The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to study in the UK?

Im an international student frm australia. I hv an offer and scholarship frm university of melbourne for bachelor of commerce. Right now im struggling to decide whether to study in aus or in the uk. I hv an offer frm uni of manchester and still waiting for ucl, kcl, lse.

Aside frm the costs bcs i know that it will be expensive to study abroad, can someone advice on whether those unis are worth it. Worth it as in prestige, future careers, university experience, etc
Original post by sqvt
Im an international student frm australia. I hv an offer and scholarship frm university of melbourne for bachelor of commerce. Right now im struggling to decide whether to study in aus or in the uk. I hv an offer frm uni of manchester and still waiting for ucl, kcl, lse.

Aside frm the costs bcs i know that it will be expensive to study abroad, can someone advice on whether those unis are worth it. Worth it as in prestige, future careers, university experience, etc

Hello!

I think it is amazing that you are thinking of studying in the UK! I would say no matter where you end up, there is something great in each place! All these university's you have applied to are very well known and highly viewed in terms prestige and ranking. Alongside this, they are all based within 2 major cities, meaning there is always lots to do with the university's own Student Unions, or within the city itself. Each offer their own amazing modes of transport, such as trams and the tube meaning you can travel within the cities and out very easily, as well as both having large airports for yourself to fly into!

As you said moving abroad is not cheap or an easy decision, however you can learn so much by spending some time elsewhere:h: The people you met and the experiences you can have will be worth it!

I hope all you offers go well! and that you do what makes you happy! :h:

Best wishes,
Official Essex Rep - Morgan X
What would you be studying and do you have the right to work in the U.K.?

How much would the university in Australia cost?
Original post by sqvt

If you ever want to work internationally I guess, if you are going to stay where you are then take your place at Melbourne, my opinion anyway.
If the Australian scholarship is substantial, it could take a while for any potential benefit from a UK degree to recoup the difference.

As above, you might want to consider where you want to work in the future.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What would you be studying and do you have the right to work in the U.K.?

How much would the university in Australia cost?

Economics and management or management only

Right to work in uk im not too sure about. Could u explain how it works?

15k aud (£8500) per year. Scholarship is for living allowance which is 10k aud per year
Reply 6
Original post by random_matt
If you ever want to work internationally I guess, if you are going to stay where you are then take your place at Melbourne, my opinion anyway.

I definitely want to work internationally at some point later. If i dont go to the uk for undergrad then i will think abt going for postgrad.
Original post by sqvt
Economics and management or management only

Right to work in uk im not too sure about. Could u explain how it works?

15k aud (£8500) per year. Scholarship is for living allowance which is 10k aud per year

Well - the right to work in the UK means that you have (or can apply for) a British or Irish passport or have some other way to obtain a visa which allows you to take on permanent work. The most common route for Australians is if they had a British born grandparent.

If you take a degree in the UK you can get a two year visa where you can work - and also apply for jobs which might sponsor a visa for you for a longer term. As it happens this doesn't seem to place you in a better position than were you to graduate from the University of Melbourne as that would qualify you for a High Potential Individual visa (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/high-potential-individual-visa-global-universities-list/high-potential-individual-visa-global-universities-list-2021). Disclaimer: immigration rules change regularly.

So - I think an economics degree at KCL is £31k a year plus living costs. So around AUD 118k more expensive over three years for fees - looking at living costs in addition it might cost you AUD 200k more (depending on lifestyle and how you would live in Melbourne). Maybe LSE economics is a big enough name to be worth it? I doubt the others make any huge difference and especially so for management courses.

So it comes down to whether the experience of living overseas is worth that amount to you. I can't see how there would be a return on capital and especially so paying Australian or British tax rates. Do Melbourne have a study abroad scheme which would allow you to spend a year overseas paying Australian university fees? Looking at the website there seem to be a lot of opportunities to do so. Alternatively, studying for a masters degree tends to be a decent alternative to a full three years of costs.
Original post by sqvt

Hi
Hope you doing great ☺. I am studying here at the Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford in the UK. I am from India and had offer letters from both, australia and uk universities. After considering many factors I decided to go for UK.

UK provides high quality education for every sector. I am pursuing MBA in Finances with modules in Marketing and Social Media Marketing. It open up different sectors of job opportunities for me. My university also provides the opportunity for students to have extra modules as ARU CPD that can accredited into your transcript.

Also in UK, the living culture is full of experiences. The culture here is so calm and good that I personally have felt a positive change in my personality. Students from all around the world join the university and culture exchange is full of experiences.

Hopefully my experience is would be helpful for you to make a decision.
Thanks☺

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending