The Student Room Group

Self-teaching an A level alongside your degree.

Hello, due to certain circumstances I shall be teaching myself A level economics alongside my degree (well the first year at least) I will be starting at uni in september and will have taught myself the whole AS edexcel specification by then, (I've already had a look at the content, the exam technique and I have a friend at cambridge doing an economics degree who will help me with anything I get stuck on :smile: ) I will be sitting both AS modules in January and both A2 modules in June just so you know.

I was just wondering has anyone had any experience of self-teaching an A level while doing their degree and how did you find it?

needless to say I am prepared to put in all the work and not let it affect my performance in my chosen degree subject, hence teaching myself the AS over the summer :smile:

thank you in advance for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Why do you want to learn A Level Econ while doing a degree?
Reply 2
Original post by Monkeysuit.
Hello, due to certain circumstances I shall be teaching myself A level economics alongside my degree (well the first year at least) I will be starting at uni in september and will have taught myself the whole AS edexcel specification by then, (I've already had a look at the content, the exam technique and I have a friend at cambridge doing an economics degree who will help me with anything I get stuck on :smile: ) I will be sitting both AS modules in January and both A2 modules in June just so you know.

I was just wondering has anyone had any experience of self-teaching an A level while doing their degree and how did you find it?

needless to say I am prepared to put in all the work and not let it affect my performance in my chosen degree subject, hence teaching myself the AS over the summer :smile:

thank you in advance for any help :smile:

Go for it!

It's easy enough to do if you're spending an hour or more a day. I'd recommend getting the big-daddy of Economics textbooks by Mankiw and Taylor, it's the most friendly, engaging and easy-to-understand Economics textbook there is for GCSE/A-level + some Degree level.

If you're doing it over summer, dude, you can finish the whole A-level in 1 month with 3-6 hours of studying a day -- 2 months if you're taking it easy.

Also, watch all the videos on Khan Academy detailing micro + macro economics:
http://www.khanacademy.org/#microeconomics
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you very much :smile:
I'll have a look at those text books and website,

thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Can I ask why? The reason I ask is I'm trying to switch to Economics next year and wondering if it's something you think you should do or just want to do. If I got on I planned to read books such as economics for dummies and other up to date books as well as A level maths.

And yes, it is definitely possible but again, I'm confused why as you're studying degree level economics!
Original post by boo28
Go for it!

It's easy enough to do if you're spending an hour or more a day. I'd recommend getting the big-daddy of Economics textbooks by Mankiw and Taylor, it's the most friendly, engaging and easy-to-understand Economics textbook there is for GCSE/A-level + some Degree level.

If you're doing it over summer, dude, you can finish the whole A-level in 1 month with 3-6 hours of studying a day -- 2 months if you're taking it easy.

Also, watch all the videos on Khan Academy detailing micro + macro economics:
http://www.khanacademy.org/#microeconomics

awesome ive been looking to learn a thing or two about economics myself had no idea khan academy also did economics tutorials!
Reply 6
I'm doing it just for fun and to replace one of my A Levels - drama - with. I'm doing a biology degree, regret not taking economics a level and after speaking to a trainee solicitor at Allen and Ovary (law is my long term ambition, via the conversion route as I still want to do a degree in biology) who advised me that there is no way I'd secure a training contract with drama being one of my three a levels, so for me it makes sense to take economics to add to my other a levels - history and biology in order to give me three a levels from the 'band 1' they deem acceptable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending