Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know where to find a USB port on a computer? Obv. its on the back somewhere but whats it near to!?! Help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Anyone know where to find a USB port on a computer? Obv. its on the back somewhere but whats it near to!?! Help appreciated.
    Depends on the type of PC. Its usually near the other sockets and stuff for Mice, Keyboard, Speakers and whatever.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    They can be on the front or the back but they look like this:

http://www.pretec.com/faq/usb_port.jpg

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... I thought it might vary. I've tried sticking it in all the available sockets I could see to no avail. Do most computers have a USB port these days?

ReputationRep:
    its a small rectangular one and has a little symbol near it

on the piccie i have attached you can see the end of the device that has to fit into the hole...

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... I thought it might vary. I've tried sticking it in all the available sockets I could see to no avail. Do most computers have a USB port these days?
    All machines in the last 5 years at least should have them, but not always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    its a small rectangular one and has a little symbol near it

on the piccie i have attached you can see the end of the device that has to fit into the hole...
    Yup, I've got the device, I'm just trying to insert it into its socket.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Which operating system are you using Windows 95 couldn't cope with USB devices and 98 was always a little bit dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    They can be on the front or the back but they look like this:

http://www.pretec.com/faq/usb_port.jpg
    Looks like an old PC then!

ReputationRep:
    Which operating system are you using Windows 95 couldn't cope with USB devices and 98 was always a little bit dodgy.
    Well 98 first edition is, but second edition wasn't a problem from my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using windows xp, I think the main problem is that the majority of the back of the computer is covered with a metal security thingy (uni pc) so I can't really get in to faff about.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm using windows xp, I think the main problem is that the majority of the back of the computer is covered with a metal security thingy (uni pc) so I can't really get in to faff about.
    If it's a uni PC it's possible they've disabled any ports at the back that they don't want students to use.

Best bet is to contact your uni helpdesk - they should at least be able to tell you if there are any PCs on the network with USB ports that will work.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a uni PC it's possible they've disabled any ports at the back that they don't want students to use.

Best bet is to contact your uni helpdesk - they should at least be able to tell you if there are any PCs on the network with USB ports that will work.
    Thanks that sounds like a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    Aha, just found one on another computer, thanks for your help chaps!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes the old Universal Serial Bus.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.