The Student Room Group

BTEC grades

Hi, so I’m studying Pearson BTEC Level 3, Children’s Play Learning and Development as an A-level. This subject is both coursework and exam based and I am currently sitting on a distinction in the coursework but not feeling very hopeful for the exam I have just sat. What grade overall am I likely to get with a distinction in coursework and a pass in exam?
Original post by ED.631
Hi, so I’m studying Pearson BTEC Level 3, Children’s Play Learning and Development as an A-level. This subject is both coursework and exam based and I am currently sitting on a distinction in the coursework but not feeling very hopeful for the exam I have just sat. What grade overall am I likely to get with a distinction in coursework and a pass in exam?

Is this the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning and Development? When you say you're "sitting on a distinction in the coursework", does that mean you achieved a Distinction in each of the two course work units?

The coursework units are each 60 GLH (guided learning hours), so a Distinction is worth 16 unit points; that's 32 points for the two coursework units. For examined units you get different points based on whether you just scraped a Pass or whether you were just short of a Merit (and anything in between). So each of the two examined units could earn you anything between 12 and 19 unit points.

Your points total is therefore anything between 32+12+12 (i.e. 56) and 32+19+19 (i.e. 70). In terms of an overall grade, both of those would be a Merit.
Reply 2
Thanks for getting back to me. I am currently sitting on distinctions in coursework for both units and received a high pass in last year’s exam. However, in this year’s exam I ran out of time and felt I didn’t complete it to the best of my ability which is why I feel I will only receive a pass or a high pass again. Therefore, I am trying to estimate my overall grade as I need at least a Merit (C) to get into my first choice university.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Is this the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Children’s Play, Learning and Development? When you say you're "sitting on a distinction in the coursework", does that mean you achieved a Distinction in each of the two course work units?

The coursework units are each 60 GLH (guided learning hours), so a Distinction is worth 16 unit points; that's 32 points for the two coursework units. For examined units you get different points based on whether you just scraped a Pass or whether you were just short of a Merit (and anything in between). So each of the two examined units could earn you anything between 12 and 19 unit points.

Your points total is therefore anything between 32+12+12 (i.e. 56) and 32+19+19 (i.e. 70). In terms of an overall grade, both of those would be a Merit.

I am doing the Pearson BTEC ‘Level 3 Nationals Extended Certificate, Foundation Diploma, Diploma, Extended Diploma’
Original post by ED.631
Thanks for getting back to me. I am currently sitting on distinctions in coursework for both units and received a high pass in last year’s exam. However, in this year’s exam I ran out of time and felt I didn’t complete it to the best of my ability which is why I feel I will only receive a pass or a high pass again. Therefore, I am trying to estimate my overall grade as I need at least a Merit (C) to get into my first choice university.

Understood. As long as you get a Pass in this last exam, then you'll get a Merit overall. You might even scrape a Merit overall if this exam turns out to be a Near Pass.
Original post by ED.631
I am doing the Pearson BTEC ‘Level 3 Nationals Extended Certificate, Foundation Diploma, Diploma, Extended Diploma’

Those are actually four separate qualifications. :smile:

Don't worry - the fact that you've confirmed that you're doing 4 units (two with exams and two with coursework) confirms that it's the Extended Certificate.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. As long as you get a Pass in this last exam, then you'll get a Merit overall. You might even scrape a Merit overall if this exam turns out to be a Near Pass.

Thanks so much, you’ve been great help!
Original post by ED.631
Ah I see, sorry for asking again but just to confirm does that mean i would still have the chance to achieve a merit then? :smile:

It does. A Merit overall is absolutely the most likely outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending