The Student Room Group

SG English Overall Grading - Help

In SG english, if the weighted mean of all the work (including final exam results) averages at 1.5 what would be the overall grade?

Folio - 1 (in all pieces), talking - 1, close reading exam - 2, writing exam - 3
With those marks my average would be 1.5, so is it rounded up or down?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, that would only get you a grade 2. I got these exact marks in my SG in 2010 and got a 2.
Reply 2
Original post by ..lauren
No, that would only get you a grade 2. I got these exact marks in my SG in 2010 and got a 2.

But if:

Writing exam (3) + Personal Essays (1+1) = 5 / 3 = 2
Talk = 1
Close reading ( 2 ) + Critical Essay ( 1 + 1 + 1) = 5 /4 = 1

2 + 1 + 1 = 4

4 / 3 = Grade 1

P.S: Please correct me if im wrong, this was the method our English teacher taught us.
Reply 3
Oh, this is quite a different way from what I was meaning.

I got, quite simply:
Writing, 3
Close Reading, 2
Talk, 1

Which was an overall 2.
Reply 4
Original post by JackE5
But if:

Writing exam (3) + Personal Essays (1+1) = 5 / 3 = 2
Talk = 1
Close reading ( 2 ) + Critical Essay ( 1 + 1 + 1) = 5 /4 = 1

2 + 1 + 1 = 4

4 / 3 = Grade 1

P.S: Please correct me if im wrong, this was the method our English teacher taught us.

What critical essays are there in Standard Grade? Am I missing something?
Reply 5
Original post by auberjean
What critical essays are there in Standard Grade? Am I missing something?

I'll name a few:

Macbeth

Dulce ...

Diggin'

On the sidewalk bleeding

Brooklyn Cop

Lamb to the slaughter

Original post by AtomSmasher
In SG english, if the weighted mean of all the work (including final exam results) averages at 1.5 what would be the overall grade?

Folio - 1 (in all pieces), talking - 1, close reading exam - 2, writing exam - 3
With those marks my average would be 1.5, so is it rounded up or down?

Pretty sure that would be a 2 overall. Your average is 1.75, if it was 1.5 the SQA determine that it would be rounded down.

Is there double weighting though in SG English ?, thought it was only languages that applied double weighting to their overall grades.
Original post by JackE5
I'll name a few:

Macbeth

Dulce ...

Diggin'

On the sidewalk bleeding

Brooklyn Cop

Lamb to the slaughter

You are not assessed on these though seperately. It's counted as part of your folio. There is no critical essay paper in SG.
Reply 8
Original post by S119234
You are not assessed on these though seperately. It's counted as part of your folio. There is no critical essay paper in SG.

When he's mentioning critical essay he's talking about that part of his folio, i think :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by S119234

I was talking about how these types of essays in your folio are added to your close reading mark.. :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by S119234
Pretty sure that would be a 2 overall. Your average is 1.75, if it was 1.5 the SQA determine that it would be rounded down.

Is there double weighting though in SG English ?, thought it was only languages that applied double weighting to their overall grades.

Did you just add those together and found an average? :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by JackE5
I was talking about how these types of essays in your folio are added to your close reading mark.. :colondollar:

Ah that makes sense! :biggrin: Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by S119234

No. The average would definitely be 1.5. Each grade is weighted like this:

Folio - 2/6 { critical essays = 1/6, writing = 1/6
Talk - 2/6
Final exam - 2/6 { writing = 1/6, reading = 1/6

I can't be bothered typing out the calculations, but I'm absolutely sure it would be 1.5.
Reply 13
This thread just caused me to realise I did Standard Grade English 8 years ago. Thanks for making me feel old.
Reply 14
Original post by nerd434
You have a very strong foundation going into the exam. You should really practice Past Papers over and over again so you can get Grade 1's/2's in your actual exam. Why are you so certain your folio is all Grade 1 pieces?

My Talking = 1, Folio = 2's with possibly some 1's and I'm hoping to get Grade 1's in the Writing and Reading paper.

When you say it like that it makes me sound cocky, but my teacher said they were all high 1s and I spent hours editing them so that's just what I'd expect. I can't be too happy though, I'll fall completely short in the writing exam because I take so damn long to write anything. You can never really tell with the reading, but if I estimate a 2 then there's less chance of being disappointed.

Good luck to you, less than 3 weeks until the exam.
Reply 15
Original post by Norton1
This thread just caused me to realise I did Standard Grade English 8 years ago. Thanks for making me feel old.

Soon you'll be among the people complaining that "exams are all getting easier"! :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by AtomSmasher
Soon you'll be among the people complaining that "exams are all getting easier"! :tongue:

I was among those people when I did Standard Grade. Look at papers from the mid nineties (if such a thing is even available any more) Hard as nails.
Reading, writing and talking are equally weighted. Reading comprises three critical essays in your folio and the final close reading paper. Writing is assessed through two pieces in your folio and the final writing paper. For each of reading and writing, the folio and final exam have equal weighting. Calculating overall grades for folio elements uses LUTs for sums of individual grades. Talk is internally assessed. Discussion and individual talk are nominally equally weighted, but things seem a bit fuzzier here.

Writing, folio: 1
Writing, exam: 3
Reading, folio: 1
Reading, exam: 2
Talk: 1

Overall grade: 1/6 + 3/6 + 1/6 + 2/6 + 2/6 = 1.5

Nowhere in the arrangements or marking instructions is direction of rounding specified. Having said that, if we take the folio aggregate grade LUTs as a crib, it looks like the usual rounding rules apply: note that a 1, 2 in the folio writing results in an overall 2 whilst a 1, 1, 2 in folio reading results in an overall 1 but a 1, 2, 2 in folio reading also results in an overall 2. If you want a 1 for your Standard Grade English, I think you want to bump your exam performance up a grade.
Reply 18
Original post by nerd434
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across arrogant. I'm just saying, you are in a very strong situation going into the exam. Practicing Writing papers under timed conditions can really help.

You seem to know exactly how the overall grade is calculated. My Talking = 1, Folio = 2, If I were to get Grade 1's in both the papers would that be an overall 1?

You didn't come across as arrogant and, yeah, that would definitely be a 1. With some 1s in your folio you could come out with an overall 1 even if you got a 2 in one of the exam papers. Still, you'd be best try as hard as possible anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Norton1
I was among those people when I did Standard Grade. Look at papers from the mid nineties (if such a thing is even available any more) Hard as nails.

Do you know of any online resources that might have these papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending