The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by JaggySnake95
I done that and wrote about a lonely mood and mentioned the isolation of Duror and how this caused his sort of mental breakdown. Which then allowed me to explain how it highlighted mans inhumanity to man...Sound okay? :smile:

Yea that was a good idea to focus on the lonely mood :smile: After the exam I thought I had read the question wrong and it was a specific mood they asked for and started freaking out. I then discovered it wasn't :L I focused on how Duror's thoughts and actions to Calum were disturbing due to the dehumanising terms, hope that was okay :/
How do you think you done on that question?
What did you guys put for the last question? I put;

1. They both agree that the games can no longer be enjoyed to their full potential. Quotes: "Keyhole" and "Chill in the sunlight".

2. They both disagree that the games are still enthralling and entertaining, Quotes: {Cant remember either}

3. Can't even mind what this point was.

What about you guys?
for 2a feast of big beasts' feasts suggest lots of people round enjoying it, with beasts being the huge sporting event'
Comparison to the vans diagram and the sheer scale of it emphises the magnitude of such events?

also, is his revelation the fact at any moment he could get off the bus and walk onto the event and witness the most significant moment of a sportsmens life?

5. many brits just watch it through the TV and dont get to see the sheer list of other events taking place off screen
brits only watch events in which our athletes are strongly competing in, and only dont see the vast ammounts of others they are not

6. its not the actual event/sport itself people stay up to watch, but the significance of seeing the moments which our athletes compete for a gold medal

7. you achieve nothing' shows that failure is not an option and by doing so they dont get anything signifiying the responsibility and pressure they are under
'dominates' shows how the event takes over the athletes life and how important it becomes to them, highlighting the pressure they feel to suceed'

8. shambles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nnnn12
Yea that was a good idea to focus on the lonely mood :smile: After the exam I thought I had read the question wrong and it was a specific mood they asked for and started freaking out. I then discovered it wasn't :L I focused on how Duror's thoughts and actions to Calum were disturbing due to the dehumanising terms, hope that was okay :/
How do you think you done on that question?

Yeah, I think it was pretty good. :smile: Overall I'm happy with how I done, I doubt I could have done much better so I'm hoping for an A. :biggrin: You?
Reply 604
Original post by Chefluigi64
You don't think the examiner won't see where I'm coming from? Thank you anyway... :smile: Already made me feel better. My other essay, comparison poetry was strong, and the Close Reading wasn't too bad so I'm hoping for a B :P

No, the examiner will be an English teacher and will be very able to read between the lines. They'll want to give you marks where they possibly can, and choosing an interesting approach to the question might make them more inclined to award marks.

I think you'll be fine with that approach. Peoples' views on morality is in itself a moral issue, how could anyone argue otherwise? :smile:
Original post by Tycho
No, the examiner will be an English teacher and will be very able to read between the lines. They'll want to give you marks where they possibly can, and choosing an interesting approach to the question might make them more inclined to award marks.

I think you'll be fine with that approach. Peoples' views on morality is in itself a moral issue, how could anyone argue otherwise? :smile:

my teacher said this - if your bold and go with unique ideas for example, you are inclinded to be more easily gifted marks. for example in the cone gatherers everyone typicaly writes how callums control in the trees signifies his connection to heaven - however, i wrote i disagree with this, believing it infact signifies 'bla bla bla' - teachers love it if you can mix it up a bit. how many essays do you think they're going to have to waid through with the easy childhood question which came up about edwin moors poem? think outside the box!
Original post by JackoGeddes
for 2a feast of big beasts' feasts suggest lots of people round enjoying it, with beasts being the huge sporting event'
Comparison to the vans diagram and the sheer scale of it emphises the magnitude of such events?

also, is his revelation the fact at any moment he could get off the bus and walk onto the event and witness the most significant moment of a sportsmens life?

5. many brits just watch it through the TV and dont get to see the sheer list of other events taking place off screen
brits only watch events in which our athletes are strongly competing in, and only dont see the vast ammounts of others they are not

6. its not the actual event/sport itself people stay up to watch, but the significance of seeing the moments which our athletes compete for a gold medal

7. you achieve nothing' shows that failure is not an option and by doing so they dont get anything signifiying the responsibility and pressure they are under
'dominates' shows how the event takes over the athletes life and how important it becomes to them, highlighting the pressure they feel to suceed'

8. shambles.

someone confirm im on the right lines please!
Reply 607
Original post by JaggySnake95
Yeah, I think it was pretty good. :smile: Overall I'm happy with how I done, I doubt I could have done much better so I'm hoping for an A. :biggrin: You?

That's good :smile: well I found the close reading okay but I'm not too sure about my essays. Just hoping for a B
Reply 608
Jacko, you'll get quite a few marks for sure!

"for 2a feast of big beasts' feasts suggest lots of people round enjoying it, with beasts being the huge sporting event'"

Might have been good to refer to the "beast" as implying scale and intensity - i.e. of monstrous proportion.

"also, is his revelation the fact at any moment he could get off the bus and walk onto the event and witness the most significant moment of a sportsmens life?"

Yes, broadly, although it more refers to the spontaneous nature of how he found out about his ability to get off the bus and wander around, rather than the actual fact that he could.

"5. many brits just watch it through the TV and dont get to see the sheer list of other events taking place off screen
brits only watch events in which our athletes are strongly competing in, and only dont see the vast ammounts of others they are not"

Yes, but you missed an opportunity to refer to the "keyhole", which implies that a television can only show so much (of even the events which are viewable on television). Being inside the stadium would give you a much greater appreciation of the atmosphere and magnitude.

"6. its not the actual event/sport itself people stay up to watch, but the significance of seeing the moments which our athletes compete for a gold medal"

Exactly.

"7. you achieve nothing' shows that failure is not an option and by doing so they dont get anything signifiying the responsibility and pressure they are under
'dominates' shows how the event takes over the athletes life and how important it becomes to them, highlighting the pressure they feel to suceed'"

Agreed. There was loads to write about for this question. :colondollar:

"8. shambles."

Hope you didn't just write this? :confused:

Pretty good effort overall... I think you'll do quite well! Keep chin up! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
cheers mate, hoping for a 30/50 - missed the last question out which was a blow, however the only question i believe i'll really loose marks on is the tone of disilusion, struggled with that. also the one in which why do people feel they need to like the olympics or something - i've did a quick skim from my memory and went over the paper, and im looking at around 30.

i've worked out, at the minimum i'll probably get 28.
the minimum critical essay mark i believe i'll get aswell is 28 (a 17 and 11)
the minimum folio i believe i could get as one essay was fantastic and should get a 19, is around 32 - this leaves me with like 57% = B :biggrin:
anyway lads, thanks for all the help decide. calling it a night and want to get this out my head as there is nothing really i can do now - fairly confident i've got my B, so we can just hope now i guess! good luck to everyone, on to Math now!
Reply 611
Original post by JackoGeddes
someone confirm im on the right lines please!

I did a similar thing to you for 2. A 'beast' suggests something massive in size and with great power, hence highlighting the immense force and influence the games have in spectators.
Got very similar answers for all the others.
I am so glad the close reading wasn't on one of the more dull topics such as the environment of Eco-lobby, I never understood a word of what they were saying!
Reply 612
Original post by McCaw95
Good solid essays and folio there then :smile: at the end of the day (and I know it's kind of hard to think about it), it's only 5 marks. You can afford to lose 15 marks and still get an A (70%) for the close reading alone. Just put it out of your mind for now and focus on the next exam :smile:

I'm gunning for 5 A's this year too, got a B in the prelim for English because I was lazy and did no revision, so I pulled my finger out for today and I am hoping and praying that I got an A. I'm more worried about my chemistry exam, I made such stupid mistakes that I would never have made at home or in class :s-smilie:

Well I hope you get those 5 A's. You deserve them on kindness alone. You have made me feel a lot better about my situation so thanks for that. I guess I should be ok in the end. I told my brother about my situation and he thought he had failed his higher English exam and he ended up getting a B. He said that him getting a B was an absolute mirical since he had failed his previous prelim.

And I do Chemistry too! Don't tell me you also do physics. I thought the chemistry paper was pretty hard to be honest. I found that there was some challenging questions in the multiple choice section. I think I have done well overall though. I am sure you will have done so too. Even if you did mess up a question or two. After all, it is not as if you just left a whole question blank for the examiners to laugh at.
Reply 613
Original post by KeithyDee
Don't worry mate. For an A, you need approximately 64% (64% being highest it has been in the past 3 years).

If you get 35/50 in Close Reading, 34/50 in your essays, and 38/50 in your folio, that is almost 70%...

Thanks mate. Your statistics make my pain ease.
Reply 614
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Hi..
Just wanted to ask.. How the hell can you write 7 pages. I just cant understand it. When i came out of the exam, some of my friends said they had to ask for extra paper!!... maybe because i was sitting there idle for about 20 mins but theres not alot you can say when the task is specific. So can you share your secret?? :smile:
And i dont think you would get 13. Maybe 17.

Yep I was one who asked for more paper the time just seemed to drag Along. I stop and thought hey A conclusion in ten minutes I need to slow down
I always thought 60% was a B and 70% an A. Has it changed of something? For every subject?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 616
Original post by Scrabble96
I always thought 60% was a B and 70% an A. Has it changed of something? For every subject?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The SQA try to make an A 70% but the grade boundaries alter according to how well everybody does.
Reply 617
I really hope an A will be 65% this year because I messed up my essays big time! And usually I get really good marks but somehow couldn't formulate any words in the exam!
Reply 618
Was English anyone's first exam? Because I usually mess the first one up.
Reply 619
Original post by Dawn6789
Was English anyone's first exam? Because I usually mess the first one up.

It was my first one. I'm doing three Highers in night classes: English, Maths and Physics. I've never done any Highers before, but I'm pleased to say that the worst of it is now over for me. I find English to be somewhat boring, albeit not too difficult. I'm more of a maths/science guy, so I'm very much more confident with those. :smile:

Where do you think you messed up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending