The Student Room Group

Postgraduate CPE/GDL Course

Hello :smile:
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some in depth (or websites with depth) information about the GDL, I've known since I started University that I wanted to pursue Law after I'd done an undergraduate in History. Now I'm going into my second year I think it's time to do some more research.
I was wondering if there is a 'best' course provider? (I've presumed it's City Law School, but I could be wrong) and what A-Level/Degree level do you need to have a chance to get onto that course?
Is History a desirable subject to have as a degree when applying to the GDL?

Also, has anyone on TSR gone down the GDL route? It would be really great to hear a personal insight into it.
I haven't done the GDL but can answer some of your questions anyway.

There is not a massive difference in course providers. If you want to save money those outside London are cheaper. On the subject of saving money if you want to work as a solicitor after qualifying then some firms will pay for you to do the GDL and LPC, in which case they will tell you which provider to go to. You can apply for Training Contracts next year (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

re. A-level / degree classification. Technically you need a 2:2 to do the GDL. I'm sure if you had a third they would let you do it as long as you had a cheque for the course fees in your hand. The GDL providers have no particular reason to weed people out on their academics. The more important issue is whether your degree classification / a levels will be enough for employers. Some law firms require AAB+ and 2:1s (probably some actually require a first but don't say that they do).

History is a fine subject to go into law from. Look at Jonathan Sumption for instance. But really, any academic subject is fine and history undoubtedly is academic.
Reply 2
Original post by Forum User
I haven't done the GDL but can answer some of your questions anyway.

There is not a massive difference in course providers. If you want to save money those outside London are cheaper. On the subject of saving money if you want to work as a solicitor after qualifying then some firms will pay for you to do the GDL and LPC, in which case they will tell you which provider to go to. You can apply for Training Contracts next year (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

re. A-level / degree classification. Technically you need a 2:2 to do the GDL. I'm sure if you had a third they would let you do it as long as you had a cheque for the course fees in your hand. The GDL providers have no particular reason to weed people out on their academics. The more important issue is whether your degree classification / a levels will be enough for employers. Some law firms require AAB+ and 2:1s (probably some actually require a first but don't say that they do).

History is a fine subject to go into law from. Look at Jonathan Sumption for instance. But really, any academic subject is fine and history undoubtedly is academic.

In reference to the grades required, do you think it would be worth resitting one of my A Level modules? I got ABB, but I was one mark off an A in both of my B grade subjects (one of which was Law).
Reply 3
Original post by mellie220
In reference to the grades required, do you think it would be worth resitting one of my A Level modules? I got ABB, but I was one mark off an A in both of my B grade subjects (one of which was Law).

I have gone thru the whole process Durham/GDL/BPTC/

Regarding A-Levels, do you intend to go to the Bar or solicitor route?? If the former, A levels are not such a big deal provided you do well on on degree.
Reply 4
Hello :smile:
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some in depth (or websites with depth) information about the GDL, I've known since I started University that I wanted to pursue Law after I'd done an undergraduate in History. Now I'm going into my second year I think it's time to do some more research.
I was wondering if there is a 'best' course provider? (I've presumed it's City Law School, but I could be wrong) and what A-Level/Degree level do you need to have a chance to get onto that course?
Is History a desirable subject to have as a degree when applying to the GDL?

Also, has anyone on TSR gone down the GDL route? It would be really great to hear a personal insight into it.

From my experience, it does not matter in the slightest where you go. It is tough wherever you go.....
Reply 5
Original post by Luckypupil
I have gone thru the whole process Durham/GDL/BPTC/

Regarding A-Levels, do you intend to go to the Bar or solicitor route?? If the former, A levels are not such a big deal provided you do well on on degree.

I was favouring the Bar route, although I may change my mind - I'm going to do more thought on which one I'd prefer throughout this year.

If I were to take the Bar route wouldn't a 1st in my degree be enough? Or would my A-Levels have to be higher despite that due to the competition?
Reply 6
I was favouring the Bar route, although I may change my mind - I'm going to do more thought on which one I'd prefer throughout this year.

If I were to take the Bar route wouldn't a 1st in my degree be enough? Or would my A-Levels have to be higher despite that due to the competition?

Greater weight is given to degree result, so if you get a first, then your A-Levels shouldn't matter that much for the Bar. I'm not saying it's a dead cert that you will make it with a first, but you will be in the race. I'm also not saying you cant do it with a 2:1, but it will be tremendously more difficult and the odds will be against you...

In short, a ABB + 1st class degree from Kent gives you a reasonable chance at the Bar. A first from Kent is certainly better than a 2:1 from Durham (where I went)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Greater weight is given to degree result, so if you get a first, then your A-Levels shouldn't matter that much for the Bar. I'm not saying it's a dead cert that you will make it with a first, but you will be in the race. I'm also not saying you cant do it with a 2:1, but it will be tremendously more difficult and the odds will be against you...

In short, a ABB + 1st class degree from Kent gives you a reasonable chance at the Bar. A first from Kent is certainly better than a 2:1 from Durham (where I went)

Thanks for the information :smile:
Please could you tell me your general experience of the Bar?
Reply 8
Thanks for the information :smile:
Please could you tell me your general experience of the Bar?

I don't start until next year. soz :smile:
Reply 9
I don't start until next year. soz :smile:

Fair enough! Thanks for the information anyhow! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending