The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit Love Through the Ages June 2012 EXAM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm inclined to say go off and do something fun. This is a skills based exam, really, and it's probably too late to develop them now if you haven't got them (and I'm sure you have.) There comes a point where you can work yourself up into such a state that all your hard work is thrown away because you're practically paralysed by anxiety. Take some time out.

Hey, sorry to bother you but as you are a teacher I was just wondering if you could help me with something. My teacher has told me that in order to get a high grade, all my wider reading comparisons have to be 'illuminating'. What exactly does this mean e.g. if I said that this poet uses .... in poem X which has the effect of... This... is a feature of metaphysical poetry as is apparent in the works of other metaphysical poets such as .... in poem X who similarly to ... employs ... for whatever reason. Would that 'illuminating' in that it has further explained my point about context and metaphysical poetry. Or does 'illuminating' just mean uses wider reading in an unexpected way?

Or am I just over-thinking things?
Can anyone please help me out with some parent/child love quotations please? That is my weakest theme in terms of WR... ANY GENRE! I am freaking out a little now... Let's help each other get ready for doomsday! :tongue:
Reply 382
Original post by Levi-JadeTaylor
Can anyone please help me out with some parent/child love quotations please? That is my weakest theme in terms of WR... ANY GENRE! I am freaking out a little now... Let's help each other get ready for doomsday! :tongue:

There's a really good poem called 'Mother, Any distance' I studied for GCSE I'm using. I can't remember the exact quote off the top of my head but if you google it there's some good stuff in that poem. :smile:
Also in Pride and Prejudice there's some good quotes with Mr Bennet telling Elizabeth to marry for love etc.
Original post by Levi-JadeTaylor

Gillian clarke - Catrin
Ben Jonson - on my first sonne
Dh Lawrence - piano

These are all poems

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
This might sound weird, but I honestly don't have all that much for romantic love, could anybody suggest any good poems I could use?
For child/parent love here are two:

Prose - The curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon (2003)
Drama - Cat on a hot tin roof by Tennessee Williams (1955)
Romance poems:

Shakespeare - Sonnet 18 (Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?)
John Donne - The good-morrow
Byron - She walks in beauty
Original post by DontEatMe
This might sound weird, but I honestly don't have all that much for romantic love, could anybody suggest any good poems I could use?

Carpe Diem- Shakespeare
Annabel Lee- Poe? :smile:
If we get drama to drama in section A, can someone provide me with a list of dramatic techniques, so like soliloquy, dramatic irony, hyperbole etc
Reply 389
Thanks so much for those poems, they're really good! :biggrin:

Original post by east midlands
If we get drama to drama in section A, can someone provide me with a list of dramatic techniques, so like soliloquy, dramatic irony, hyperbole etc

I dunno if this is what you're looking for but with stage directions you can also analyse the setting, imagery, why particular language is used etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1677046

This is a really good thread for stuff like that!
In terms of the structure of prose, what types of things do we talk about?
Reply 391
Hey guys, does anyone know how we bring in structure and form into it??
Reply 392
Original post by purplepenguin16
In terms of the structure of prose, what types of things do we talk about?

You can include things like use of punctuation, repetition, the physical appearance of the text e.g. is it lumped together or disjointed?
That sort of thing is what I'm going for..:smile:
Structure of prose I guess would be the journey of the plot; build up in tension and pace until it reaches an ultimate climax (crescendo), shifts in tone and mood, all of this displayed by used of sentence lengths and language used
Original post by DontEatMe
You can include things like use of punctuation, repetition, the physical appearance of the text e.g. is it lumped together or disjointed?
That sort of thing is what I'm going for..:smile:

Original post by east midlands
Structure of prose I guess would be the journey of the plot; build up in tension and pace until it reaches an ultimate climax (crescendo), shifts in tone and mood, all of this displayed by used of sentence lengths and language used

Thank you both! :smile:
Reply 395
Wont be on this thread till after the exam as I don't want to stress myself out about this exam any more. Good luck everyone, and I hope we all get what we want/need from this exam.

p.s. Try not to panic, as hard as that sounds :P
Original post by maheen17
I have an exemplar essay from last year that our teacher showed us, and the person gained full marks for both the essays.

If you want I can show it to you.

Is the exemplar essay the one from June 2010? I think i have that one too...
Reply 397
Original post by lovelydarling
Is the exemplar essay the one from June 2010? I think i have that one too...

Yeah I have the same one too lol.
Romantic Love -

Prose (non fiction)
"Our love is so furious that we burn each other out." - Richard Burton
"I am forever punished by the gods for being given the fire and trying to put it out, the fire, of course, is you." - Richard Burton

Prose (fiction)
"Where would I go? What could I do? In a world that is suddenly without you?" - Cleopatra by Carlo Maria Franzero
"She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita." Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
"For a moment he contemplated her as one who had fallen out of heaven." A Room With A View by E M Forster
"For so long now, you have filled my life. Like a great noise I hear everywhere in my heart. I want to be free of you, of wanting you, of being afraid. But I will never be free of you." Cleopatra by Carlo Maria Franzero

Poetry
"I have so much to say to you, but I'm quite dead. What I have to say to you will never be said" - Harold Pinter
"I would love you ten years before the flood, and you should, if you please, refuse til the conversion of the jews" To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell
"I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed and sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane" I Think I Made You Up Inside My Head by Sylvia Plath
"Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips, possessive and faithful, as we are, for as long as we are" Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy
"Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself. Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; for love is sufficient unto love." On Love by Kahlil Gibran

Drama
"You're lovely. I'm crazy about you. All these words I'm using, can't you see, they've never been said before." - Betrayal by Harold Pinter
"It was too rare to be normal; any true thing between two people is too rare to be normal." Brick in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams
"Thy Husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper, thy head, thy sovereign, one that cares for thee" Katherine in Taming Of The Shrew by William Shakespeare
"Courage, darling. That's the one thing all lovers have. Courage. The heart runs on it." The Last Of The Haussmans by Stephen Beresford
"The mind is king, perhaps, but the body is a republic." The Last Of The Haussmans by Stephen Beresford.

Hope these are helpful! I haven't really gone for traditional WR used but I think some of it might be of use! :biggrin:
Reply 399
Original post by Excitedstudentxo
Sorry to but in! If you don't mind could you send me the grid of wider reading too :biggrin:
Thankyou!

PLEASE CAN YOU SEND ME THE WIDER READING GRID TO PLEASE.

I only have poetry

Really need drama and prose quotes!! please

my email: Your email has been removed for privacy reasons - if you wish to exchange contact details, please use the Private Messaging system.

Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending