The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree and go into Business

I am very interested in technology and have written some App's for Apple's iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. With this interest I would like to go on to study Computer Science at degree. After that the plan is to set up my own business and go from there.

Would studying a Computer Science with Embedded Systems be a suitable degree to give me the knowledge to go set up a technology company?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by JASApplications
I am very interested in technology and have written some App's for Apple's iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. With this interest I would like to go on to study Computer Science at degree. After that the plan is to set up my own business and go from there.

Would studying a Computer Science with Embedded Systems be a suitable degree to give me the knowledge to go set up a technology company?

Thanks

It'll make you a much better programmer, especially for devices, but the degree won't help you directly. If you happen across the right field of research or meet the right people during your time, you'll be all the more likely to have something to offer as a startup. If you're only interested in apps, there's enough resources online and programming itself isn't really something you learn in a degree.

Incidentally, York used to run CS with Business Enterprise Systems which had team projects developing apps, but I don't think it's offered any more. The resources and material is probably still around, though.
Original post by mailmerge
It'll make you a much better programmer, especially for devices, but the degree won't help you directly. If you happen across the right field of research or meet the right people during your time, you'll be all the more likely to have something to offer as a startup. If you're only interested in apps, there's enough resources online and programming itself isn't really something you learn in a degree.

Incidentally, York used to run CS with Business Enterprise Systems which had team projects developing apps, but I don't think it's offered any more. The resources and material is probably still around, though.

Thanks for your reply. Although I'm definitely interested in Software, I'm probably more interested in making a hardware product which is why I'm thinking CS with Embedded Systems.
Reply 3
Original post by JASApplications
Thanks for your reply. Although I'm definitely interested in Software, I'm probably more interested in making a hardware product which is why I'm thinking CS with Embedded Systems.

I think so much goes into design these days that it's hard to make a product immediately after graduating with any degree. Still, CS with Embedded Systems is probably a good fit for you -- I think it'll put you on the right track. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending