The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get jobs abroad? Don't want to stay in this **** country anymore!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferdowsi
Well it is better than an awful lot in Europe and the United States actually - try finding work in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, France and so on. Our unemployment rate is the same as, erm, Sweden and we have some of the highest wages in the world. My sister has walked straight into a well paid job after her degree in chemical engineering - what is your degree in?

What mythical country is going to give you your super awesome job then?

Like i said, just becuase other countries are worse, doesn't make this country good.
And no, i don't even care about money, i want a job helping people in the chairty sector and doing something worthwhile and i really enjoy.
Failing that, i'd take a job doing anything even remotely related to my degree, and all i expect is enough money to live a reasonable life.

Too much?
Reply 21
Original post by Sugar.And.Spice
Like i said, just becuase other countries are worse, doesn't make this country good.
And no, i don't even care about money, i want a job helping people in the chairty sector and doing something worthwhile and i really enjoy.
Failing that, i'd take a job doing anything even remotely related to my degree, and all i expect is enough money to live a reasonable life.

Too much?

Well no not really, what have you been doing to make yourself stand out and so on?

Too many people do a generic degree and do nothing at university other than get drunk, take loads of facebook pictures and then get a 2.1 and expect a high flying job. My dad works as an economist in a bank, and he gets applications from all over the world for jobs, a lot of the foreign students have done absolutely loads of legwork - internships, audits and so on. I don't know your position, but too many people in this country are really soft and pampered, and expect everything on a plate and then groan and threaten to move to utopia like you are doing when everything doesn't just fall into place.
Well it is better than an awful lot in Europe and the United States actually - try finding work in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, France and so on. Our unemployment rate is the same as, erm, Sweden and we have some of the highest wages in the world. My sister has walked straight into a well paid job after her degree in chemical engineering - what is your degree in?

What mythical country is going to give you your super awesome job then?

+111111111111111111111111111111

You´re right!. I´m degree and master degree in computer science -an engineering- , and, in this moment I can´t apply to any job cause there´s no job!. So, i´m trying to get a better handling of this language -english- while i´m going seeking for a job/scholarship/intership... whatever!.

And, it´s true that Uk has some of the highest wages in the world. Totally i agree. For example, here in Spain the medium wage is about 600 €/month :eek:

True, i don't really want to be a teacher, but beggers can't be choosers!
The weather here is pretty bad, but i think that's not a good enough reason not to come here

The weather in Uk, Ireland all the north countries is bad.
Unless you have one of the so called super degrees (I invented the term) or an Oxbridge degree (all 2:1 or above of course) then there won't be any jobs for you abroad either.
Well no not really, what have you been doing to make yourself stand out and so on?

Too many people do a generic degree and do nothing at ...

That´s the question!. Too many people get enrole to universities to get only a title.
Reply 25
Original post by Denzel Hayes
+111111111111111111111111111111

You´re right!. I´m degree and master degree in computer science -an engineering- , and, in this moment I can´t apply to any job cause there´s no job!. So, i´m trying to get a better handling of this language -english- while i´m going seeking for a job/scholarship/intership... whatever!.

And, it´s true that Uk has some of the highest wages in the world. Totally i agree. For example, here in Spain the medium wage is about 600 €/month :eek:

Yeah, there are a lot of jobs in IT in the UK I believe - London, Edinburgh, Cambridge and so on.

And yeah, I have family who live in France and everything is really bad over there as well :frown:
i doubt itd make much difference most countries have the same problems we do at the moment and the ones that dont generally speaking have bitchy immigration policies such as canada, northern europe, australasia etc. so unless youre a dual national or an expert in a particular field your chances arent much better than in england.
that being said there are a few programmes in china and the like where you get paid to teach english to the locals but they pay piss all anyway

Too many people do a generic degree and do nothing at university other than get drunk, take loads of facebook pictures and then get a 2.1 and expect a high flying job. My dad works as an economist in a bank, and he gets applications from all over the world for jobs, a lot of the foreign students have done absolutely loads of legwork - internships, audits and so on. I don't know your position, but too many people in this country are really soft and pampered, and expect everything on a plate and then groan and threaten to move to utopia like you are doing when everything doesn't just fall into place.

I'm expecting a 1st in my degree, i've done a work placement in the charity sector as part of my degree, and continued volunteering after i finished, as well as doing other voluntary work. I also plan (if i have the time) to volunteer again this summer.
I would do a masters but i can't afford it.

I know i have to work to get a job, but the problem is, no matter how hard you work and what you do to make yourself employable, it's still near impossible to find a half decent job in the public sector these days.
Reply 28
I'm expecting a 1st in my degree, i've done a work placement in the charity sector as part of my degree, and continued volunteering after i finished, as well as doing other voluntary work. I also plan (if i have the time) to volunteer again this summer.
I would do a masters but i can't afford it.

I know i have to work to get a job, but the problem is, no matter how hard you work and what you do to make yourself employable, it's still near impossible to find a half decent job in the public sector these days.

Where are you planning to relocate to? And what specific job are you after?
Yeah, there are a lot of jobs in IT in the UK I believe - London, Edinburgh, Cambridge and so on.

And yeah, I have family who live in France and everything is really bad over there as well :frown:

I know. Uk is a great country for work in IT, but in this moment, one of my problems is the language and the experience. I mean, if you have 3 years of experience in Java, you can get a good job in London although you don´t be fluent in english. I don´t know if i explain myself.
So basically it's not looking good anywhere :rolleyes:

Well, see you all at the Job centre in a few months :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by Denzel Hayes
I know. Uk is a great country for work in IT, but in this moment, one of my problems is the language and the experience. I mean, if you have 3 years of experience in Java, you can get a good job in London although you don´t be fluent in english. I don´t know if i explain myself.

Your English is good, just give it a bit more practice and you should be fine!
Where are you planning to relocate to? And what specific job are you after?

Anywhere, and mostly anything..

I would like a job relating to my degree such as refugee/asylum seeker jobs/poverty/homelessness/domestic violence/crime prevention...Bascially anything like that, my degree is pretty broad so things relating to this would be great.
I'm not picky, i just thought it might be better to get some sort of job abroad but by the sounds of it, it's worse than here so am screwed either way :tongue:
Reply 33
Original post by calumsteele1
i doubt itd make much difference most countries have the same problems we do at the moment and the ones that dont generally speaking have bitchy immigration policies such as canada, northern europe, australasia etc. so unless youre a dual national or an expert in a particular field your chances arent much better than in england.
that being said there are a few programmes in china and the like where you get paid to teach english to the locals but they pay piss all anyway

Surely not?
Reply 34

I would like a job relating to my degree such as refugee/asylum seeker jobs/poverty/homelessness/domestic violence/crime prevention...Bascially anything like that, my degree is pretty broad so things relating to this would be great.
I'm not picky, i just thought it might be better to get some sort of job abroad but by the sounds of it, it's worse than here so am screwed either way :tongue:

Yeah but where? You speak only English right?

So?

Ireland - much much worse than here
USA - worse than here and public sector in America is really small and very strict immigration policies
Australia - strict immigration policies
Canada - strict immigration policies
New Zealand - strict immigration policies

I don't see how your problems would be solved by leaving, sorry :frown:
Reply 35

Since you are only fluent in English - these are countries where you would be able to find some sort of reasonable graduate-level work with only fluency in English and no other language:

*The Netherlands
*Belgium
*Norway
*Sweden
*Switzerland
*Iceland
*India
*Pakistan
*Bangladesh
*Cyprus
*Ireland
*Qatar
*UAE
*Australia
*New Zealand
*Guyana
*Kenya
*Nigeria
*South Africa
*Luxembourg
*The USA
*Sri Lanka
*Canada
*Jamaica

Out of those - (assuming you are a UK national), I think most will have quite restrictive immigration policies that apply to you apart from the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Sweden, Cyprus and Iceland.
Your English is good, just give it a bit more practice and you should be fine!

Haha, thanks!. But I need more vocabulary and how you know, an english word doesn´t pronounce it as itself is written. I mean:

- where you see: Monitor. - You listen: Manitooor -or something like this-

So, i need pretty hours of listening, because the base of english teaching in Spain is GRAMMAR and a bit listening -a big mistake!-
Yeah but where? You speak only English right?

So?

Ireland - much much worse than here
USA - worse than here and public sector in America is really small and very strict immigration policies
Australia - strict immigration policies
Canada - strict immigration policies
New Zealand - strict immigration policies

I don't see how your problems would be solved by leaving, sorry :frown:

Yeah, i only speak english.

I think i should just stick to this country now, and take my chances in the job market, hopefully i'll be able to find something, it's just all i ever hear from the newspapers/teachers/people i know who's graduated is that there's literally no jobs anywhere :s-smilie:
I'm in my 3rd year at university, hopefully graduating with a 1st class degree in the social sciences.
I've been looking/applying for jobs for awhile now and have come to the sad realisation and acceptance that this country has been totally ruined and is no longer worth living in.
All i hear is how no one, with any degree (exclud. business/law/medicine etc.) has been able to find any employment anywhere in this crappy country.

So my question is, how hard is it to get a job abroad?
I don't care where, i'll go anywhere but i was thinking it will be harder for me since most employers wants people who speak different language/or teaches english which i have no experience in.
Would it be possible for me to find a job in another country, or should i give up completly and join the thousands of unemployed graduates this summer?

Forget Hong Kong, it's impossible to get in. With a flat rate tax of 15%, everyone wants to go there!
Reply 39
Yeah, i only speak english.

I think i should just stick to this country now, and take my chances in the job market, hopefully i'll be able to find something, it's just all i ever hear from the newspapers/teachers/people i know who's graduated is that there's literally no jobs anywhere :s-smilie:

It is the same across most of the west - with some exceptions like Germany.

The countries creating huge amounts of jobs are Brazil and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending