The Student Room Group

Wanted: a lip balm that actually works

Good people of TSR, I require your assistance!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to recommend me a lip balm that actually works - I have had dry, sore, chapped lips for ages (no need to go into minute details, I think you can guess what they're like!:redface: ) and I'm really fed up....

Anyway, a bit of a guideline/pedantic warning: I've tried Vaseline, and that doesn't work (seems to prevent them from getting worse rather than help make my lips better), and also Blistex, Carmex and Nivea lip care SOS (pale aqua tube) haven't worked :frown:

So, I'd appreciate the wise beauty know-it-alls to help me in my quest, (and, if you help me find one that works, a little rep will come your way :smile:)

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

~nat~
Good people of TSR, I require your assistance!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to recommend me a lip balm that actually works - I have had dry, sore, chapped lips for ages (no need to go into minute details, I think you can guess what they're like!:redface: ) and I'm really fed up....

Anyway, a bit of a guideline/pedantic warning: I've tried Vaseline, and that doesn't work (seems to prevent them from getting worse rather than help make my lips better), and also Blistex, and Nivea lip care SOS (pale aqua tube) haven't worked :frown:

So, I'd appreciate the wise beauty know-it-alls to help me in my quest, (and, if you help me find one that works, a little rep will come your way :smile:)

Thanks in advance!

Don't drink too much booze, do drink lots of fluids, stick to a balanced healthy diet, stay out of the cold (or keep warm) and don't pick/peel at your lips. In a week (or really, a few days) or so with any of the above products (I use Nivea something... other half strongly suggested so I obliged), I found my lips were significantly better....
I recommend Softlips, it comes in a long thin stick, it's about £2 from Superdrug or Boots. I find it tonnes better than the greasy mess that is Blistex, Vaseline, Chapstick etc. :smile:
Reply 3
I just use superdrug's own brand, it works wonders for me.
Reply 4
Body Shop chap stick/moisturising lip stick is really good but their lip balm pots are uber greasy.
Reply 5
I always use Vaseline and when I do my lips are super smooth. Lush do a very yummy one.
Reply 6
carmex its great i couldnt live without it
Reply 7
President_Ben
Don't drink too much booze, do drink lots of fluids, stick to a balanced healthy diet, stay out of the cold (or keep warm) and don't pick/peel at your lips. In a week (or really, a few days) or so with any of the above products (I use Nivea something... other half strongly suggested so I obliged), I found my lips were significantly better....

Aside from drinking more water, I do most of what you've suggested anyway... I was thinking more of a product as short-term relief, but thanks all the same :smile:

Tarts_n_Vicars - thanks, I think I've used that before aaaages ago, I'll check it out though!

EPD - thanks also.... do you know the name of it?

Root - yeah, I'm not a fan of those pots, although the smell of them is divine! I'll look out for the stick form though, thanks!

No Future - oh, which Lush one? I've never tried any of their stuff before :redface: Thanks to you too

Thanks for all suggestions so far, keep them coming!
Reply 8
You could try one of the lipbalms by Lush. I use their 'Lite Lip' and its really good, not greasy at all. They do a few different ones so you can pick your favourite :biggrin:

Edit: haha, I didn't see the rest of the Lush conversation, that's what happens when you leave your computer for a while mid-way through replying!
Reply 9
BeckiM

I've found Carmex to be similar to Blistex: it works initially, but then the effect wears off, and it just helps to remove the top layer of skin on your lips without actually having a significant 'healing' effect! But thanks for your suggestion though.
Reply 10
amie
You could try one of the lipbalms by Lush. I use their 'Lite Lip' and its really good, not greasy at all. They do a few different ones so you can pick your favourite :biggrin:

Edit: haha, I didn't see the rest of the Lush conversation, that's what happens when you leave your computer for a while mid-way through replying!

No worries, I appreciate the suggestion! I'll look out for the one you mentioned, thanks :smile:
i find a combination of nivea the greeny one and blistex work well for me. blistex only works for a while but i like the mintyness!
"Wisdom" works REALLY well. I got mine from Tescos and it was really quite cheap. I had disgustingly chapped lips every time I spent the night in my boyfriend's room (i think his heating was too hot or something), and it ruined my lips for ages. My mum gave me this balm, and it actually saved my life.
It's really soothing and it's more solid than greasy. After that's worked its magic, move on to something a bit more snazzy, like nivea :smile:
Reply 13
~nat~
EPD - thanks also.... do you know the name of it?

It's just a plain white stick that says "Fragrance Free Lip Balm" on it.
Reply 14
Hmm...
Reply 15
I recommend Chap Stick (but the one in a squeezy blue tube because it's gel not a stick)
Burt's Bee's have a good one, however it's white, like, totally white, so not too convienient if you're out in public...heh
Reply 17
i use lush honey trap and its good. smells yummy too
Reply 18
BeckiM

I love Carmex aswell. I use both Vaseline and Carmex and they both work on chapped lips.

My problem now is because I use them so often my lips have stopped producing thier natural oil so if I don't apply lip balm to them they get dry in like an hour :frown:
Reply 19
CARMEX and BURTS BEES all the wayy!!!

Quick Reply

Latest