The Student Room Group
Bitewing
Anyone know where to find a USB port on a computer? Obv. its on the back somewhere but whats it near to!?! Help appreciated.

Depends on the type of PC. Its usually near the other sockets and stuff for Mice, Keyboard, Speakers and whatever.
They can be on the front or the back but they look like this:

http://www.pretec.com/faq/usb_port.jpg
Reply 3
hmmm... I thought it might vary. I've tried sticking it in all the available sockets I could see to no avail. Do most computers have a USB port these days?
Bitewing
Anyone know where to find a USB port on a computer? Obv. its on the back somewhere but whats it near to!?! Help appreciated.

its a small rectangular one and has a little symbol near it

on the piccie i have attached you can see the end of the device that has to fit into the hole...
Bitewing
hmmm... I thought it might vary. I've tried sticking it in all the available sockets I could see to no avail. Do most computers have a USB port these days?

All machines in the last 5 years at least should have them, but not always.
Reply 6
ruthiepoothie
its a small rectangular one and has a little symbol near it

on the piccie i have attached you can see the end of the device that has to fit into the hole...

Yup, I've got the device, I'm just trying to insert it into its socket.
Which operating system are you using Windows 95 couldn't cope with USB devices and 98 was always a little bit dodgy.
Pencil Queen
They can be on the front or the back but they look like this:

http://www.pretec.com/faq/usb_port.jpg

Looks like an old PC then! :biggrin:
Pencil Queen
Which operating system are you using Windows 95 couldn't cope with USB devices and 98 was always a little bit dodgy.

Well 98 first edition is, but second edition wasn't a problem from my experience.
Reply 10
Pencil Queen

I'm using windows xp, I think the main problem is that the majority of the back of the computer is covered with a metal security thingy (uni pc) so I can't really get in to faff about.
Bitewing
I'm using windows xp, I think the main problem is that the majority of the back of the computer is covered with a metal security thingy (uni pc) so I can't really get in to faff about.

If it's a uni PC it's possible they've disabled any ports at the back that they don't want students to use.

Best bet is to contact your uni helpdesk - they should at least be able to tell you if there are any PCs on the network with USB ports that will work.
Reply 12
Pencil Queen
If it's a uni PC it's possible they've disabled any ports at the back that they don't want students to use.

Best bet is to contact your uni helpdesk - they should at least be able to tell you if there are any PCs on the network with USB ports that will work.

Thanks that sounds like a good idea!
Reply 13
Aha, just found one on another computer, thanks for your help chaps!
Reply 14
Ah yes the old Universal Serial Bus.

Latest

Trending

Trending