The Student Room Group

Horrible Thin Hair :(

I've got really thin hair and I hate it, It just looks all horrible and I'd love to get thicker hair. Is there any way that can make my hair thicker or at least look thicker. I wash, shampoo and condition it every other day. I rarely straighten it or curl it (maybe 2 times a month) when its curly it looks like I have more hair, so I don't know :/ WHAT CAN I DO?
attached a picture so you can see how bad it is, I washed my hair this morning, so its a bit wavy from that.
snapshot(1).jpg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really? Didnt know that. But I feel that my hair just feels horrible and greasy and just looks pure vile. Should I use a dry shampoo on the second day when it starts to look greasy, or will that effect it as well?
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by _Shmiley
I've got really thin hair and I hate it, It just looks all horrible and I'd love to get thicker hair. Is there any way that can make my hair thicker or at least look thicker. I wash, shampoo and condition it every other day. I rarely straighten it or curl it (maybe 2 times a month) when its curly it looks like I have more hair, so I don't know :/ WHAT CAN I DO?
attached a picture so you can see how bad it is, I washed my hair this morning, so its a bit wavy from that.
snapshot(1).jpg

I have thin hair too, i find the longer it is, the thinner it looks! to make it LOOK as though i have more hair than i do i back comb it slightly at the roots and use like setting powder which gives me a little more volume creating the illusion of more/thicker hair :smile:

failing that you could get extensions, physically adding more hair would work (get the good stuff).
You look like you dye your hair... that might be contributing to the problem. Just an idea.
Original post by _Shmiley
snapshot(1).jpg

You have my sympathy, I also have very thin hair. I have found that layering it has helped because effectively, the top layers are lighter and lighter = looks fuller as it's obviously not as heavy. I rarely use conditioner, if I'm going out I wear hair extensions. Some people backcomb the hair which does work but it is not great for it.

Just to add, you are very pretty. :smile:
You could get extensions?? Or at my hairdressers they put this powder stuff into the roots which gives it instant volume such as the one in the picture

But honestly I think your hair looks nice! My hair is really thick and I hate it cos I constantly need to thin it out. It gets really hot and heavy and knotted

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Massage your head to remove plague from capillaries
Massage your scalp up to 12 times a day everyday to increase scalp circulation .This forces new capillaries to form, as well as unblock previously closed capillaries allowing the hair follicles to rejuvenate and start producing hair and eventually, thicker hair..You do not need to massage it with oil everytime you can do it with your fingers and gently massage a few times a day.
Reply 8
Its only thin from the bottom :smile:
Reply 9
Use essential oils with aromatherapy. Massaging essential oils in the scalp, such as those from lavender, rosemary, thyme, jojoba, grapeseed and cedarwood oils, may help regrow hair, adding to the overall thickness and volume. You can buy essential oils at most homeopathic or naturopathic stores. :smile:
Reply 10
It might work won't hurt to try. There's also those shampoos for thinning hair but they don't seem to have much effect. It's tough going bald in your early 20s. :frown:

There's always those hair loss clinics if you have £3000 spare for treatment!
Reply 11
My hair's not as thick as I would like but I find the rainforest volume shampoo from The Body Shop is amazing. It does what it says on the tin and gives me good volume and actually makes my hair seem so much healthier and it's also good with regards to the chemicals they put in it (I don't know much on this but I know that it has no sulphates and that's good - a little bit of research would tell you more). Also, I'm now working on my diet and what I put into my body - i.e. having more water, more protein (as hair is made of protein so a good diet with sufficient protein is key) and just more green veggies. I've just had this wake up call so I don't know how long it will take to show effect but I'm determined to stick to it so maybe focusing on diet is something you could do too but until then, good products can help.

Also, when I wash it, I don't blowdry it if I can help it and usually keep my hair upside down while it dries i.e. lying on the sofa and letting the hair hang off the edge, if that makes sense. Helps with becoming a bit more volume-y.
Your hair is funky! I'm not sure what you can do to thicken up your natural hair..but if you wanted a temporary solution you could always attatch blonde extensions to the back...well that's what I'd do anyway :cool:
Use non sulphate shampoos and conditioner, you can get some from Holland and Barrett.
Don't shampoo your hair as often as that
Massage your scalp often
Use coconut oil (Its like a hair miracle oil no joke..)
Make sure you're eating healthy because hair thickness is an internal thing, it grows
from the inside... so if your eating crap its not likely your hair will get thicker
If your diet can't be improved, take multivitamin tablets!

:smile: Hope this helps.
Reply 14
Conditioner deffo thins the hair.

There's a Rogain/Regaine version for women but it's expensive. About £20-40 a month. I doubt it's worth it though, your hair isn't bad at all - definitely not bad enough for hair loss products.
you need to cut the thin ends.

say your farewells to yo hurr.
Reply 16
Firstly, I would go to your hairdressers and have them set you up with something that will give the illusion of longer hair (which would most likely be something along the lines of choppy layers with blunt ends).

Also you could have a bit of an experiment with shampoo to find one that suits your hair- some brands do shampoos for thin hair which are basically lighter and don't weight it down so much, others (I know boots own does one) which supposedly makes the hair thicker. I've heard baby shampoo and conditioner works well too as it's lighter and milder, so is less likely to damage the hair which in turn makes it look thin and spindley.

I use dry shampoo pretty much every morning on my roots regardless of the cleanliness of my hair as it just gives it lift and make it look fuller. I don't straighten or curl my hair but I do use mousse after washing it, then scrunch it up on top of my hair- it really works to make sort of big, voluminous waves. again, it's probably a case of experimenting to find a way that suits you, you could try those big 1950's hair rollers?

Finally, a quick fix solution would just be extensions but I would defo recommend that you stay away from fixed ones and go clip in all the way. They're a fraction of the price and won't damage your hair- even the gentlest, most expensive fixed ones will damage your hair and ultimately damage it, making it look even thinner.

P.s. i think your hair is lovely regardless :smile:
Reply 17
Personally i dont think it looks very bad but maybe try progaine, apparently that works :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by bittersweet16
You look like you dye your hair... that might be contributing to the problem. Just an idea.

I've only ever done the ends of my hair Blonde like in the picture, my hair has always been thin though :frown:

Original post by ash77
Massage your head to remove plague from capillaries

Plague in capillaries? Sounds...dangerous.

Quick Reply

Latest