The Student Room Group

Medical School with 4 Highers?

Hi, i'm currently in S5 working towards my Highers/N5, i'm doing Higher Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Modern studies and N5 English. I've always struggled with English as i'm dyslexic, so when I went into S4 they made me do N4. I have loads of work experience, visiting lectures, webinars etc and i have strong N5's. So should I even bother applying?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TDCTV
Hi, i'm currently in S5 working towards my Highers/N5, i'm doing Higher Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Modern studies and N5 English. I've always struggled with English as i'm dyslexic, so when I went into S4 they made me do N4. I have loads of work experience, visiting lectures, webinars etc and i have strong N5'S. So should I even bother applying?

Hi

Providing you are going to meet the university requirements for the medical course then you shouldn't give up as follow your heart.
Make sure you have all the necessary information about what you are needing for the entry requirements before applying and if not you can always perhaps stay on at school for another year to achieve those requirements.
When you do your personal statement for your application you can incorporate the experience you have but if successful in getting a interview then you'll hopefully get the opportunity to discuss your previous experience you have for the course.

You'll definitely need English, math's and biology and chemistry.

This is the Scottish requirements for medical school requirements.
A Levels and Scottish Highers. The normal requirement is a minimum of grades AAA at A level with Chemistry and Biology being compulsory and any third subject excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. If applicants are taking more than three A levels, Chemistry, Biology and the next best grade will be considered.

Good luck with your application for medical school

A NHS Scotland registered midwife
Reply 2
I will give you a straight answer to this question. With 4 highers you simply are not meeting the minimum requirements so won't be considered. If you have your heart set on being a doctor then I would suggest doing a relevant less competitive relevant degree eg biochem, and get a 1st or 2:1, then apply to graduate student courses.

The competition remains incredibly high, with pretty much all applicants having 5 As in one sitting at higher. Unless you have widening access derogations, but even then we expect 5 highers. Sorry if disappointing but this is the reality. In fact it's actually harder for a Scottish student to get a place as numbers heavily restricted by SNP

NHS Consultant & former undergrad admissions tutor Scottish med school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending