The Student Room Group

Art for gcse

Im thinking of doing fashion and textiles for gcse but some people say that it is very hard and takes up a lot of time. Does anyone have fashion and textiles and is it worth taking it?
im no expert on art but if you truly enjoy it go ahead.

but be advised that art is a very coursework heavy subject (basically all of my friends doing art complain about it in school) and you should read the specification from the exam board to make sure it's something that you'll enjoy.

if you cant handle all the coursework then maybe its best to choose another subject but if you think you can balance the coursework along with regular revision for other core subjects and if you enjoy art then go ahead :3
Original post by living_angle
Im thinking of doing fashion and textiles for gcse but some people say that it is very hard and takes up a lot of time. Does anyone have fashion and textiles and is it worth taking it?

@elaina the witch gave you good advice, so I'll just expand on them more.
I'd highly recommend you do research into the course (how much coursework; what you will learn; what each examination will test you on; any equipment you need to supply yourself with for lessons) - it will also help a lot to look into the exam board which runs the subject too + if you want, you could talk to any teachers who run the department in your school to see if they can give you any advice.

In my school, for fashion + textiles, the coursework is done in lessons - it's good as it's less time consuming at home, however if someone would be absent for any lesson, they'd always have to catch up in their own free time. It's worth checking how the coursework is carried out at your school, so you'd know if you would be able to dedicate your time into that.

If you feel you'd be able to enjoy the course, whether it's for fashion + textiles or art, then by all means take it, because sometimes it may give you some enjoyment you don't get in other lessons or it will allow you to be creative in different ways. However, definitely find out more about how the course runs in your school and see if it would be something you think you would have fun in and willingly dedicate your time and effort into.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest