The Student Room Group

Uni degree mark - discretionary band

Hi there,
just wondering if someone can answer a question for clarification. I am in my third year at leeds uni, and the way they weight the years is 1:2 so third year obviously counts more. I struggled with my mental health a Lot last year and had some personal problems, ended up getting an overall grade of 59 last year, so just on a 2:1. This year, however, I have worked really hard - in all my modules I have got a comfortable first (72 and above in all but one module which I got 68.5) - and I am guessing my third year overall grade will fall between 67.5-68. I know the discretionary band for the uni to consider bumping me up to a first is 68 - but if, for example, I received 67.7 overall, would they round that up to 68 and then consider for discretionary? Or would you need to get dead on 68 to be considered? I just think getting between 67.5 and 68 is doable for me but not thinking I will get much more, and it will mean the absolute world to me if my hard work would be recognised and I could come out with a first. Any thoughts? I do English lit by the way
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,
just wondering if someone can answer a question for clarification. I am in my third year at leeds uni, and the way they weight the years is 1:2 so third year obviously counts more. I struggled with my mental health a Lot last year and had some personal problems, ended up getting an overall grade of 59 last year, so just on a 2:1. This year, however, I have worked really hard - in all my modules I have got a comfortable first (72 and above in all but one module which I got 68.5) - and I am guessing my third year overall grade will fall between 67.5-68. I know the discretionary band for the uni to consider bumping me up to a first is 68 - but if, for example, I received 67.7 overall, would they round that up to 68 and then consider for discretionary? Or would you need to get dead on 68 to be considered? I just think getting between 67.5 and 68 is doable for me but not thinking I will get much more, and it will mean the absolute world to me if my hard work would be recognised and I could come out with a first. Any thoughts? I do English lit by the way

That detail should be in your course handbook, I don't know but I would imagine not, as it would end up rounding up, then rounding up again which seems unfair.
Reply 2
They won't round up twice, as this artificially inflates marks.
Given that there is already a very generous 2% window for getting a 1st, if you don't hit that, my guess is that you won't be eligible.
Reply 3
Hi there,

Hey! I’m graduating Leeds for English Lit this year too (whooo) and am also in the discretionary band I think. Basically I think if you get 6.85 or above it’s automatically a 1st. If you get 6.80-6.85 then you can be considered to be bumped up. On the business school website it says there’s certain conditions you have to meet such as getting (I think) a first in 60 credits in final year and a few other alternatives. I don’t know if this is the exact same for English too but it offers a guideline to how it might work. I don’t know if this is of any use to you, but i’ve been trying to find stuff about it too and struggling snd that’s the most useful info I’ve found. Hope it can help in some way :smile: see you at graduation!
Reply 4
Hi there,

Hey! I’m graduating Leeds for English Lit this year too (whooo) and am also in the discretionary band I think. Basically I think if you get 6.85 or above it’s automatically a 1st. If you get 6.80-6.85 then you can be considered to be bumped up. On the business school website it says there’s certain conditions you have to meet such as getting (I think) a first in 60 credits in final year and a few other alternatives. I don’t know if this is the exact same for English too but it offers a guideline to how it might work. Basically no I don’t think they’ll round up, people get classifications with the decimal places a lot and i’d it was common practice to round up then we wouldn’t see that. Hope for a 6.80 I guess, I will be too! But a 2:1 is still amazing and at the end of the day, the work we’ve put in doesn’t change based on the grade we get so just be proud of the effort you’ve made. I don’t know if this is of any use to you, but i’ve been trying to find stuff about it too and struggling snd that’s the most useful info I’ve found. Hope it can help in some way :smile: see you at graduation!
Reply 5
Email your school UG office or your academic advisor, quick and easy answers from both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending