The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by Bexda
Let's not sweat on it guys! Whens your last exam? Are you going to Uni next year?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I know, it's over now.
Next Wednesday :frown:
Hopefully Newcastle to do Town Planning, you?

Reply 501
Original post by ss003
I know, it's over now.

Last week was dedicated to revising for it, I put my notes on the fire and made way for law! I have three more exams, the last next Friday! Law :smile: I'm hopefully heading to UWE in Bristol to do Marketing! What do you have to get?

Reply 502
Original post by ss003
I know, it's over now.

Haha I'm off Newcastle too! But for Law (if this exam didn't screw me over) And yep we got 1 A in our year. Rest were below C's. So annoyed since the change question was miles better. Argh.
Reply 503
Original post by Bexda
Last week was dedicated to revising for it, I put my notes on the fire and made way for law! I have three more exams, the last next Friday! Law :smile: I'm hopefully heading to UWE in Bristol to do Marketing! What do you have to get?

Despite the temptation I couldn't bring myself to burn my notes just yet haha.
ABC, fingers crossed. You?

Reply 504
Original post by Bexda
Let's not sweat on it guys! Whens your last exam? Are you going to Uni next year?

Last exam is a week tomorrow, Economics 4. Got Economics 3 today. Urgh.
Reply 505
Original post by Jakeeyy
Last exam is a week tomorrow, Economics 4. Got Economics 3 today. Urgh.

OCR? The thought of it terrifies me. So ill prepared at the moment.

Reply 506
Original post by ss003
OCR? The thought of it terrifies me. So ill prepared at the moment.

AQA, nevertheless, Econ 3 is grim.
Reply 507
Original post by ss003
Despite the temptation I couldn't bring myself to burn my notes just yet haha.
ABC, fingers crossed. You?

I have them backup on the computer :wink: couldn't help but do it whilst the fire was on hahah! I'm sure you'll be fine! 300 points! I do 4 subjects so all c's x

Reply 508
did anybody write 1993 as the date rather than 1933 in the language change part? i am scared i have messed up that whole 48 marks now, it would have been easier to answer comparing 1933 to 1993 gr!:mad:
Original post by Yuzaeul
I did Rothery too, but none of the other stuff, I would have done some Barclay/orthography stuff but I was trying to keep my essay under an hour. xD

Well i'm sure we both did great :biggrin:
This exam was really mixed :/
Found CLA really good but then really struggled on the language change section.
what did people put for the advert question?
Reply 511
Original post by smarshmellow
This exam was really mixed :/
Found CLA really good but then really struggled on the language change section.
what did people put for the advert question?

Yeah it was a strange change question! mentioned gender, purpose, audience. lots of lexis, neologisms, compounding, technology and sociolinguistic change. er... some narrowing and pejoration I think semantically. and then rambled on about Lowth, Aitchison, presciptivism etc. what about you?
did many people do the letter question for language change? i thought it looked easier than the other one, not quite so sure how i did though
i thought the CLA question was really nice! done better on that one, hopefully got an A overall but wouldn't like to say
Original post by beckimasseyxx
did many people do the letter question for language change? i thought it looked easier than the other one, not quite so sure how i did though
i thought the CLA question was really nice! done better on that one, hopefully got an A overall but wouldn't like to say

I did the letter one for change! I thought it looked as if there was more to write about as you could compare to the language we use today. I'd like an overall A too but I don't want to jinx it :smile:
Liked this exam - hope it went okay!
Q1 - I wrote about turn taking, Bellugi's Negative Stages, CDs and motherease, Dore and Halliday, context of why language was less with picture cards and lexical fields (hypernymy and hyponymy) - required labelling etc
Theorists - Piaget, Bruner, Skinner and Vygotsky
(I always find it hard to recall what I wrote in this part - thats the adrenalin haha)
Q3 - I wrote about the context of prestandardisation (just) standard had not fully been attached to language. The orthographical mistakes and a lack of uniform point of reference (dictionary in 20th century) borrowings from Latin and French - from the 1066 norman invasion and reflected the high formality register of the texts. Also about the narrowing of the word 'wife' how it used to be any woman, then narrowed to mean just married women. Also wrote about capitalisation inconsistency, lack of punctuation (reflection of spoken speech) and archaic inflections and contractions of words. Also about language and gender - the aysemmtry between male adress 'sir' and female 'mistress'.
Some other things too, but again the adrenalin got to me haha :smile:
Reply 515
Original post by Courtney05
Liked this exam - hope it went okay!
Q1 - I wrote about turn taking, Bellugi's Negative Stages, CDs and motherease, Dore and Halliday, context of why language was less with picture cards and lexical fields (hypernymy and hyponymy) - required labelling etc
Theorists - Piaget, Bruner, Skinner and Vygotsky
(I always find it hard to recall what I wrote in this part - thats the adrenalin haha)
Q3 - I wrote about the context of prestandardisation (just) standard had not fully been attached to language. The orthographical mistakes and a lack of uniform point of reference (dictionary in 20th century) borrowings from Latin and French - from the 1066 norman invasion and reflected the high formality register of the texts. Also about the narrowing of the word 'wife' how it used to be any woman, then narrowed to mean just married women. Also wrote about capitalisation inconsistency, lack of punctuation (reflection of spoken speech) and archaic inflections and contractions of words. Also about language and gender - the aysemmtry between male adress 'sir' and female 'mistress'.
Some other things too, but again the adrenalin got to me haha :smile:

Mine was soo similar to this! What UMS mark are you expecting?
Original post by Gracey45
Mine was soo similar to this! What UMS mark are you expecting?

english twins haha! I really want about 100ums to 105 to be honest, you? :smile:
Reply 517
english twins haha! I really want about 100ums to 105 to be honest, you? :smile:

We are on the same wave-length haha! I need 104 for an overall A, so fingers crossed we both get what we are hoping for :smile:
Original post by Gracey45
We are on the same wave-length haha! I need 104 for an overall A, so fingers crossed we both get what we are hoping for :smile:

OMG thats good then, same style answers, same style needs - hope this is a good thing! Fingers crossed definitely! Inbox me and let me know what you got on the day :biggrin: are you applying for uni? if so where?
Reply 519
OMG thats good then, same style answers, same style needs - hope this is a good thing! Fingers crossed definitely! Inbox me and let me know what you got on the day :biggrin: are you applying for uni? if so where?

Yeah I will do :biggrin: I've applied to do Psychology at Chichester Uni with Southampton Solent being my insurance. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending