The Student Room Group

Glow-up??

I’ve kind of been anxious about asking this because I know people don’t typically talk about appearance on here, but I wanted some advice.
So, I’ve kind of always hated my appearance. I’ve had anorexia and body dysmorphia in the past, and albeit I’m mostly recovered, I still really struggle with not feeling ugly. I know logically I’m not that ugly (potentially, I don’t know, I don’t have the most realistic self-perception) but I’m also not drop-dead gorgeous.
So whilst that was a very long explanation I’m getting to a point in life where I realise I can proactively take control of things I don’t like. So I wondered if anyone had any advice for how to improve appearance and just be a bit prettier, anything that has been a game-changer for them, since people on here seem to give pretty sound advice.
Thank you!!!☺️
Reply 1
Hair is a massive game changer!
The way you dress! Nails, lashes, lippies, contacts, accessories. The way you hold yourself! Confidence is also a massive game changer. Humongous. It's just hard to come by ahhaha but, fake it till you make it right?

Improve all the little things and it will have a massive effect. Learn how to do makeup that suits your features. What colours suit you the best? What style are you most comfortable, confident and feel most beautiful in/would like to dress in? Accessories are a big game changer for fashion and style. Accessorise any basic outfit and it will totally elevate it. Be hygienic and maybe spritz some perfume on for an extra little touch. Keep your lips moisturized, skincare, go to the gym maybe? Daily affirmations. There are lots of things that can be done to both boost your self confidence, self perception, and also your actual appearance.

But trust me. I know it's hard. Really hard. So hard that I know everything in theory, but even I still can't carry out everything. 😭 I'm still working on it but a lot of these things require time, money and effort (which I don't have)
I've started a "glowup book" in my Google docs (barely contains anything tho) which I use to record any products or styles etc. that I like and would like to invest in for my "future glowup".

But there are a lot of things you can do now with some discipline. Taking care of yourself, your mind and your body/health is a great start. Doing stretches in the morning. Hydrate. Etc.

I should really start taking my own advice tho 😵 I wish I had the discipline and motivation to truly glow up haha.

Of course, you don't have to take all of this advice. There's way too much here ahahah, it's almost impossible. But it's good for long term goals. Btw you're beautiful! Media often only portrays a fake reality: they show only the best angles and filtered pics/vids etc. and it's often a bit misleading. And my favourite line (excuse) is that: you're not ugly, you're just poor. 😆
Remember tho, our materialistic outer appearance will one day fade. The real beauty lays within! A pretty face accompanied by an ugly personality is not attractive. 😉 So don't get too hung up on it. Live your life to the fullest! It would be awful to let insecurities hold us back 🤧 (I know it's definitely easier said than done tho, I know it very well).
Hope this helped a little... I yap way too much.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Coeoe
Hair is a massive game changer!
The way you dress! Nails, lashes, lippies, contacts, accessories. The way you hold yourself! Confidence is also a massive game changer. Humongous. It's just hard to come by ahhaha but, fake it till you make it right?
Improve all the little things and it will have a massive effect. Learn how to do makeup that suits your features. What colours suit you the best? What style are you most comfortable, confident and feel most beautiful in/would like to dress in? Accessories are a big game changer for fashion and style. Accessorise any basic outfit and it will totally elevate it. Be hygienic and maybe spritz some perfume on for an extra little touch. Keep your lips moisturized, skincare, go to the gym maybe? Daily affirmations. There are lots of things that can be done to both boost your self confidence, self perception, and also your actual appearance.
But trust me. I know it's hard. Really hard. So hard that I know everything in theory, but even I still can't carry out everything. 😭 I'm still working on it but a lot of these things require time, money and effort (which I don't have)
I've started a "glowup book" in my Google docs (barely contains anything tho) which I use to record any products or styles etc. that I like and would like to invest in for my "future glowup".
But there are a lot of things you can do now with some discipline. Taking care of yourself, your mind and your body/health is a great start. Doing stretches in the morning. Hydrate. Etc.
I should really start taking my own advice tho 😵 I wish I had the discipline and motivation to truly glow up haha.
Of course, you don't have to take all of this advice. There's way too much here ahahah, it's almost impossible. But it's good for long term goals. Btw you're beautiful! Media often only portrays a fake reality: they show only the best angles and filtered pics/vids etc. and it's often a bit misleading. And my favourite line (excuse) is that: you're not ugly, you're just poor. 😆
Remember tho, our materialistic outer appearance will one day fade. The real beauty lays within! A pretty face accompanied by an ugly personality is not attractive. 😉 So don't get too hung up on it. Live your life to the fullest! It would be awful to let insecurities hold us back 🤧 (I know it's definitely easier said than done tho, I know it very well).
Hope this helped a little... I yap way too much.

thank you!!! This is amazing advice! I wish you all the best in the future.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
thank you!!! This is amazing advice! I wish you all the best in the future.

Thank you 😊 you as well!! Take caree
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve kind of been anxious about asking this because I know people don’t typically talk about appearance on here, but I wanted some advice.
So, I’ve kind of always hated my appearance. I’ve had anorexia and body dysmorphia in the past, and albeit I’m mostly recovered, I still really struggle with not feeling ugly. I know logically I’m not that ugly (potentially, I don’t know, I don’t have the most realistic self-perception) but I’m also not drop-dead gorgeous.
So whilst that was a very long explanation I’m getting to a point in life where I realise I can proactively take control of things I don’t like. So I wondered if anyone had any advice for how to improve appearance and just be a bit prettier, anything that has been a game-changer for them, since people on here seem to give pretty sound advice.
Thank you!!!☺️
COLOUR PALETTE
You can easily look different by wearing the right colours for you. Colours can wash you out - making you look dull or colours can compliment you. There are many tests online to determine where you roughly stand. Of course you can wear whatever you want but knowing what colours you look best in is defo something you want up your sleeve. Not only colours but knowing if gold/silver jewelry works for you too.

Posture is a good idea to consider. If you slouch alot, not many people will find that attractive but if you appear to be more straighter, you can show more elegance.

Then little things like mascara, eyeliner, lip tint + lip balm can make you look effortlessly prettier.
Reply 5
Original post by cherrycosmos
COLOUR PALETTE
You can easily look different by wearing the right colours for you. Colours can wash you out - making you look dull or colours can compliment you. There are many tests online to determine where you roughly stand. Of course you can wear whatever you want but knowing what colours you look best in is defo something you want up your sleeve. Not only colours but knowing if gold/silver jewelry works for you too.
Posture is a good idea to consider. If you slouch alot, not many people will find that attractive but if you appear to be more straighter, you can show more elegance.
Then little things like mascara, eyeliner, lip tint + lip balm can make you look effortlessly prettier.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending