The Student Room Group

Suits at interview?

Just wondered how many of those who got accepted wore suits etc for their interview? Coming from an all-boys school this is what we're encouraged to do! Had a bad year this time round, although one guy turned up to his interview wearing jeans and a T-shirt and still got an AAA offer for Engineering. I know that the official line is that the admissions tutors don't care- but supposedly a suit etc makes a better impression. On the other hand, i suppose you risk looking like a ponce. Any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
MrKeen
Just wondered how many of those who got accepted wore suits etc for their interview? Coming from an all-boys school this is what we're encouraged to do! Had a bad year this time round, although one guy turned up to his interview wearing jeans and a T-shirt and still got an AAA offer for Engineering. I know that the official line is that the admissions tutors don't care- but supposedly a suit etc makes a better impression. On the other hand, i suppose you risk looking like a ponce. Any thoughts?

Wear a suit mate...i did and i got an offer. I doubt that whether you wear a suit or not has a direct bearing on if you get accepted or not....but look at it this way...you cannot go wrong with a suit at all..it's smart, tidy and you'll look good too!

Also though...it will add to the interviewers' general impression of you and may be the thing in the back of their mind which wins them over if it comes to choosing between you and someone else...even though it shouldn't.

G
Reply 2
MrKeen

I would say smart casual is the best way to go. Not that I think it makes a real difference but yea....
Reply 3
MrKeen

you wont look like a ponce at cambridge as there will be quite a few others wearing suits, i did.

u only look like a ponce wearing a suit at a place like kingston etc.
if they cant remember what you were wearing thats good.. shows your clothes werent detracting from what youwere saying.. if they remember you as the guy who wore the black t shirt with the untidy jeans theyll think of that rather than what you said.. a suit is clean, tidy and forgettable
Reply 5
suit for girls too????
Reply 6
keithy
you wont look like a ponce at cambridge as there will be quite a few others wearing suits, i did.

u only look like a ponce wearing a suit at a place like kingston etc.

Haha!! Kingston!! What a craphole!!! just jokin...I go to school there

G
Reply 7
Hardly anyone wore a suit when I weas there for interview, I suppose it depends on the college though. Why not take a range of things and in the end just where whatever feels most comfortable, you'll probably have a meeting (at Oxford anyway) with the tutors' before your interview so it might make sense to take your lead from them.
Reply 8
Katie Heskins
suit for girls too????

I wore a suit for mine. With a shortish skirt, and as it was mid-December I nearly froze to death! Even the Big Issue man asked if I was ok (looking blue, out of breath and terrified!). I only saw two other interviewees - a girl not wearing a suit, who is now in the 2nd year, and v cute Irish guy in a suit, who apparently hasn't got in.
Reply 9
Katie Heskins
suit for girls too????

If you want to :smile: I decided not to because I thought I would look silly (didn't think it would suit me) and I didn't think it would be very comfortable. Instead I decided on a shirt with a woolly tank top over it plus a smart skirt (beware, it is absolutely freezing when you go there!). I would definitely wear a shirt at least but a suit is by no means necessary. Quite a comfty, smart and warm look is to wear a shirt with a jumper on top with smart trousers/skirt.

However, all the male medical applicants I saw were all wearing suits and the female applicants were definitely dressed smartly. Also, all my interviewers were wearing suits so I think it was expected for us (medical applicants) to make the effort :smile:
Reply 10
Lucy
Also, all my interviewers were wearing suits so I think it was expected for us (medical applicants) to make the effort :smile:

When I applied, one of the tutors was wearing old trackie bottoms complete with holes, and a crinkled shirt poking out at all angles. Another went for the smart-casual chinos look, and the third was classic grey suit, shirt and tie. An eclectic bunch :rolleyes:
Reply 11
I went for the shirt, smart trousers & warm wooly cardigan! For me that was pretty smart!! I'd travelled up on the train the night before wearing my trainers, i forgot all about bringing shoes, ah well! :rolleyes:
Reply 12
I went for the in-between, normal gray trousers, shirt and jumper. Together with an incredibly gay gimpy hairstyle, which made me look like a genius I turned to see this professor person. I think she was quite happy with me. Out of the maths applicants to Balliol I haven't heard of anyone else who got in. By the way if you're out there say something
Reply 13
I was the most casually dressed amongst the history applicants at Pembroke.
Reply 14
And did you get an offer?
Reply 15
MrKeen
And did you get an offer?

Yes. Both the interviewers were casually dressed, and therefore felt comfortable dressed. The other applicants did not waste time in informing me that it was a "risky" strategy in not wearing a suit etc etc etc.
I just wore a fairly smart jumper with a shirt and cords.... I didn't get an offer, but I really don't think what I wore had anything to do with it. However next time I would wear a jacket and tie, if only to feel more confident and look the part. My headmaster actually advised against wearing a tie, as we didn't want to look too public-schoolie, but he's not necessarily right.

Incidentally only two of my seven interviewers wore a tie, so you may wish not to wear one so as not to show them up!
I got an offer, and I just wore a sweater and black trousers. I think wearing a suit would have made me feel awkward. The general impression I got from the interviews were that they were more or less intended to simulate supervision sessions, so I think it is best to wear neat and tidy clothes, but nothing too fancy. While tattered jeans and a t-shirt might make you look as if you are not taking the interview seriously, a suit may give the impression that you are compensating for something.
i wore smart casual and have long messy hair. i got in.

mb
my school told me not to wear a suit just to go smart casual. i think i was probably the most casually dressed there though (in a denim skirt, casual shoes and plain top and jacket and blue streaks in my hair) but i still got an offer so don't really think it mattered. the 3 interviewers were all fairly casual as well though so didnt feel 2 unsmart!

Latest

Trending

Trending