The Student Room Group

A-Level choices

I'm in year 11 and starting sixth form in September, I am unsure about what I am going to do in University but I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics for A-Level.

The problem is I don't have any real interest in Chemistry but i know that i will need it as its a foundation subject for many careers. What other subjects can i do at A-Level instead of chemistry which would keep my options open at University but would also go well with my other A-Levels. I'm considering Economics, help please?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pouryia
x

Economics sounds like a decent shout if you're really not a fan of chemistry. The subjects complement each other really well. Another subject that I would suggest that you consider is further maths, if you're that kind of person. Both economics and FM work well side-by-side with maths, and maths helps a bit with physics. Biology looks like it's on its own, but if you were to apply for a biology degree, the maths might be handy because there can be a decent amount of statistics there.

You could always take all five subjects you've mentioned, and drop chemistry or economics if you decide you don't like them. I started off with maths, physics, chemistry, biology and RS, and replaced RS with French before I'd even had one lesson. Then, I dropped French completely, with biology following soon after. After the January exams I decided to self-teach further maths, and after completing the AS in all four, I dropped chemistry. I guess what I'm trying to say here is: don't worry too much about choosing the wrong subjects - you can always drop ones you don't like and catch up with one you've decided you'd like to take.
Since you're planning doing all maths and science subjects at the minute, why not do an essay subject like history or English to add a bit of variation? Or a foreign language - no matter what you want to do career wise or at uni, a language is always a huge pro.
Reply 3
Economics would be a good shout as it would compliment the other subjects very nicely and give you a more broad subject base - having three sciences and maths is great if you know you definately want to do something in those areas, but if you're still unsure it is best to throw in something slightly different to open more doors for you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Economics sounds like a decent shout if you're really not a fan of chemistry. The subjects complement each other really well. Another subject that I would suggest that you consider is further maths, if you're that kind of person. Both economics and FM work well side-by-side with maths, and maths helps a bit with physics. Biology looks like it's on its own, but if you were to apply for a biology degree, the maths might be handy because there can be a decent amount of statistics there.

You could always take all five subjects you've mentioned, and drop chemistry or economics if you decide you don't like them. I started off with maths, physics, chemistry, biology and RS, and replaced RS with French before I'd even had one lesson. Then, I dropped French completely, with biology following soon after. After the January exams I decided to self-teach further maths, and after completing the AS in all four, I dropped chemistry. I guess what I'm trying to say here is: don't worry too much about choosing the wrong subjects - you can always drop ones you don't like and catch up with one you've decided you'd like to take.

Yeah thanks, will ask if I can take 5 A-Levels! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AfterTheStorm.
Since you're planning doing all maths and science subjects at the minute, why not do an essay subject like history or English to add a bit of variation? Or a foreign language - no matter what you want to do career wise or at uni, a language is always a huge pro.

I'm doing French at the moment for GCSE and cant cope so no chance at A-level! :mad:
Original post by pouryia
I'm doing French at the moment for GCSE and cant cope so no chance at A-level! :mad:

Fair enough, I do French A level and the workload my teacher piles on us is horrific, it's definitely not a subject I'd advise unless you're pretty confident.
Reply 7
Have you thought about doing further maths? It's a huge help with physics. If you really love maths and physics, further maths is perfect. However, the problem is it's pretty intensive and you should only do this combination if you are obsessed with maths. So really, the fourth subject you pick isn't that important. Chemistry is a good A level, but if you don't like it now, it's unlikely you'll change your mind.
Reply 8
I decided to change Chemistry to Economics! thanks for everyone's help!

Quick Reply

Latest