The Student Room Group

A-Level maths to study medicine?

I want to study medicine at university, and I have to select my A-Level subjects soon. Originally, I was going to do chemistry, biology, geography, and english lit + lang, but would it make me more appealing to med schools if I did maths instead of english? I would have to drop the maths at AS because there's no way I would be able to get the AAA required at A2 if I did it. Would it be enough to take it to AS? Or is it really needed at A2 too? Wouldn't they rather I got the AAA rather than taking a subject I couldn't realistically get an A in? Or do I not need it at all, because all the universities I look at don't specify it, but it's so competitive the expect it?

Thank you to anyone who answers!
Reply 1
Original post by missemmyb
I want to study medicine at university, and I have to select my A-Level subjects soon. Originally, I was going to do chemistry, biology, geography, and english lit + lang, but would it make me more appealing to med schools if I did maths instead of english?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_Application_Myth_Busting#Subject_and_Grade_Myths

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

All clear? :p:

Do what you think you'll do best in and what you enjoy the most.
(edited 12 years ago)
You do not need Maths! At BSMS, a student did Eng Lit and DT and got in! Another did Fine Art and geography!

Sorry for all the exclamation marks... but hey, SPEAK THE TRUTH! :tongue:
Reply 3
Yeh don't worry, you don't need to do maths if you don't want to.
Reply 4
Do what your doing right now, or what you are planning on doing, as long as you get the good grades and have an amazing P.S + Interview it should be all good

:smile:

Good Luck with your studies.
Do whatever you want! I did English Lit & Psychology.

PRSOM

I did Biol,Chem, Psych and ICT and i'm going to medschool in september.
You don't need maths to get in. Total myth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending