The Student Room Group

Should I drop business for economics?

I have a year left to do A level economics, even though I have done AS business for two years already. I feel that a lot of opinion towards which subject to choose points towards economics being seen more valuable as a more academic subject. Therefore I am considering taking up economics as my third subject with A level Mathematics and Computer Science. I am also hoping to major in computer sceince in university and yes I should have not dropped physics as I do regret it now but I only have a year left and not if not time to switch to physics and get a good mark .
Original post by kalmilon
I have a year left to do A level economics, even though I have done AS business for two years already. I feel that a lot of opinion towards which subject to choose points towards economics being seen more valuable as a more academic subject. Therefore I am considering taking up economics as my third subject with A level Mathematics and Computer Science. I am also hoping to major in computer sceince in university and yes I should have not dropped physics as I do regret it now but I only have a year left and not if not time to switch to physics and get a good mark .

If you intend to do computer science for your bachelor's, it's inconsequential whether you do business or economics. The only A Level that really matters is Maths (computer science at A Level doesn't even matter).
The only time where it would make sense to switch is if you can get significantly higher marks in economics than you would in business.

Even if you have a last minute change of heart and decide to do an economics degree, the only A Level you would really need is Maths. The other 2 are just fillers for grade requirements.
I only know of one university where they might be picky with whether you have done economics as an A Level for an economics degree, but most universities are fine with just maths.

Physics is useful if you intend to do something in engineering (other than bioengineering and chemical engineering for obvious reasons) or physics. It can be possible to see it being used in computer engineering, but if you're going for a straight up computer science degree you won't need physics at all.

If for any random reason you want to do physics, you can look into doing it privately during your gap year. This will cost quite a bit though because of the practical assessment that universities usually ask for.
Original post by kalmilon

Heya!
For CS course, either business or economics works fine ( you don't need either for entry requirements), so stick with the one you enjoy more :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest