The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

Is it bad that when i saw this thread my mind immediately sprung to the tv show on Pick TV ? :tongue:
Reply 601
Original post by Rk123456
I can only speak for the border force officer SUCCESSFUL process.. You should receive an email in due time, I guess if you pass a certain mark, they then go through your application and you are given an interview

Hi RK123456

I really need your help please. I have a presentation and the interview next week. Can you give me an idea of the presentation, the questions you had please. I may not get the same but it would give me an idea.

Would really aprresicate your help.
Original post by comicbookgirl
Really? There were 12 in my slot, and they split us into two groups of 6 (one group took the test first and then the interview, and the other group did it the other way around). I assume there was another group of 12 before me (I was the second slot of the day). Maybe they had a different number of interviewers available each day (sorry if that depresses you more!) However, the person looking after us did say something about them recruiting for other parts of the country as well, and that 38 was only for the London area. That's why I was confused.

Thanks for the info! Was wondering how was the interview and written scenario? I'm just mostly worried about the interview part :frown:
Original post by ALoverOfLove
Thanks for the info! Was wondering how was the interview and written scenario? I'm just mostly worried about the interview part :frown:

They just asked about the competencies. I'd concentrate on preparing some examples :smile:. Nothing to worry about, just do your best.
Original post by comicbookgirl
They just asked about the competencies. I'd concentrate on preparing some examples :smile:. Nothing to worry about, just do your best.

Thanks!
Original post by Mature
Hi RK123456

I really need your help please. I have a presentation and the interview next week. Can you give me an idea of the presentation, the questions you had please. I may not get the same but it would give me an idea.

Hi Mature, I can understand your position because before I had my Border Force Officer interview I too had no idea what exactly the presentation would entail and would have gladly welcomed some guidance just to put my mind at ease. This 'presentation' isn't a presentation at all in the traditional sense. Well actually not in any sense because it is...quite frankly...not a presentation at all. Basically you're given 5 minutes to read through a work problem scenario with 3 different problems in it and then you go into your interview and tell the interviewers how you would go about resolving the specific work issues. Basically, when you read the scenario you need to think about how you can demonstrate usage of the key competencies, for example respect for diversity and equality, as well as common sense approaches. Put your mind at ease Mature. The 'presentation' portion of the interview is the easy bit. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it if I were you. My advice to you is to practice and then practice some more, answers to the competency based interview. Wish you the best of luck.

For those that recieved conditional offers for the Border Force Officer role : Has anyone who sent their security clearance questionairre early last week heard back yet ? I'm clinging on to Berkshire Boy's experience of 9 days. The 9th day is tomorrow :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rubbish-username
Hi Mature, I can understand your position because before I had my Border Force Officer interview I too had no idea what exactly the presentation would entail and would have gladly welcomed some guidance just to put my mind at ease. This 'presentation' isn't a presentation at all in the traditional sense. Well actually not in any sense because it is...quite frankly...not a presentation at all. Basically you're given 5 minutes to read through a work problem scenario with 3 different problems in it and then you go into your interview and tell the interviewers how you would go about resolving the specific work issues. Basically, when you read the scenario you need to think about how you can demonstrate usage of the key competencies, for example respect for diversity and equality, as well as common sense approaches. Put your mind at ease Mature. The 'presentation' portion of the interview is the easy bit. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it if I were you. My advice to you is to practice and then practice some more, answers to the competency based interview. Wish you the best of luck.

For those that recieved conditional offers for the Border Force Officer role : Has anyone who sent their security clearance questionairre early last week heard back yet ? I'm clinging on to Simon's experience of 9 days. The 9th day is tomorrow :eek:

Hi rubbish-username,

I sent my security questionnaire back last Tuesday so hopefully the 9/10 day turn around is right because I haven't heard anything either!

If you get a response, let me know! :smile:
Reply 607
Original post by rowlyc
What you going to do then Orv?
I'm going to ask work if they might pay for it, but I think that'll be a "no go" with all the cuts we're making at the min. But even if they do it doesn't give me long to prepare. I'm so annoyed with the whole thing, after waiting this long to find out, to be told we have to travel to london in under a week is total madness - I cannot believe there isn't suitable interviewers in the North somewhere who could do exactly the same job!

Well, I can't go. I can't afford it for a start, it's a 5 hr journey, I am in work for 7 days from Tuesday... And my employer won't supply a letter saying if I fail I can have my job back, because of operational needs, if I go, they will replace me. So I'm up sh*t creek. The dream Endeth here.
Reply 608
Hi guys,

Has anyone applied for the Border Force Officer position? If so, could you tell me what stage you are with your application.

I have had my interview a while ago and I recently contacted the recruitment team but was told that I would be contacted soon. That was 1 week ago. :s-smilie:
Original post by cl_steele
Is it bad that when i saw this thread my mind immediately sprung to the tv show on Pick TV ? :tongue:
I'll be watching that show for hints when I start...
Reply 610
Original post by Mature
Hi RK123456

Hey mate,

I can't really give any more advice than rubbish-username is as they've hit the nail on the head. Just remember your competencies and you'll be cool! The 'presentation' isn't a presentation at all. It's a more of a 'what would you do if..' It's not that difficult, the interview is the more tense part.

Best of luck!
Reply 611
Original post by Llamageddon
I'll be watching that show for hints when I start...

Me too.. Hahaha
Reply 612
Original post by lilprincess
Hi rubbish-username,

I sent my security questionnaire back last Tuesday so hopefully the 9/10 day turn around is right because I haven't heard anything either!

If you get a response, let me know! :smile:

Hey, I sent my security form of on the 13th sept, thought it would be a 9/10 day wait. But I contacted them on yesterday because I didn't receive the clearance yet, they said some people's security forms take longer than others. However, they did say mine was on the final stage and should hear by next week.
Just had an email advising that the role I applied for (Border Force Officer) has been "withdrawn" for operational reasons. My other colleagues have had the same email. What an absolute joke. PCS union - who voted to strike shortly before the Olympics, cancelled strike action at the announcement of these jobs. Makes you wonder whether these jobs ever existed in the first place.

This is the third job I have applied for in the Home Office which has been withdrawn. All that time wasted on applications ....tests.....

private sector - here I come.
Original post by millsy1976
Just had an email advising that the role I applied for (Border Force Officer) has been "withdrawn" for operational reasons. My other colleagues have had the same email. What an absolute joke. PCS union - who voted to strike shortly before the Olympics, cancelled strike action at the announcement of these jobs. Makes you wonder whether these jobs ever existed in the first place.

This is the third job I have applied for in the Home Office which has been withdrawn. All that time wasted on applications ....tests.....

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. I was just wondering what stage of the application process you were at? Did you recieve a conditional offer?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/
Reply 615
recieved a letter regarding the security clearance, which is all done.

now what next??

Were you given a conditional offer or not?

I have not received this e-mail but they are dragging their heels somewhat. I've already rejected two job offers for this role because I thought I'd be starting it and my current contract ends start of december.

Though e-mail job offers are relatively binding (a verbal offer is too, but impossible to prove).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 617
Original post by Llamageddon
Were you given a conditional offer or not?

I have not received this e-mail but they are dragging their heels somewhat. I've already rejected two job offers for this role because I thought I'd be starting it and my current contract ends start of december
Though e-mail job offers are relatively binding (a verbal offer is too, but impossible to

This is quite a worrying turn of events - when they say the position has now been " withdrawn". Selfishly, having received an offer 5 weeks ago, I assume this applies to candidates who have not yet had an interview?

I sent my security questionnaire away 9 days ago but have heard nothing back. I've also completed the Health questionnaire & Pension Forms.

It would appear they have missed their target of conducting training on a rolling period throughout Sep & Oct. Like Llamageddon I too, have rejected 2 other job offers as I want this one.

I would imagine most people would have a minimum 4 weeks notice period, so even if we all got the nod tomorrow ( unlikely) then we would be looking at a start date of early November. They wanted extra Officers in place for the influx of students in October & to enable existing Officers to take their Leave which was cancelled during the Olympics. They have missed this target.

I really don't think we will be starting in 2012.
Reply 618

Hey millsy, commiserations. Could you tell us where abouts you were in the process? When were you interviewed and accepted?
Reply 619
Sorry to hear millsy

I think the withdrawn applicants were only from those within the civil services. For the rest of us, I think that they are waiting for everyone's security forms to be completed before they set a start or training date. This is to ensure most people probably start around the same time rather than have an influx of scattered recruits which would waste more resources and time (for training)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending