The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping Arsey has underestimated the amount of people who will drop marks on the histogram one, as I could do with boundaries being a tad lower; think I got about 60-62 which would mean I'm scraping an A.

Then again it's hard to tell, I really can't remember some of my answers. Got a feeling I might have got the final part of 7 wrong, but not too sure. One thing is certain - I NEED to smash C2.
Reply 121
Original post by vc94
You may just lose 1 mark (as a misread!). So 5/6 is still very possible.

I think they will lose 2; the final accuracy marks in c) and d)
Original post by The Assassin
Good exam other than the histogram question which annoyed me >_<

Yhh sme...
For some reason on the last question I thought that because the probability of them becoming faded is independent meant that i had to add those probabilities on afterwards! Would feel so much more relaxed if I'd got those last marks :frown:
how many marks do you think I would lose if i had all the right numbers but just added 0.05 or 0.95 when necessary?
Original post by Mr Tough
mate, are you doing m2 may 31st? Apparently the board recalled the paper and have made it harder because it was too easy and the last few papers have been too easy! i'm gonna get demolished :frown:

and economics, i messed up quite an obvious question today, so easy but had a brain freeze and have missed 3-6 comfortable marks!

the s1 sort of makes up for that though!

I did M2 last year.

How do know they recalled the paper?

Well done at S1 mate!!
Reply 125
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Ah, that's an impressive proof! :wink:
Really unfortunate though, unlucky. I can say goodbye to my Cambridge application if I keep dropping marks like this...
Looking at 95 UMS for this hopefully. I'm off to bed now, night!

Good night. And just before you leave, what's your opinion on this? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37626915&postcount=112

I sure don't want to lose another two marks!
Reply 126
Original post by Kidioteque
I'm hoping Arsey has underestimated the amount of people who will drop marks on the histogram one, as I could do with boundaries being a tad lower; think I got about 60-62 which would mean I'm scraping an A.

Then again it's hard to tell, I really can't remember some of my answers. Got a feeling I might have got the final part of 7 wrong, but not too sure. One thing is certain - I NEED to smash C2.

well it definatley wont go below 60marks im guessing because that very rare. My c1 should cover the s1 mark meaning i have to get an A in c2 basically which is much easier than s1
Original post by Arsey
I think they will lose 2; the final accuracy marks in c) and d)

So I can give myself 4/6 for that in my head? Thanks so much, that's set my mind at ease. I may have dropped a mark somewhere else but 72/75 should be around 95 UMS right?
Reply 128
Original post by Kidioteque

oh I think the histogram question will be appallingly answered and it is a 13 mark question; lots of students will get 0/13

However, the first 4 questions were very easy.
Reply 129
Messed this up. I think I got all the marks except the last part of the Normal distribution and the whole of the histogram question. Calculated it in a weird way. Completely blanked out about the proportional rule until Arsey used it for his model answer.

Why do you have to make everything look so ridiculously easy Arsey, but when it comes to exam time it never is. :frown:

I want to scream at the guy who wrote that histogram question. Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Oh well I had an A for Stats in Jan so I guess they will use that mark.
Reply 130
As I had only 3 days to revise for this, I made stupid mistakes but am hopeful of more than 80UMS. Q1-2 full marks. Q3, didn't draw the regression line as I was rushing and simply read part e as plot the point, but missed that I had to draw the damn line. Q4, hate probability but gutted I forgot the independent formula. Q5 the frequency question was great, Q6 what a stupid error to make for part b, I put the right answer but I was thinking, surely a young girl would be below average height of the adult female population, not above, so used -0.2533 instead, I guess I get no marks for that:angry:. Q7 fine.
Reply 131
ahh please tell me saying the median because it isnt effected by extreme values is correct (I will cry if its not) for 5e
Reply 132
Original post by yaboy
ahh please tell me saying the median because it isnt effected by extreme values is correct (I will cry if its not) for 5e

same, I put that as a hopeful answer as my answers for the mean and median were terrible
Reply 133
Original post by yaboy
well it definatley wont go below 60marks im guessing because that very rare. My c1 should cover the s1 mark meaning i have to get an A in c2 basically which is much easier than s1

the average mark for 80ums in S1 is slightly under 58, so hardly rare. Although, it is fair to say the boundaries have been rising in sessions across the modules.
Reply 134
Original post by yaboy

that is true

however, I am not sure there are any extreme values in the data set, so I would be surprised if that gets you the mark.
Reply 135
I had no idea what to do with the histogram question at first. After thinking about it for a while, I thought about using that method of counting all the boxes. I ended up getting 90 too, but i was so convinced I had done it wrong during the exam. I skipped the rest of that question though, and only got about half of the last 2 questions. And i substituted 17 into the regression line instead of 16. Looks like I'm getting a low B.
Original post by Arsey
oh I think the histogram question will be appallingly answered and it is a 13 mark question; lots of students will get 0/13

However, the first 4 questions were very easy.

If you have some time can you please reply to my post.
Reply 137
Original post by pjanoo
same, I put that as a hopeful answer as my answers for the mean and median were terrible

yeh i never got either right but im hoping for a couple of method marks for doing interpolation and a bunch of crap :biggrin:
Reply 138
Original post by Al04
Yeah i know! :s-smilie: Maybe we'll get 1 mark? haha

aah, I hope so! I've got a terrible feeling that the grade boundaries will be slightly higher for this paper! What do you think? Are you sitting C2 next week too? I'm hoping I don't make any silly mistakes on that paper, defo will be more careful
Reply 139
Original post by Arsey
that is true

however, I am not sure there are any extreme values in the data set, so I would be surprised if that gets you the mark.

Is there any chance that you could get the marks for 5e is you put 'mean' and justified it, or is mean definitely wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending