The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Unite accomodation Glasgow

Has anyone heard good or bad reviews about the unite thurso street or kelvin court halls? they both look nice and are cheaper than the uni halls but don't know anyone who's been?
Reply 1
Original post by Caitlin94
Has anyone heard good or bad reviews about the unite thurso street or kelvin court halls? they both look nice and are cheaper than the uni halls but don't know anyone who's been?

You'll have a hard time finding anyone that's stayed in Kelvin Court: It's still under construction! Thurso Street only opened in the last year or so, so again, will be hard to find reviews. They are newer than the university accommodation which is typically 15-20 years old now so probably look flashier. They're also in really good locations: Thurso Street is probably closer than any other to campus, and certainly much closer than Murano, Queen Margaret or Wolfson Hall.

Price wise, I'm surprised they're cheaper- from what I can see Murano/Cairncross non-ensuite are £99 a week against £108 for Kelvin Court. They are slightly cheaper than the en-suite at Queen Margaret halls or the catered Wolfson though.

Anyway, assuming the £10 a week doesn't make much difference, the one reason I WOULDN'T take Unite is that most of their intake are international postgraduates (on one-year MScs) or later year undergraduates, who again, tend to be international (mostly Asian). Lovely people, but assuming you're an incoming new First Year, I'd say you're more likely to find other UK/European freshers in university halls. The postgrad crowd tend to want a quiet life and aren't quite as sociable, so it might make for a very different experience than it would in Murano, where there are 1200 new students. People I know picked Unite halls for that very reason, and had a more laid back time because they'd been at university for a while and had their own friends anyway, but for freshers, I'd suggest apply for Murano or Cairncross/QM.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Caitlin94

I've booked my accommodation with Unite at Kelvin Court - As far as I know, it's a fresh new building open for 2012, so should be good :smile:

I will be honest though - i have heard a lot of mixed comments about Unite as a whole (not Kelvin court or another place!)...that they use cheap stuff which breaks and they take money out from the students' deposit - how true that is, I don't really know! But there are a lot of people with good views on it and ones who talk about having had a great time with them!

Personally, I booked with them coz Kelvin Court is very close to uni - closer than other affordable uni accommodations that I know. Moreover, I booked my place in April when they had the "99 rooms for £99 per week" offer...so I'm getting an en-suite for £99 pw which I think is a pretty good deal! And next year, I'm hoping to rent a flat and share it with others from my second year, so it should all go smooth hopefully :smile:
Reply 3
Can anyone tell me how your experiences there at Kelvin Court turned out? I'm considering it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending