The Student Room Group

How hard are highers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm pretty sure you will need to take higher biology in order to get into medicine, possibly dentistry as well. A lot of unis look for A's in biology and chemistry, not just chemistry. But I suppose if you are doing two sciences then you might be fine. Anyway, I'm doing my highers this year and I am also doing higher maths, english and chemistry! I done int 2 in 3rd and 4th year, and a lot of the chemistry stuff we done in int 2 is repeated in higher, so that will be useful, idk about sg, my school don't do them. I think higher english will be hell though, mainly because i struggled with int 2 never mind higher. I'm just hoping I can pass english because you need it for most unis :frown:
Reply 41
Also, I'm crashing higher history. Now I know modern studies is different and easier, but I got 72/72 in my modern studies prelim and even in S2 I could get a 1 for timed writing in English. Will I be good at higher? Bearing in mind I'm doing it over 2 years and want an A. My friend says it's not top hard

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by anthonyfl
Over S4 and S5. We get a letter written to the universities explaining the school's policy.

That'll be fine then. It's the fact that you couldn't do AH's which could bring a concern for Medicine (Not Required but IIRC Highly recommended, especially Chemistry and Biology/Physics)
Reply 43
Original post by TheFOMaster
That'll be fine then. It's the fact that you couldn't do AH's which could bring a concern for Medicine (Not Required but IIRC Highly recommended, especially Chemistry and Biology/Physics)

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Firstly... why does your school have a two-year policy? Would I be right in thinking that means you do the same five subjects over 5th and 6th year? Thus, no extra subjects of advanced highers can be gained in 6th year? Or do you start highers earlier or something? At any rate it sounds very unusual.

As for the subjects you mentioned I only took Maths and English. English was by far the most noticeable jump for me, and took a while to adapt to. Went from a C to an A through the course of the start of the year to final exam. So by the end, it doesn't seem so bad as it once did. You just need to work on developing your close reading skills and making sure you learn your texts and the structure to be used in essays.

As for Maths, I found the jump relatively smooth to begin with, and started to find it enjoyable actually. (Standard Grade I had found rather boring). There were some topics which weren't so nice to begin with. And although I started off with a relaxed attitude having gotten an A in the A-test, the prelim made me realise how much work and practice you really have to do as I failed it. Ended up doing past papers and all the revision questions, brought that up to an A second prelim and an A in the final exam. Hence, practice outside the class is CRUCIAL. Make sure you cover every little subtopic, as there's a good chance if you skip something it'll come up in a prelim or exam. So for me, there's certainly a noticeable jump in difficulty and effort required, but if you put the work in, it's very doable.

As for highers in general, you will notice as a whole a huge jump in the amount of homework you get and independent learning. I know you're not taking any practical subjects as such, but for the benefit of anyone who is, certain subjects (i.e. Art, Graph Comm, Product Design, Drama, etc.) There is far greater demand for you to put the time in outside of the timetabled classes to complete coursework. This may involve going in at lunch or after school or doing extra things at home.

In short, it's all about adapting to a higher workload and responsibility. But that usually comes naturally.
Reply 45
Original post by Chrisruptor
Firstly... why does your school have a two-year policy? Would I be right in thinking that means you do the same five subjects over 5th and 6th year? Thus, no extra subjects of advanced highers can be gained in 6th year? Or do you start highers earlier or something? At any rate it sounds very unusual.

As for the subjects you mentioned I only took Maths and English. English was by far the most noticeable jump for me, and took a while to adapt to. Went from a C to an A through the course of the start of the year to final exam. So by the end, it doesn't seem so bad as it once did. You just need to work on developing your close reading skills and making sure you learn your texts and the structure to be used in essays.

As for Maths, I found the jump relatively smooth to begin with, and started to find it enjoyable actually. (Standard Grade I had found rather boring). There were some topics which weren't so nice to begin with. And although I started off with a relaxed attitude having gotten an A in the A-test, the prelim made me realise how much work and practice you really have to do as I failed it. Ended up doing past papers and all the revision questions, brought that up to an A second prelim and an A in the final exam. Hence, practice outside the class is CRUCIAL. Make sure you cover every little subtopic, as there's a good chance if you skip something it'll come up in a prelim or exam. So for me, there's certainly a noticeable jump in difficulty and effort required, but if you put the work in, it's very doable.

As for highers in general, you will notice as a whole a huge jump in the amount of homework you get and independent learning. I know you're not taking any practical subjects as such, but for the benefit of anyone who is, certain subjects (i.e. Art, Graph Comm, Product Design, Drama, etc.) There is far greater demand for you to put the time in outside of the timetabled classes to complete coursework. This may involve going in at lunch or after school or doing extra things at home.

In short, it's all about adapting to a higher workload and responsibility. But that usually comes naturally.

All standard grades are sat in S3 and highers over S4 and S5. It defeats the useless S2 year where little is learned. Why spend S2 doing near enough nothing when you could have an extra year for highers? :smile: the results are the best in north Lanarkshire now and even sitting standard grades in S3, 66% of pupils get five credits or more, and 42% get three highers or more.. So it works! It also makes people feel inclined to stay on at school as why leave after completing half a higher? You may as well just finish it. It also means for higher Maths past papers are done from October of S5 as that's when the course finishes. It drills in learning and forces people to study. For example, my brother got a 2 in standard grade English but with the two year higher he achieved an A.

Oh, and it also means I'm 14 when I sat all my standard grades.

Original post by Chrisruptor
At any rate it sounds very unusual.

Not really, I know a few schools do it for at least top sets. :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Not really, I know a few schools do it for at least top sets. :smile:

It would be crazy if it meant we would miss out on sixth year, but second year is such an utterly pointless year where people do subjects they're not good at and dislike.

Highers are pretty easy tbh. I did about 1 hr homework per night, and maybe one essay per weekend on average. I did Latin, French, Biology, English and Maths, and got As in all of them. The hardest was Maths, though tbh I did barely any of the homework for it and never paid attention in lessons which was probably why.
Reply 49
I did five highers last year, and come about April time I wanted to die. But that was over one year and I really struggled particularly when it came to higher maths, so that's not saying that you'll be in the same boat if you're taking five highers over two years. You'll definitely get a better grasp of the subjects if you are able to take more time on each unit / topic. The only slight downfall I can think of in regards to taking two years to sit your highers is that sitting highers in a single year would probably prepare you for sitting your advanced highers in just one year (which I presume you'll have to do if you are studying your highers over 4th and 5th year, and you'll still have a sixth year left to complete?) ...that's just my opinion though. :smile: good luck all the same!
I would say the best advice is that yes, there is a noticeable jump, but if you stick in and do all the work yours teachers assign you then it should be fine. This of course relies heavily on your general aptitude for each subject. I think you're very lucky having 2 years to do the course over but don't let this fool you into having a false sense of security - Highers are HARD WORK, and yes, you will need to start revision now.
Original post by TheFOMaster

It would be crazy if it meant we would miss out on sixth year, but second year is such an utterly pointless year where people do subjects they're not good at and dislike.

I may just be a dreamer or have high expectations, but I truly believe that there's no such thing as being inherently doomed to being bad at a subject (certainly not a SG/Higher level!). Maths is a big one here, a lot of people say "oh, I'm really bad at maths" and get down on themselves about it. But in all reality, I've found they're usually perfectly capable of doing the subject they're just not being taught in a way that works them, or are thinking about it the wrong way. I haven't met a "bad" mathmo whose marks I haven't been able to help improve in a big way. :tongue:

As for the shout with medicine, definitely. Not necessary, but a lot of applicants are going to have AAAAA at Higher (it was 80% for Edinburgh). I'd say 3 AHs or 2 AHs and a Higher or 2 would be a good idea for your 6th year. Chemistry is the most valued subject for medicine, I'd say.

We have a lot of knowledgeable members vis-a-vis medicine on the forum, so don't hesitate to come ask any questions.

Original post by InkingTheSky
I think you're very lucky having 2 years to do the course over but don't let this fool you into having a false sense of security

This has to be emphasised. At my school, the two top English sets were split into two groups. One started Higher English in S4, the other did SG English in S4. The class doing it over 2 years performed significantly less well than the class that did it over one year, and I can almost guarantee it's because they had a false sense of security. A lot of them even re-sat it in 6th year, meaning it was their third year of Higher English.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I may just be a dreamer or have high expectations, but I truly believe that there's no such thing as being inherently doomed to being bad at a subject (certainly not a SG/Higher level!). Maths is a big one here, a lot of people say "oh, I'm really bad at maths" and get down on themselves about it. But in all reality, I've found they're usually perfectly capable of doing the subject they're just not being taught in a way that works them, or are thinking about it the wrong way. I haven't met a "bad" mathmo whose marks I haven't been able to help improve in a big way. :tongue:

As for the shout with medicine, definitely. Not necessary, but a lot of applicants are going to have AAAAA at Higher (it was 80% for Edinburgh). I'd say 3 AHs or 2 AHs and a Higher or 2 would be a good idea for your 6th year. Chemistry is the most valued subject for medicine, I'd say.

We have a lot of knowledgeable members vis-a-vis medicine on the forum, so don't hesitate to come ask any questions.

This has to be emphasised. At my school, the two top English sets were split into two groups. One started Higher English in S4, the other did SG English in S4. The class doing it over 2 years performed significantly less well than the class that did it over one year, and I can almost guarantee it's because they had a false sense of security. A lot of them even re-sat it in 6th year, meaning it was their third year of Higher English.

What Highers did you do in S5? (and s6?)

I think that method of splitting the top set sounds very bizarre to be honest! The two year higher not only gives advantage to the smarter pupils, but also to pupils who would get a general or foundation grade at standard grade. For example, if they received a general grade then they would do intermediate 2 for one year in S4 then continue with the one year higher like most schools.

I have taken into account what you both said and I'll definitely be trying to keep on top of essays, revision and understanding in my subjects. However, as I said before, our higher English passes doubled the year the two year higher sat their exam!

Thanks for the great advice, I'll be keen to know how you get in with medicine - keep me updated :smile:

This is where I fluffed up at Higher. I didn't do any revision whatsoever at SG throughout the two years or at the final exam and still passed everything (5 with credit passes) and so when I came to Higher I just didn't have the patience (or see the need to) revise.

Though many applicants will have AAAAA it is worth pointing out that many people with AAAAB and AAABB frequently are successful.

Agree with the rest.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Though many applicants will have AAAAA it is worth pointing out that many people with AAAAB and AAABB frequently are successful.

Agree with the rest.

Definitely worth saying. I thought I'd add in something along the lines of "but you don't need all these AHs/A's blah blah..."

A girl in my Bio/chem class who applied for medicine got AAAAB and got offers from Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. I didn't get an offer until Edinburgh put me on the "waiting list", and I had AAAAA. Rejected from everywhere else. So academics are definitely not the be all and end all.

What Highers did you do in S5? (and s6?)

S5: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English, French - Higher
S6: Biology, Chemistry, Maths - AH and Physics Higher

I think that method of splitting the top set sounds very bizarre to be honest! The two year higher not only gives advantage to the smarter pupils, but also to pupils who would get a general or foundation grade at standard grade. For example, if they received a general grade then they would do intermediate 2 for one year in S4 then continue with the one year higher like most schools.

I never saw what the big deal was with English. Bit of a diddy subject at Higher. :tongue:
*hides from Arcadia*

Thanks for the great advice, I'll be keen to know how you get in with medicine - keep me updated :smile:

TSFMS up above is an Aberdeen medic and so is TheRabbit, who posts in ScotQuals. So both of them are great people to ask. They gave me a lot of advice with my application and I'm very, very thankful for it. :smile:

I dunno about that inherently bad bit... I distinctly remember trying yet still doing 0 progress in S2 music(My teacher said I had no talent :frown: ). And my Woodwork teacher really despised how much I split my wood. And graphics and Art...
Would this not set you at a disadvantage for uni? When people do higher over 2 years (as in doing it in S5, not sitting the exam then re-doing it in S6) It does put them at a disadvantage against people who are able to gain an A over one year.
Reply 58
I've been asked this about three times! I'm doing them over S4 and S5, NOT S5 and S6!

Reply 59
Which school is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending