The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Also, you receive titles for youre coursework or you write about what you want?
Reply 2
Eh... I assume you are foreign. I can't explain at the moment - in a rush!
Reply 3
Yep, I am a foreign. And I'll happily wait for an explanation :smile:
When i saw the title of the thread, i thought "oh. my. god"

lol but it's understandable since your foreign!

coursework is basically a piece of work you have to do (i.e. an essay) under a given title. you can refer to anything - the internet, any books, anything like that. the length of it depends really (from board to board) but you should be told the length of it beforehand anyway.
Reply 5
"what is life, but a bit of coursework?"
Reply 6
Coursework is basically a piece of work, that is not an exam but will count towards your final grade. You do them during the year, as opposed to a terminal exam at the end of a course. For most arts subjects, it tends to be an essay; for sciences it's a writeup for an investigation (and there are other types, which differs from subject to subject and from board to board). For some subjects, you can substitute the coursework component with an extra exam paper (History, for example).

Usually, coursework has to be something under a certain criteria that the exam board had set. Then (I think) it's up to the individual school & teachers for the specific titles, due dates, length, etc. Your teacher marks it, then it gets sent off to the exam board to be moderated (to see if your teacher marked it too harshly/leniently). Sometimes, some schools have internal moderation between different teachers as well.

If you're an external candidate, I'm not sure if you can do coursework - you might have to do an extra paper. If you are allowed to, you'd probably get it marked by a tutor or an external moderator...

Personally, I prefer coursework to exams, because I have time to think about it (in exams, I do tend to run out of time or panic because I can't think through it in enough depth). You can use any resource you can find, although technically you're meant to have a bibliography in the end.
Reply 7
Excalibur
Personally, I prefer coursework to exams, because I have time to think about it (in exams, I do tend to run out of time or panic because I can't think through it in enough depth). You can use any resource you can find, although technically you're meant to have a bibliography in the end.

I'd also prefer coursework (for the same reasons), but unfortunately we can do it only once in a single subject in year 12. :frown: Why didn't my parents send me to a boarding school in the UK?
Reply 8
work assigned to students: work that is assigned to students as part of an educational course and counts towards the assessment given for the course
Reply 9
Well, thats illuminating :smile: Thanks. I am an external candidate so I hope I will be allowed to do coursework because I'm not thrilled vith the other variant(Languages)

Latest