The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

peachmelba
. Cambridge score GCSE results for A & A* then adjust for your school's performance:
Chapter & verse is given in the admissions handbook

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_5.html

Good luck

What does this mean exactly??? I attend an extremely poor comprehensive school (19% pass 5 or more GCSE's) and am predicted 4a*, 4a and a b. These results (if I got them) seem pretty average for a nationwide level, yet are astonishing considering the school. Does this mean that Cambridge would take this into consideration when looking at GCSE grades?
sarahjane48
What does this mean exactly??? I attend an extremely poor comprehensive school (19% pass 5 or more GCSE's) and am predicted 4a*, 4a and a b. These results (if I got them) seem pretty average for a nationwide level, yet are astonishing considering the school. Does this mean that Cambridge would take this into consideration when looking at GCSE grades?

simple answer, yes.
maze.e
I was thinking of applying to oxbridge after reading this post, it has made me re-think about applying.

Do it!!! If they have a course you'd like to study and you're on track for 3 As at A-level, you really have nothing to lose except 1 choice out of 6 on your UCAS form, and if you don't try, you may always regret it and wonder what would have happened.
sarahjane48

Definitely. They have a points system where you get 1 for each A* and 0.6 for each A, so yours would be 6.4 if you got your predictions, but then you can get points added on if you go to a bad school and 19% is appalling!! My year had 46% and my grades aren't as good as your predictions.
kellywood_5
Do it!!! If they have a course you'd like to study and you're on track for 3 As at A-level, you really have nothing to lose except 1 choice out of 6 on your UCAS form, and if you don't try, you may always regret it and wonder what would have happened.

Dont worry i will now.
maze.e
Dont worry i will now.

Good :smile:
Reply 86
kellywood_5
Good :smile:

Heh. :p: You're very nice and encouraging. Which is also good. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford for law and they do seem to be rather accomodating (both Ox and Cam). I reckon there are so many misconceptions about snobbishness etc.
zhivago
Heh. :p: You're very nice and encouraging. Which is also good. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford for law and they do seem to be rather accomodating (both Ox and Cam). I reckon there are so many misconceptions about snobbishness etc.

Well, I probably wouldn't have bothered applying to Cambridge without people on TSR encouraging me because with my grades and school background, I didn't think I stood a chance, so I'm just carrying on the trend :smile: Definitely, there are so many rumours about the grades, extra-curriculars, social position etc you need to get in, most of which are complete rubbish, and that everyone at Oxbridge is an arrogant snob, which is the complete opposite of what I experienced when I went for open day and interviews.
Reply 88
Hiya!

I would go for it. I dont think GCSes are the major factor in whether or not you get in. I got 9A*s and 3As and got rejected from Oxford and someone at my college got 11A*s and got rejected but I know other people who have similar results to you and have been accepted. It all depends on who is interviewing you and whether you've got what they're looking for. Just go for it. There's no harm in trying.

Good luck!!!!
Reply 89
A friend of mine just graduated from Cambridge and he got in with 2 A*s, 3 As and a bunch of other grades, but 4 As at AS, and 3 As and a C at A2. He was doing Computer Science.
Reply 90
what's the average cambridge admission score if you want to study economics and marketing or something like that and what are the chances of getting into oxbridge if you dontget any a*'s but do get a lot of a's??
Reply 91
... there's no economics and marketing at cambridge... it's Economics although you can do your final year in management...
i dont think there are stats about the average GCSE grades for each degree... but overall it's 6A*s.

I personally would not say that getting As instead of A*s would be a major factor... although getting A*s in Maths and Economics would help obviously...
I dont think the "chances" of getting in would vary considerelly (sp?)
Platocrates
I think Oxbridge like things like that because it shows you have actively been trying to improve since school.

yea i think that aswell and a cambridge representative told me that also. Thats why i want to apply but my teachers are saying "Don't bother, they wont touch me" :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending