edited 12 years ago)

It's not about advertising. It's about raising revenue streams as any good business would.

To be honest, it is a bit redundant to listen to opinions from students on the internet, to form the basis of your decision, especially when you refuse to listen to them at anything other than face value. You will probably be better off visiting England and paying for a 25,000 rupee return ticket and all the rest of it since you may be spending vast sums in the excess of £20,000 a year, probably be the sensible thing to do.

Seems like you want to go to King's, go there. I am not really sure what you are looking for.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
I'd go for Warwick. PPE is a MUCH more prestigious degree especially at Warwick. Have fun.

<3 x
Original post by kevin6767
It is truly disheartening to see so many comments wittering on about prestige and which institution will look better blah blah blah. let's introduce a new concept, which do you feel is better for you? You say you want to go into journalism in one of your posts, what sort of journalism? The truth is you do not need a specific degree to go into journalism so people telling you that PPE or IP would be better, in my opinion, are confused as to the general requirements. I do not envy you your choice, both are fantastic courses at great uni's but your decision should be based on more than prestige and rankings. Would you be more confortable living in London or Coventry? Which has the more appealing course content? What sort of contact time will you get? The list is endless. I am currently part of the a network at university that deals with over 60 companies, 11 of which are media and journalism related. Not once have I heard of any of them turning someone away because they went to X University. Take your time with your choice because you have to spend at least 3 years there and if i were you I would be prepared to change your mind on your career. Once you have been exposed to new ideas at uni you may well change your mind. Good luck.

Personally, I believe London will be better for me as there'll be - definitely - more journalistic opportunities for me.
Original post by kevin6767
Then I think you have your answer :smile: good luck!

well, thanks for your opinions anyway.

And thank you everyone else for your opinions also!
Reply 29

This is the biggest ****ing no-brainer I've seen on TSR. Warwick PPE outclasses kcl IP in every way possible. PPE allows you to major in whatever field you enjoy most, and the choice you get in the Politics department (assuming that's the route you want to go) in terms of modules is much better than the alternative. Also, addressing your interests further, Warwick has a strong Model United Nations society and they seem to do a lot, and have had careers fairs devoted to journalism. Plus, doing some Economics and quant courses can only boost your employability, and is surely useful for a career in journalism

With regards to location, if you really want London that's fine, but don't think that because you are in London, and supposedly closer to journalism opportunities, that you will be able to drop by for coffee at The Economist, or whatever, whenever you please. The London advantage is the biggest myth on the TSR university forums
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Focus08

, but don't think that because you are in London, and supposedly closer to journalism opportunities, that you will be able to drop by for coffee at The Economist, or whatever, whenever you please. The London advantage is the biggest myth on the TSR university forums

so true. People seem to think that they will casually bump into a VP from Goldman Sachs on the way to lectures.
Original post by Focus08
This is the biggest ****ing no-brainer I've seen on TSR. Warwick PPE outclasses kcl IP in every way possible. PPE allows you to major in whatever field you enjoy most, and the choice you get in the Politics department (assuming that's the route you want to go) in terms of modules is much better than the alternative. Also, addressing your interests further, Warwick has a strong Model United Nations society and they seem to do a lot, and have had careers fairs devoted to journalism. Plus, doing some Economics and quant courses can only boost your employability, and is surely useful for a career in journalism

With regards to location, if you really want London that's fine, but don't think that because you are in London, and supposedly closer to journalism opportunities, that you will be able to drop by for coffee at The Economist, or whatever, whenever you please. The London advantage is the biggest myth on the TSR university forums

Thank you for your opinions. But I'm almost settled for King's.
Reply 32
Original post by Focus08

Spoken like a true expert. Really these are both fantastic institutions. You just have to work out which degree suits you the best. A nice problem to have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending